Do you intend to come and look at the Bayeux tapestry?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.

Do you intend to come and look at the Bayeux tapestry?

yes
19%
no
68%
maybe
14%

Total votes: 37

Mick F
Spambuster

Re: Do you intend to come and look at the Bayeux tapestry?

Post by Mick F »

We have an idea for a trip over to Bayeux to see the tapestry there. Friends of ours are interested too, so we could make a small few days break for the four of us. (no cycling)

Mrs Mick F is trying to work out the best way to get there from Plymouth.
One idea was to get the ferry to Roscoff and train to Bayeux, but that seems far to long a journey time-wise on the French trains.
The other idea is get the train to Pompey and cross to Cherbourg (or somewhere) and train it from there.

Flying is out of the question.

Any advice?
Mick F. Cornwall
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Its a long tiring drive from Roscoff to Normandy especially after overnight on the ferry Did it in reverse last year. For you, the journey to Pompey is a long one anyway, then its at least 2 hours plus on the fast ferry to Cherbourg which is often constrained by the weather. You need a day just to get into the area.

My choice would be the Pompey route with an overnight and dinner at this hotel at St Vaast La Hogue not far from Cherbourg. http://www.france-fuchsias.com St Vaast is a charming little town with a great harbour, an island with a very interesting museum centred on a battle with the British. St Vaast produces 25% of France's oysters and for the French is a gourmet destination (not posh or inflated prices though). On your way to Bayeux you can call in at Utah beach and St Mere Eglise, there are, also Atlantic Wall emplacenents. The American cemetary at Omaha beach is, worth a visit, as is Aromaches and the Mulberry harbour. Another great night stop would be Honfleur a beautiful and interesting harbour. You could then return to Pompey via Le Havre.

Alternatively you could visit Reading Museum a few steps from the station and see an identical tapestry beautifully exhibited. :lol: (its free too…)

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Thanks for that. Good info.
We're not driving, but going by train. Foot passengers on the ferry.

Latest thoughts from SWMBO .................
Train to Plymouth and then to Pompey.
Stay overnight B+B ......... or perhaps overnight ferry with a cabin - cheaper than a B+B.
Ferry to Caen as Brittany Ferries do a deal on three nights B+B in Caen.
Easy direct train ride into Bayeux for the day.
Could get the overnight ferry back to Pompey, then trains home.

We're having a meeting later about this down the boozer, or so I am told. Can't refuse a beer or three! :D So I'll have to do as I'm told.
Mick F. Cornwall
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Pity you are not driving you will miss a lot, Normandy is a very interesting place that I have toured by bike, yacht and Triumph Stag. Do visit the British Cemetery at Bayeux, a very moving experience.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I've been to Normandy before, and cycled round and about there.
My ship was in Caen, and I cycled to Arromances and to see the tapestry in Bayeux and the following day went east.

Moving experiences all round when we visited the 1st World War graves in Flanders. Tyne Cott and Eypres, Hill 60 too.
Mick F. Cornwall
Flite

Post by Flite »

Not unless it is going to be in the North of the UK - Durham, Carlisle, Edinburgh. Folks in London and the south can go and see it in France easier than I can go to see it in London. And it's time we got the Lindisfarne Gospels back from London anyway.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

^^^^
+1

London is a daft place to have things to see - geographically speaking.
Move the capital city to the Midlands. Brum maybe.
Mick F. Cornwall
Flite

Post by Flite »

Yep.
Upgrade the East Coast main line, develop Darlington airport (plenty of space if they are quick before it becomes a housing estate), move government departments to Doncaster and sell Westminster to the Americans!
And return Britain's historic treasures back to the regions - in free museums like they have in London.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

We love Barney!

Barnard Castle could be the capital, Bowes Castle could be Buckingham Palace
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Flite

Post by Flite »

Barney is too nice, lets not spoil it.
Presume you mean Bowes museum - obvious candidate really with it's connections to the royals.
(And a reminder that most of our grand houses were built off the backs of miners.)
And if Bowes Museum was in London, admission would be free.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

There is a lot of space on Stanmore for a new capital like Canberra, just need to reopen the railway
Kirkby Stephen could be the new Clapham Junction
Flite

Post by Flite »

The steam loco snow plough would do a good job of keeping the trains running on the Settle to Carlisle line.
In 50 years time, I don't think folks will be watching film of the electric trains stuck in the South of England this week.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

it seems that there might be a good reason to see the REAL one as eg the one in Reading was "edited" by the Victorians to remove the naughty bits?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-england-berkshire-43331369/bayeux-tapestry-nudity-censored-by-victorian-english
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Flite wrote:Barney is too nice, lets not spoil it.
Presume you mean Bowes museum - obvious candidate really with it's connections to the royals.
(And a reminder that most of our grand houses were built off the backs of miners.)
And if Bowes Museum was in London, admission would be free.

Are museums in London free but not elsewhere? The NRM in York is free, +1

In Germany (and elsewhere?) there is a Museums Day, 13.5 this year, free entry, I plan to visit several museums and 'save' €20
Birthday children (and grownups) get free admission on their birthdays in some museums or even for a four hour cruise on the Rhein. I guess many are accompanied by paying guests and they spend on food and drink
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

When we lived in W Scotland in the early 1980s, we found that the museums in Glasgow were all free. We went to the Burrell Collection once and the Peoples' Palace two or three times.

As far as I know, English museums were all pay to enter. We visited the British Museum many years ago, and had to pay to go in.
Mick F. Cornwall