Have Britain’s imperial fantasies given us Brexit??

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.

Have Britain’s imperial fantasies given us Brexit?

Poll ended at 10 Feb 2018, 9:07pm

Yes
78%
No
23%
Dont Know
No votes

Total votes: 40

661-Pete

Re: Have Britain’s imperial fantasies given us Brexit??

Post by 661-Pete »

pwa wrote:Mercalia was saying that it was part of pete's "bubble of fatasies" that..... etc. etc. etc.
Which part of "Some of us vote according to our principles" did you not understand?
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
pwa

Post by pwa »

661-Pete wrote:
pwa wrote:Mercalia was saying that it was part of pete's "bubble of fatasies" that..... etc. etc. etc.
Which part of "Some of us vote according to our principles" did you not understand?

I understand that bit perfectly. I just think you missed the fact that Mercalia was denying having done otherwise, rather than admitting to it in the way that your carefully cropped quote implied. The bit you quoted was what he was saying you imagined him to think, not what he actually thinks.

To be honest I don't care which of you was right in your arguments, I just thought your mis-reading was funny. I do it myself sometimes, so I'm not pointing the finger too much.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Mick F wrote:
pete75 wrote:
Mick F wrote:It's never been part of England, though the English think it is.

England = Angle Land as in angles and saxons = Anglo-Saxon.

As it happens, I'm Welsh.

People think it's part of England because it has been for about a thousand years.
King Athelstan set the boundary between England and Cornwall along the River Tamar a thousand years ago. I don't think that has changed.
Part of north Cornwall was given away as a dowery, and is now in England.

Talking of doweries, Shetland was loaned to Scotland by the King of Denmark, but the debt has never been settled. Therefore Shetland is Danish.

You've not seen this map have you Mick. It shows England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland. Note the location of Cornwall.

'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

To answer the OP's title post.
I reckon there was enough blinkered imperial fantasists who voted brexit in the referendum to do enough damage to ruin this country.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

pete75 wrote:You've not seen this map have you Mick. It shows England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland. Note the location of Cornwall.
You've not seen this map.
la-petita-cornualla-cerca-el-reconeixement-com-a-poble-i-lautonomia-politica-2.jpg
Mick F. Cornwall
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Mick F wrote:
pete75 wrote:You've not seen this map have you Mick. It shows England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland. Note the location of Cornwall.
You've not seen this map.la-petita-cornualla-cerca-el-reconeixement-com-a-poble-i-lautonomia-politica-2.jpg

So someone has got their crayons out and done Cornwall in a different colour. Big deal.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

:lol: :lol:
Maps are political. Depending on the political viewpoint, depends on how they are displayed.
They are not truth, just truth as you see it.
Mick F. Cornwall
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

The alternative being by ethnicity, which might raise a few more hackles...
Have we got time for another cuppa?
matt_twam_asi

Post by matt_twam_asi »

Thanks Mick, for showing that Brexiters aren't living in a past dreamworld. :wink:
rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

Rather, 52% of the voting population have had this fantasy stirred-up or planted by a lunatic, destructive party and its leader, supported by a couple of ambitious idiots whose very presence gave the whole damned idea undeserved credibility. These are the people who the day after the referendum seemed shocked at theier "victory" and were back-pedalling like mad.

How on earth the government - any government - is going to be able to unpick 40 odd years (is it 40?) of negotiating and horsetrading in 2 years is beyond me. Apart from losing (long-term, when we all change or minds) things like having our own currency instead of joining the Euro, not to mention the loss of valuable financial services.
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

No need to be Cornish OR English, one can be both
I am Welsh+German+English, in that order :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
pwa

Post by pwa »

Cornish is in England officially. There is no popular, serious campaign to change that. Just as there is no campaign for an independent Northumbria.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Officially by the English.
Not officially by the Cornish.

Some bedtime reading, but it's enough to send you to sleep before you've even got past the first page! :lol:
http://www.cornishstannaryparliament.co.uk
Mick F. Cornwall
pwa

Post by pwa »

Mick F wrote:Officially by the English.

Some bedtime reading, but it's enough to send you to sleep before you've even got past the first page! :lol:

I used to work with a bloke who banged on about independence for Kernow. Then over a few drinks one evening he admitted that he had been born in Surrey and his only connection with Cornwall was the five or six years he spent there in his childhood. But for him the independence thing was a joke, as it is for most people who go on about it. A bit of harmless banter to raise a smile.

More interesting are places like the Isle of man and the Channel Islands, not part of the UK. Officially.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Mick F wrote:Officially by the English.

That can't be right, it is in English!
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies