Do you intend to come and look at the Bayeux tapestry?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.

yes
19%
no
68%
maybe
14%

Total votes: 37

mercalia

Post by mercalia »

"The epic portrayal of the Norman invasion of 1066 is bound for Britain"

I wonder why now? any political motive? That we are "really" French? and Brexit a nonsense?

https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/2018/jan/17/the-bayeux-tapestry-historic-yes-but-is-it-any-good?utm_source=esp&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=GU+Today+main+NEW+H+categories&utm_term=260850&subid=23601318&CMP=EMCNEWEML6619I2
al_yrpal

Re: Do you intend to come and look at the Bayeux tapestry?

Post by al_yrpal »

No, seen it in Bayeaux and we have a great replica nearby in Reading Museum

Ak
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
mjr

Post by mjr »

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/ ... an-britain says we don't yet know where it would be hosted and anyway, it's mainly more about history of the nobility than anything relevant to the common man, centring on a royal whose line arguably died out in 1134 and has been fudged since 1087, isn't it?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

I have already seen it, in Bayeux c1972

What could the UK lend to France in return?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

No. I've seen it twice already in Bayeaux, early 1970s and about 2005.
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

tatanab wrote:No. I've seen it twice already in Bayeaux, early 1970s and about 2005.

I see you and raise you 1987 and 2016 :wink: .
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

That we are "really" French? and Brexit a nonsense?

Interestingly, the Normans were Vikings, and not French at all.

Literally Norse Men.
mjr

Post by mjr »

Cyril Haearn wrote:I have already seen it, in Bayeux c1972

although he often makes an exhibition of himself in Strasbourg already, doesn't he?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

BrianFox wrote:
That we are "really" French? and Brexit a nonsense?

Interestingly, the Normans were Vikings, and not French at all.

Literally Norse Men.

well if you want to split hairs - the French were visigoths? so not French at all. came down from central europe, pushed down into europe by the movemtn of other peoples?
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Norse men who settled in France and gave service to the existing French nobles on the battlefields of believe. Became accepted and integrated into the society of the day.

Ppls in Britain were germanic at the time and remained so afterwards but it all got mixed up with time and do we even know if we're of saxon or Norman stock these days?

Bayeux tapestry is in storage. They show a replica in the museum for quite some time. So tbh I doubt anyone has seen the actual tapestry.

Currently the bayeux museum is shut for renovation so nothing is on show. They've not let the tapestry move since it was shown in Paris at the end of the WWII. However a British museum curator saw a chance and put in a formal request to borrow the tapestry. President Macron has authorised the lending of it but it's not his decision to make but the mayor of Bayeux. No decision has been made so far I believe.

Macron could be using it as good pr for his visit. Sorry he Is using it as good pr for his visit. Probably knowing full well it will never leave France.

BTW consider which tapestry is potentially coming over here. The real one that's getting towards 1000 years old or the replica? Bear in mind Himmler and the Nazis tried to waltz off with it but due to it being so fragile they never got it away. You think France is really going to send it over here?

If it's the replica coming over then why bother? There's perfectly good copy at Hastings I believe.

One final point. The actual tapestry shows more than just nobles fighting it out. It shows a lot more from the wider society of the day including ppl about their day to day activities (farming). It also shows quite openly what in today's sensibilities would be war crimes. That's why some claim it's made in the UK or the women making it were French but putting subversive images in it as a kind of protest. Whatever the reality it shows more than just the nobility.

Personally it's better to see a replica in the museum at bayeux not in a UK museum.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Shades of "Allo, allo" and the picture of the fallen madonna...
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

Tangled Metal wrote:Bayeux tapestry is in storage. They show a replica in the museum for quite some time. So tbh I doubt anyone has seen the actual tapestry.

Are you sure about that? I've seen it twice, most recently in autumn 2016. On neither occasion was there anything to say it's a replica. It's also kept in low-light, controlled humidity conditions and you evidently cannot touch it. I also think I read that they strictly control the number of people snaking round the tapestry so the humidity regulation isn't affected by too many bodies emitting heat and sweat.

Finally I saw it in 1987 too. I can't swear to it but I think it was in a completely different building then - but if so they must have moved it at least once in the last 30-odd years.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

If it's displayed very locally I might - but I suspect I could look at it in more detail, and comfort, with a better description... if I looked online.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

If I go, will I have to wear safety glasses? :lol:
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Cyril Haearn wrote:I have already seen it, in Bayeux c1972

Give 44.5M quid to strengthen our Borders on French soil, I hear...