I do not believe it!

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
brynpoeth
Posts: 6528
Joined: 30 Nov 2013, 11:26am

I do not believe it!

Postby brynpoeth » 30 Jan 2018, 6:42pm

Every day one reads unbelievable true things in the newspaper..

Police cars in Brandenburg, Germany, are to be equipped with teddy bears which will be used to console children involved in 'accidents' or who are victims of 'real crime' 2000 teddies have been ordered, total cost is €7400. Source: nd

I love teddies and I love children, maybe it is not such a crazy idea :wink:
Cycling? Of course, but it is far better on a Gillott.. Alternative facts welcome

User avatar
661-Pete
Posts: 7089
Joined: 22 Nov 2012, 8:45pm

Re: I do not believe it!

Postby 661-Pete » 30 Jan 2018, 9:02pm

I was informed that, as a toddler, I had an inseparable bedtime companion whom I named "Wow-wow". Notwithstanding the appellation, photographs suggest that it was in reality a rather moth-eaten rabbit. No substitute was ever acceptable, so it seems.

But when its stuffing and general wear-and-tear started to get the better of it, my mother gently suggested that perhaps it was time to 'grow out' of it. She told me in later years that not only did I (aged about 4) agree to this, but I actually dumped the creature in the dustbin myself.

End of my 'soft toy' phase.....
Pete

Et qui rit des curés d'Oc?/De Meuse raines, houp! de cloques./De quelles loques ce turque coin./Et ne d'anes ni rennes,/Ecuries des curés d'Oc. - Louis d'Antin

brynpoeth
Posts: 6528
Joined: 30 Nov 2013, 11:26am

Re: I do not believe it!

Postby brynpoeth » 30 Jan 2018, 9:12pm

I had a teddy too, golden-brown, Toby was his name
40 years later I used to take the neighbours dog out, he was called Toby too
This should maybe go under 'amazing coincidences' :wink:
Cycling? Of course, but it is far better on a Gillott.. Alternative facts welcome

jgurney
Posts: 486
Joined: 10 May 2009, 8:34am

Re: I do not believe it!

Postby jgurney » 30 Jan 2018, 9:46pm

brynpoeth wrote: 2000 teddies have been ordered, total cost is €7400


At €3.70 a bear that is a pretty good deal. They won't have to be useful very often to be cost-effective.

User avatar
cycleruk
Posts: 4894
Joined: 17 Jan 2009, 9:30pm
Location: Lancashire

Re: I do not believe it!

Postby cycleruk » 31 Jan 2018, 9:36am

brynpoeth wrote: 2000 teddies have been ordered, total cost is €7400.
I love teddies and I love children, maybe it is not such a crazy idea :wink:

A nice little order for Steiff then. :wink:
Leave getting old to others.

User avatar
Mick F
Spambuster
Posts: 42502
Joined: 7 Jan 2007, 11:24am
Location: Tamar Valley, Cornwall

Re: I do not believe it!

Postby Mick F » 31 Jan 2018, 10:25am

brynpoeth wrote:Every day one reads unbelievable true things in the newspaper..

Police cars in Brandenburg, Germany, are to be equipped with teddy bears which will be used to console children involved in 'accidents' or who are victims of 'real crime' 2000 teddies have been ordered, total cost is €7400. Source: nd

I love teddies and I love children, maybe it is not such a crazy idea :wink:
Trauma Teddies.
Devon and Cornwall Police use them and have done for some time, no doubt other forces use them.

Locally, money was raised for them. Mrs Mick F and others were involved.
Mick F. Cornwall

brynpoeth
Posts: 6528
Joined: 30 Nov 2013, 11:26am

Re: I do not believe it!

Postby brynpoeth » 31 Jan 2018, 10:29am

Mick F wrote:
brynpoeth wrote:Every day one reads unbelievable true things in the newspaper..

Police cars in Brandenburg, Germany, are to be equipped with teddy bears which will be used to console children involved in 'accidents' or who are victims of 'real crime' 2000 teddies have been ordered, total cost is €7400. Source: nd

I love teddies and I love children, maybe it is not such a crazy idea :wink:
Trauma Teddies.
Devon and Cornwall Police use them and have done for some time, no doubt other forces use them.

Locally, money was raised for them. Mrs Mick F and others were involved.

Do they work? I know they have been used elsewhere
On the one hand I think it is obscene that the cops use teddies but don't bother enforcing the law, on the other..
Cycling? Of course, but it is far better on a Gillott.. Alternative facts welcome

profpointy
Posts: 432
Joined: 9 Jun 2011, 10:34pm

Re: I do not believe it!

Postby profpointy » 31 Jan 2018, 12:40pm

661-Pete wrote:I was informed that, as a toddler, I had an inseparable bedtime companion whom I named "Wow-wow". Notwithstanding the appellation, photographs suggest that it was in reality a rather moth-eaten rabbit. No substitute was ever acceptable, so it seems.

But when its stuffing and general wear-and-tear started to get the better of it, my mother gently suggested that perhaps it was time to 'grow out' of it. She told me in later years that not only did I (aged about 4) agree to this, but I actually dumped the creature in the dustbin myself.

