Rape accusations

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
reohn2

Rape accusations

Post by reohn2 »

In light of recent cases,is it time for annonimity for those accused of rape until proven guilty,indeed should it apply to anyone accused of any crime until the accusation isproven?
Do the recent cases also hinder people who've been raped or sexually assaulted of reporting the crime to the police?
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Psamathe

Re: Rape accusations

Post by Psamathe »

I have felt for some time that at least in sexual offences there should be anonymity for the accused unless there is strong case needing further crucial evidence - and that decision should be the exception and made by a judge.

False accusations have a devastating impact on the lives of the innocent, something that seems irrelevant under the current system. Society needs to protect the innocent as well as dealing with the guilty.

Ian
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Psamathe wrote:I have felt for some time that at least in sexual offences there should be anonymity for the accused unless there is strong case needing further crucial evidence - and that decision should be the exception and made by a judge.

False accusations have a devastating impact on the lives of the innocent, something that seems irrelevant under the current system. Society needs to protect the innocent as well as dealing with the guilty.

Ian

False accusations also undermine the system as they are the ones that gain publicity and devalue the testimony of the real victims
pwa

Post by pwa »

My wife had a colleague who was the victim of a false accusation, one that was easily disproved in the end but which had him suspended from his job for months, with a cloud of suspicion hanging over him. His accuser, it turned out, had a history of similar accusations against other people. All had suffered while she remained anonymous.

Real sexual offences have to be investigated, and genuine offenders prosecuted, and to do that we have to also investigate the false claims, since we cannot distinguish one from the other. But the accused will include some who are innocent, and we have to remember that.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Hence the need to actually deal with the accused as innocent until proven guilty.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

pwa wrote:My wife had a colleague who was the victim of a false accusation, one that was easily disproved in the end but which had him suspended from his job for months, with a cloud of suspicion hanging over him. His accuser, it turned out, had a history of similar accusations against other people. All had suffered while she remained anonymous.

Real sexual offences have to be investigated, and genuine offenders prosecuted, and to do that we have to also investigate the false claims, since we cannot distinguish one from the other. But the accused will include some who are innocent, and we have to remember that.

Apparently under 10% of rape cases result in a conviction. I't take a lot to convince me that the ones that don't are all false claims.

Over forty years ago I personally knew someone who raped and got away with it as far as the law was concerned. The raped girl was from a tough fen family and her brothers dealt with him. The damage to his testicles meant he was effectively castrated. He suffered other damage including the loss of his spleen and most of his teeth. Before this happened he'd been advised his best course of action was to walk into the police station, make a full confession and not ask for bail.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

pete75 wrote:
pwa wrote:My wife had a colleague who was the victim of a false accusation, one that was easily disproved in the end but which had him suspended from his job for months, with a cloud of suspicion hanging over him. His accuser, it turned out, had a history of similar accusations against other people. All had suffered while she remained anonymous.

Apparently under 10% of rape cases result in a conviction. I't take a lot to convince me that the ones that don't are all false claims.

I suspect that some that don't result in conviction were where a crime was committed but with inadequate evidence and others false allegations. I have no idea about the numbers. There seems little doubt that false allegations are made and the lack of anonymity of the falsely accused can be life destroying. Society needs to protect the innocent as well as punish the guilty.

My gut feeling is that when the identity of the accused is made public there is not always adequate justification on the grounds of finding additional victims (or to obtain additional evidence). Hence my suggestion that the Police should be obligated to maintain anonymity of the accused and they should be required to convince a judge of the need/reasons before "going public". I think maintaining anonymity of the accused should apply to more than just rape accusations.

Ian
PH

Post by PH »

When the day comes that all victims of assault can go into a police station and dealt with appropriately, then the argument against anonymity will go away.
pwa

Post by pwa »

pete75 wrote:

Over forty years ago I personally knew someone who raped and got away with it as far as the law was concerned. The raped girl was from a tough fen family and her brothers dealt with him. The damage to his testicles meant he was effectively castrated. He suffered other damage including the loss of his spleen and most of his teeth. Before this happened he'd been advised his best course of action was to walk into the police station, make a full confession and not ask for bail.

I don't think most claims of rape are false. I suspect most are genuine. But some are false, and we have to have a balanced way of dealing with these serious matters that also takes account of that.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

IMHO the problem with the accustion of rape is proof.
Generally unless there's witnesses or incriminating evidence,such as DNA or social media,etc,it comes down to accused word v the accuser.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
softlips

Post by softlips »

Yes, the accused should remain anonymous until convicted, perhaps unless they have previous convictions for the same.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

softlips wrote:Yes, the accused should remain anonymous until convicted, perhaps unless they have previous convictions for the same.

The issues arising v-a-v the accused getting a fair trial are very obvious in that scenario.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

There is far too much media coverage and speculation about all sorts of crimes
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

[XAP]Bob wrote:Hence the need to actually deal with the accused as innocent until proven guilty.

More difficult when it is a crime against the person

In some cases there will be indisputable evidence that there is a risk if that person is free. IN these cases being confined for the safety of the public may be at the cost of that presumption
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Yes, people are held pending investigation - that tends to be at the discretion of a judge though doesn’t it...

The police can’t just hold you indefinitely (well, unless they invoke the magic terrorist word)
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.