Have Britain’s imperial fantasies given us Brexit??

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.

Have Britain’s imperial fantasies given us Brexit?

Poll ended at 10 Feb 2018, 9:07pm

Yes
78%
No
23%
Dont Know
No votes

Total votes: 40

mercalia

Re: Have Britain’s imperial fantasies given us Brexit??

Post by mercalia »

Vorpal wrote:
mercalia wrote:
There are still people in the UK who feel that other countries have messed things up, and the British ought to go in and set things straight as they have done for so long.

Some of these cannot see that a diverse society is a natural outcome of the far-flung empire. You cannot have the empire and get rid of the immigrants. At least not without a return to the oppression of a century gone. Is that what they want?

You should change the range of your statements from some people to most people to see the mistake. Of course out of 60M there are some who would think the way you suggest: I think most people dont want to waste money on forereign adventures - the only one I can think of that was popular in recent memory was the Falklands War. It was once said that Britain was a nation of shopkeepers, that was the bottom line not lauding it over other places. Even in the C19 I think Gt Britain didnt like to interfer in other places esp under Gladstone, who was slow to send troops to relieve Khartoum and save Gordon. India was ruled by the East India Company ( Clive of India was an East India Company man?);

I used to sit at a lunch table in a British firm with a diverse work force, and our lunch table talk covered a wide range of subjects. I distinctly recall that over a discussion about more than one country in turmoil, that one colleague said, "We should go in and straighten out that mess, like when my grandfather served abroad." He said exactly that, and furthermore a couple of other people nodded their heads when he said so. On another occasion, when he said something similar, with a citizen of the nation in question sitting at the table (who appeared angry, but didn't say anything), I said, something like, "That's an attitude likely to cause resentment, isn't it?" and he dug himself a bigger hole by saying that they were a bunch of primitives who didn't have any hope of ruling themselves.

I said what I said deliberately, and I don't think it is a mistake. My former colleague may not be in the majority, but I highly doubt he is the only person who feels so. There are a many kind and open-minded people in the UK, but anyone who grew up there, or even some who grew up as British living abroad, have grown up in a culture imbued with the glory of the former empire. Perhaps not many articulate it, but it is there, nonetheless.

A few bigots dont prove a case. Its not a matter of being a person of good will just one of indifference, and I doubt there are many left who were brought up in the colonies now who remember the glory days, rather than the retreat & collapse - They would be in their 80/90's or older now, as the best of times would be the 20/30's before WW2? Rhodesia might be case I suppose was white ruled until 1980. 37 years ago, people would be in their late 50s onwards remembering the troubles there, the numbers would be very small ?
Last edited by mercalia on 19 Feb 2018, 5:56pm, edited 2 times in total.
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

pwa wrote:Must be quite a few % hate what the EU has become but were too scared of the predicted economic meltdown to vote Leave. I know people who voted Remain with reluctance and a heavy heart. Two can play at that game.

I'm not sure what game you think I'm playing?

Lots of things I'd change in the EU if I had a say (Which to a small degree I once did. Not anymore though.)

I wasn't scared of the "predicted" meltdown, listening to folk who actually knew how it worked suggested rather than a prediction it was pretty much guaranteed OR what brexit would actually be become would be nothing more than lip service.
They also pointed out a lot of what was being claimed we could have post brexit was already ours for the taking anyway.

And so far what they said is pretty much how its playing out.
As a computer programmer I can work anywhere I like in the world so I find it difficult to be scared. That said brexit has cost me no small amount of my own money and made it harder for us to hire talented folk who it turns out now think there are more attractive places to work.

If I'm honest I find the whole thing entertaining, although less so many brexiters because despite brexiters protestations I'm not seeing brexit as a coup of intellectualism.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
Mick F wrote:Only if Charles becomes King.

If he dies before HMQ, it will be Andrew who is next in line to the throne as the second oldest son.

Who will then be the Duke of Cornwall?
Usually the next in line to the throne.
Beatrice?

Only two Duchies:
Lancaster and Cornwall.
Monarch is Duke of Lancaster, next in line to the throne is Duke of Cornwall.
Mick F. Cornwall
pwa

Post by pwa »

kwackers wrote:
pwa wrote:Must be quite a few % hate what the EU has become but were too scared of the predicted economic meltdown to vote Leave. I know people who voted Remain with reluctance and a heavy heart. Two can play at that game.

Lots of things I'd change in the EU if I had a say (Which to a small degree I once did. Not anymore though.)

I wasn't scared of the "predicted" meltdown, listening to folk who actually knew how it worked suggested rather than a prediction it was pretty much guaranteed OR what brexit would actually be become would be nothing more than lip service.
They also pointed out a lot of what was being claimed we could have post brexit was already ours for the taking anyway.

