The Archers (R4) - Matt's hit and run

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Ben@Forest

The Archers (R4) - Matt's hit and run

Post by Ben@Forest »

OK - have to confess to being an Archers listener if not a fan - if I'm in the car at 2.00 or 7.00 or in the shed on Sunday morning I listen but don't go out of my way to tune in - but one thing is bothering me. In about November Matt was the victim of a hit and run. It annoyed me that in the few episodes I heard around that time the police seemed to be grilling potential suspects without ever doing the obvious thing - examining their cars.

But then I never found out what happened - did the police crack the case? Did I miss it or has it just all been quietly forgotten? For quite a big story line it seemed to go out with a whimper.
Last edited by Graham on 31 Jan 2018, 7:27pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Title
Cyril Haearn

Re: Matt's hit and run

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Was he cycling, walking or what?
Fraid I stopped listening to the Archers a while ago, but I remember a lot about it, Nigel fell off the roof at Lower Loxley..

And Mark Hebden died while driving and telephoning at the same time, stupid idiot :(
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Was he cycling, walking or what?
Fraid I stopped listening to the Archers a while ago, but I remember a lot about it, Nigel fell off the roof at Lower Loxley..

And Mark Hebden died while driving and telephoning at the same time, stupid idiot :(

I didn't hear the episode when he was hit but he was on foot. But had managed to upset a lot of people and was about to do a runner with a load of cash, so plenty of juicy suspects, but I don't know where it went.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Thank God it is only a story, not real life :wink:
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Didn't that woman Grace come a cropper - trying to get horses out of a burning stable?
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

661-Pete wrote:Didn't that woman Grace come a cropper - trying to get horses out of a burning stable?

Yes, she was killed for commercial reasons on the night ITV started broadcasting, so Phil married Jill instead
The latest sensation I remember is their son David planning to sell Brookfield for a million [for housebuilding I guess]
Seems quite realistic
I do regret never yet having been up Lakey Hill /Bredon Hill
Graham

Re: The Archers (R4) - Matt's hit and run

Post by Graham »

. . . or a cobbler's-load of politically-correct, propaganda . . . ..
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

I wish that a terrorist would wipe all of Ambridge out with a dirty bomb so no one could farm there ever again
rjb

Post by rjb »

Hang in there, PC Harrison Burns is on the case. My money's on Justin.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/article ... -the-frame

:wink:

I record the omnibus podcast every week and listen at my leisure. Best soap available, and no adverts. :D
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
661-Pete wrote:Didn't that woman Grace come a cropper - trying to get horses out of a burning stable?

Yes, she was killed for commercial reasons on the night ITV started broadcasting, so Phil married Jill instead
OK, it was a bit of a rhetorical question - but no matter! :wink:

Apparently there's an alternative version of the story. The actress Ysanne Churchman, who played 'Grace', was getting a bit too stroppy for the BBC paymasters' liking, demanding "equal pay for Equity members" and suchlike. We're on familiar ground here, what?! Anyway, the Beeb decided to write her out. Leastways, that's one version of what happened....

A similar thing happened a few years later in Mrs Dale's Diary - where the original eponymous actress, Ellis Powell, had drink problems so the Beeb got rid of her. On this occasion though, they decided not to 'kill' her (they'd got a lot of stick over Grace). Instead they just put in another actress (Jessie Mathews) and re-named the series The Dales. Ironically, Ellis Powell died a few months after she was sacked (Ysanne Churchman is still alive).

OK I may have read up a bit of background about the past machinations going on within the Beeb (and still going on today, so it seems). Doesn't follow that I know anything about the plots of The Archers.... or The Dales (now defunct) - so don't ask! :lol:
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Was he cycling, walking or what?

Wandering about in a drunken stupor.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

mercalia wrote:I wish that a terrorist would wipe all of Ambridge out with a dirty bomb so no one could farm there ever again

You're too late - Brian Aldridge is already doing that.....
rjb

Post by rjb »

Ben@Forest wrote:
mercalia wrote:I wish that a terrorist would wipe all of Ambridge out with a dirty bomb so no one could farm there ever again

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
softlips

Post by softlips »

rjb wrote:
Ben@Forest wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

:D
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

this is as much of the Archers as I can take - "The Bowmans" with Tony Hancock. Even then it seems The Archers was a joke :lol:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x5hg6q4

says it all really :lol: all the village falls down a an old mine shaft - good riddens to them all I say