do we really need a traditional cooker anymore?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
mercalia

do we really need a traditional cooker anymore?

Postby mercalia » 23 Jan 2018, 11:45pm

Since I bought a halogen oven ( those large glass bowl things ), that together with my microwave and slow cooker thingy has served all my purposes and seems to be a very green soln as the amount of raw meterial they use is considerably less than a traditional cooker/oven? Only if you are gas user then the traditional oven/cooker is needed? The halogen oven is a most wonderful invention dont you think?

NATURAL ANKLING

Re: do we really need a traditional cooker anymore?

Postby NATURAL ANKLING » 23 Jan 2018, 11:51pm

Hi,
Lots of us are still using the second hand gas cooker we moved house with over twenty five years ago :)
Been promising to buy another cooker two Xmas's in a row.......one day maybe.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.

661-Pete

Postby 661-Pete » 24 Jan 2018, 12:35am

I've never heard of this thing - perhaps I've led too sheltered a life: not been cruising around Currys often enough....

It probably depends on what sort of ready-meals you need to warm up... :twisted:
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).

mercalia

Postby mercalia » 24 Jan 2018, 12:50am

661-Pete wrote:I've never heard of this thing - perhaps I've led too sheltered a life: not been cruising around Currys often enough....

It probably depends on what sort of ready-meals you need to warm up... :twisted:

not really, a halogen oven will cook anything a traditional oven will cook barring size ie a full size turkey. I have cooked joints of pork/lamb/beef, chops, small to medium chickens and this last xmas a smallish turkey breast, pizzas. really ideal for single people or maybe couples

halogen oven.JPG
halogen oven

https://www.which.co.uk/reviews/halogen-ovens/article/how-to-buy-the-best-halogen-oven

pwa

Postby pwa » 24 Jan 2018, 5:07am

I'm very fond of pressure cookers, which I reckon are one of the most efficient ways of cooking. With a large pan nearly full to the brim with vegetarian stew ingredients it takes a few minutes of gas burn to reach pressure, then the gas is switched off but the cooking continues until, twenty minutes later, the pressure has dropped and the lid can come off. It does at least two big meals for three people, with a bit of reheating the second time, of course.

Tangled Metal

Postby Tangled Metal » 24 Jan 2018, 8:16am

Just another gadget to clog up the cupboards. Not big enough to use for us where we're often cooking at least two different oven based meals. Pizzas, large joints, Xmas turkey, etc.

It might take over a lot of our cooking but not all. So we're not giving up on our preferred style of cooking for something that is close but not good enough.

I think that describes a lot of new gadgets That come out. Even the handy nespresso type of coffee makers don't beat the simple cafetiere or stove top espresso maker. Sometimes there's a good reason old tech lasts.

Cyril Haearn

Postby Cyril Haearn » 24 Jan 2018, 8:39am

pwa wrote:I'm very fond of pressure cookers, which I reckon are one of the most efficient ways of cooking. With a large pan nearly full to the brim with vegetarian stew ingredients it takes a few minutes of gas burn to reach pressure, then the gas is switched off but the cooking continues until, twenty minutes later, the pressure has dropped and the lid can come off. It does at least two big meals for three people, with a bit of reheating the second time, of course.

I would be a bit scared that the thing might explode
Entertainer, intellectual, idealist, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies

pwa

Postby pwa » 24 Jan 2018, 8:44am

Cyril Haearn wrote:
pwa wrote:I'm very fond of pressure cookers, which I reckon are one of the most efficient ways of cooking. With a large pan nearly full to the brim with vegetarian stew ingredients it takes a few minutes of gas burn to reach pressure, then the gas is switched off but the cooking continues until, twenty minutes later, the pressure has dropped and the lid can come off. It does at least two big meals for three people, with a bit of reheating the second time, of course.

I would be a bit scared that the thing might explode

The worst that can happen if you forget it's on and go and mow the lawn is that a small rubber plug blows off the top and a fountain of liquid hits the ceiling. An explosion is impossible with models from recent decades.

Tangled Metal

Postby Tangled Metal » 24 Jan 2018, 8:44am

It's noisy and scary the first few times you use one but they're pressure vessels and the manufacturer really does have a duty of care to make them safe. I would bet they very rarely explode in a dangerous way.

pwa

Postby pwa » 24 Jan 2018, 8:51am

Tangled Metal wrote:It's noisy and scary the first few times you use one but they're pressure vessels and the manufacturer really does have a duty of care to make them safe. I would bet they very rarely explode in a dangerous way.

That little black plug thing blows off if you really forget it. I've done it. Makes a hell of a mess but it does not explode. Shrapnel is not a risk.

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 24 Jan 2018, 9:08am

I was brought up with pressure cookers. We've been married over 44 years and we've had one since we first got married. In fact, we had one as a wedding present. Dunno how many we've had since then, perhaps half a dozen? They get worn around the sealing rim edges and the weight nozzle gets loose. A few times, the handles have broken.
Usually not worth repairing a pressure cooker that's a few years old and has seen hard daily use.

I can't imagine why anyone wouldn't use one.
Mick F. Cornwall

mjr

Postby mjr » 24 Jan 2018, 9:16am

Anyone using one of those plug-in steamers?

And do you know if the rice bowls are interchangeable? The one for ours is no longer made and slow cooker rice is good but sometimes you want to put the main course in it!
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.

Tangled Metal

Postby Tangled Metal » 24 Jan 2018, 9:27am

pwa wrote:
Tangled Metal wrote:It's noisy and scary the first few times you use one but they're pressure vessels and the manufacturer really does have a duty of care to make them safe. I would bet they very rarely explode in a dangerous way.

That little black plug thing blows off if you really forget it. I've done it. Makes a hell of a mess but it does not explode. Shrapnel is not a risk.

I did read about one of the safety release valves getting stuck once preventing it from operating. Can't remember the end of the story. That's possibly a very rare case.

I do believe some models have been recalled for safety reasons. So there can be risks but the manufacturers react to them. How well that reaction is I don't know.

Cyril Haearn

Postby Cyril Haearn » 24 Jan 2018, 9:59am

pwa wrote:

That little black plug thing blows off if you really forget it. I've done it. Makes a hell of a mess.. .

:(

I use a microwave mostly, set the time and it switches itself off
Did make a mess occasionally when I used too little water or too much cooking time, but the lentil soup did not hit the ceiling :wink:
Entertainer, intellectual, idealist, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies

kwackers

Postby kwackers » 24 Jan 2018, 10:03am

pwa wrote:The worst that can happen if you forget it's on and go and mow the lawn is that a small rubber plug blows off the top and a fountain of liquid hits the ceiling. An explosion is impossible with models from recent decades.

I once cooked a tin of sponge pudding by boiling it in a pan of water and forgetting about it.
That blew with an almighty bang and plastered the ceiling in sticky toffee pudding. Ended up painting over most of it, it was either that or sell the house.

My ex managed to set fire to some carrots in a microwave, something I'd have thought impossible. The plastic container melted enveloping them completely.

Never blown up a pressure cooker though - although I have used them to power steam engines (which I'm guessing is dodgy at best).