End of my 'soft toy' phase.....


You can't throw wow-wow away just because of that.

Even Bagpuss himself, once he was asleep, was just an old, saggy cloth cat,
Baggy, and a bit loose at the seams,
But Emily loved him

User avatar
Mick F
Spambuster
Posts: 42502
Joined: 7 Jan 2007, 11:24am
Location: Tamar Valley, Cornwall

Re: I do not believe it!

Postby Mick F » 31 Jan 2018, 12:48pm

brynpoeth wrote:
Mick F wrote:
brynpoeth wrote:Every day one reads unbelievable true things in the newspaper..

Police cars in Brandenburg, Germany, are to be equipped with teddy bears which will be used to console children involved in 'accidents' or who are victims of 'real crime' 2000 teddies have been ordered, total cost is €7400. Source: nd

I love teddies and I love children, maybe it is not such a crazy idea :wink:
Trauma Teddies.
Devon and Cornwall Police use them and have done for some time, no doubt other forces use them.

Locally, money was raised for them. Mrs Mick F and others were involved.

Do they work? I know they have been used elsewhere
From what the police have told us, yes. They do work.
Mick F. Cornwall

brynpoeth
Posts: 6528
Joined: 30 Nov 2013, 11:26am

Re: I do not believe it!

Postby brynpoeth » 31 Jan 2018, 2:19pm

profpointy wrote:
661-Pete wrote:I was informed that, as a toddler, I had an inseparable bedtime companion whom I named "Wow-wow". Notwithstanding the appellation, photographs suggest that it was in reality a rather moth-eaten rabbit. No substitute was ever acceptable, so it seems.

But when its stuffing and general wear-and-tear started to get the better of it, my mother gently suggested that perhaps it was time to 'grow out' of it. She told me in later years that not only did I (aged about 4) agree to this, but I actually dumped the creature in the dustbin myself.

End of my 'soft toy' phase.....


You can't throw wow-wow away just because of that.

Even Bagpuss himself, once he was asleep, was just an old, saggy cloth cat,
Baggy, and a bit loose at the seams,
But Emily loved him

Maybe it was a wolfhound, half wolf half dog
There are all sorts of fantastic animals, the cat-fish for example
Cycling? Of course, but it is far better on a Gillott.. Alternative facts welcome

brynpoeth
Posts: 6528
Joined: 30 Nov 2013, 11:26am

Re: I do not believe it!

Postby brynpoeth » 5 Mar 2018, 10:37am

I do not believe it!

A motor showroom (!) hosts an exhibition of school rucksacks ('the first status symbol') (!) for children, although they will not start school until August

The rucksacks with unicorn designs etc etc cost up to € 300

'I do not know which to choose' whimpered a confused child. Mum, you decide please'

€€€ :(
Cycling? Of course, but it is far better on a Gillott.. Alternative facts welcome

JohnW
Posts: 5885
Joined: 6 Jan 2007, 9:12pm
Location: Yorkshire

Re: I do not believe it!

Postby JohnW » 6 Mar 2018, 2:15pm

brynpoeth wrote:............... I think it is obscene that the cops use teddies but don't bother enforcing the law, on the other..


They do actually, when there's enough of them not busy enforcing the law somewhere else.................they actually do a good job when they can.

User avatar
Mick F
Spambuster
Posts: 42502
Joined: 7 Jan 2007, 11:24am
Location: Tamar Valley, Cornwall

Re: I do not believe it!

Postby Mick F » 6 Mar 2018, 3:02pm

+1
There needs to be FAR more of them.

We saw two cop vehicles today.
One would have been the Cornwall copper, the other would have been the Devon copper.
We have the Devon and Cornwall Police Force .......................... one copper for each.
Mick F. Cornwall

User avatar
Audax67
Posts: 4072
Joined: 25 Aug 2011, 9:02am
Location: Alsace, France
Contact:

Re: I do not believe it!

Postby Audax67 » 6 Mar 2018, 3:13pm

brynpoeth wrote:Every day one reads unbelievable true things in the newspaper..

Police cars in Brandenburg, Germany, are to be equipped with teddy bears which will be used to console children involved in 'accidents' or who are victims of 'real crime' 2000 teddies have been ordered, total cost is €7400. Source: nd

I love teddies and I love children, maybe it is not such a crazy idea :wink:


Wait until some wee bugger bites off and chokes to death on the eye of one, or the stuffing turns out to be oozing dioxin and the cops grow extra bits and turn orange.
Have we got time for another cuppa?

brynpoeth
Posts: 6528
Joined: 30 Nov 2013, 11:26am

Re: I do not believe it!

Postby brynpoeth » 15 Jun 2018, 5:13am

The Grauniad reports that

Stone-stackers may be jailed!

I did not believe it for a moment, then I read the article, apparently the stonestackers may be messing up ancient sites
One wonders whether the stones had not been moved by weather or animals in the last couple of thousand years

Read about a stonestacker in the paper
"One harmless nutcase stacks them up, another harmless nutcase knocks them down" he explained
Cycling? Of course, but it is far better on a Gillott.. Alternative facts welcome