As a computer programmer I can work anywhere I like in the world so I find it difficult to be scared. That said brexit has cost me no small amount of my own money and made it harder for us to hire talented folk who it turns out now think there are more attractive places to work.

If I'm honest I find the whole thing entertaining, although less so many brexiters because despite brexiters protestations I'm not seeing brexit as a coup of intellectualism.

The "game" is the one of appropriating votes that went the other way than the way you wanted. If just 2% had not fallen for..... then we would have won. There were also people sitting on the fence who ended up voting Remain through fear rather than hope. It's futile to play that game. Replaying history in your mind and hoping it might come out different.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

If he dies before HMQ, it will be Andrew who is next in line to the throne as the second oldest son.

No. Prince WIlliam is the next in line and would become king.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
pete75

Post by pete75 »

pwa wrote:
kwackers wrote:

The "game" is the one of appropriating votes that went the other way than the way you wanted. If just 2% had not fallen for..... then we would have won. There were also people sitting on the fence who ended up voting Remain through fear rather than hope. It's futile to play that game. Replaying history in your mind and hoping it might come out different.

Demographics dear boy - the Brexit majority has died and many young people have come of voting age since June 2016.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
pwa

Post by pwa »

pete75 wrote:
pwa wrote:
kwackers wrote:I'm not sure what game you think I'm playing?

Demographics dear boy - the Brexit majority has died and many young people have come of voting age since June 2016.

:lol:
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

pwa wrote:I must be a bit younger. I grew up aware that there had been an Empire, but it was already in the past and not much more than a bit of history.

Exactly, l think I'm a bit younger still and my vote had nothing to do with the faded glories of Empire. In fact part of the reason for my vote is that the structures of the EU are themselves involved in empire building, something l do not see as healthy.
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

pwa wrote:The "game" is the one of appropriating votes that went the other way than the way you wanted. If just 2% had not fallen for..... then we would have won. There were also people sitting on the fence who ended up voting Remain through fear rather than hope. It's futile to play that game. Replaying history in your mind and hoping it might come out different.

Nope.

I think you completely missed the entire point of my post. I appropriated nothing, simply pointed out that the headline was rubbish and why.
If you'd read it properly you'd see that I actually made the same point you've just made.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

pete75 wrote:

This is debatable.

If you are a rich industrialist with properties and loadsa dosh, and your natural successor to your fortune is your eldest child, and he dies before you do, who gets the dosh when you pop your clogs?
Your grandson from your first-born, or your second son?

I say your eldest surviving child.
You say your grandson.
Mick F. Cornwall
pwa

Post by pwa »

Mick F wrote:
pete75 wrote:

This is debatable.

If you are a rich industrialist with properties and loadsa dosh, and your natural successor to your fortune is your eldest child, and he dies before you do, who gets the dosh when you pop your clogs?

You say your grandson.

Does it work the same way as normal inheritance? I didn't think it did. It was my belief that if Charles stepped in front of the proverbial bus the succession would move down his family through William and William's children.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Mick F wrote:
pete75 wrote:

This is debatable.

You say your grandson.

The line of succession to the throne is laid out by law which was changed as recently as 2013. Andrew is about 6th in line to the throne.
An individual can write a will leaving his goods and chattels to his children in whatever way he chooses.

Oh and son doesn't apply any more. The 2013 act changed the line of succession from oldest male child to oldest child.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

pwa wrote:
Mick F wrote:
pete75 wrote:
This is debatable.

You say your grandson.

Does it work the same way as normal inheritance? I didn't think it did. It was my belief that if Charles stepped in front of the proverbial bus the succession would move down his family through William and William's children.

Please - we're talking about royalty here so you should say if Charles stepped in front of a Rolls Royce... :wink:
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

The Royal Rolls Royce eh?
:lol: :lol:

I said "son" to make the argument simpler, but I'm well aware of the new law regarding male/female succession.

Ok, let's say a hereditary Lord.
Eldest child inherits the title.
If eldest child dies before he/she inherits, it's the next eldest child.
If the dead eldest child had had a child before he/she died, who inherits then?

Edward VIII abdicated, and part of the abdication agreements were that he would forfeit any claim to the throne, and any child or grandchild etc etc would not be in line to a future throne. His line would be out of the succession.
If that part wasn't in the agreement, all sorts of inheritance issues would come up.

Wars have been fought regarding this.

......... the Andrew/William situation?
As I said, it's debatable.
Mick F. Cornwall
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

Mick F wrote:
......... the Andrew/William situation?
As I said, it's debatable.

Are the Royal Family really so disfunctional that there is no clear successor?
Surely there must be a definitive answer?
Surely??

Not "pistols at dawn" starring Andrew and Wiillam! (With Catherine and Harry as the valets, Harry acting for Andrew of course! )