First car in Space

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
mjr

Re: First car in Space

Post by mjr »

kwackers wrote:
661-Pete wrote:I know little about this Musk person, other than that his chief motive is that of making money. A characteristic of many businessmen....

No matter what you buy you'll buy it from a person & company whose chief motive is making money.

Not necessarily - there are also the public and civil sectors. In theory, the public sector's chief motive is serving the public (example: East Coast Trains by Directly Operated Railways) and the civil sector's chief motive is serving their users (example: any co-op).

However, Musk heads a private sector firm.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
kwackers wrote:I'd have gone with Audi but:

Undertake, if you please

To do what?
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Bonefishblues wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:
kwackers wrote:I'd have gone with Audi but:

Undertake, if you please

To do what?

Undertaking is going by on the inside, (not overtaking) vehicles are lhd, the BMW has a German numberplate (Aachen)
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

kwackers wrote: ... Just to point out, you know you've taken that sentence out of context?
If you include the line that went with it then it refers to "green" goals as well as making mankind an interstellar species. :wink:

Whilst I'm at it (I'm on my lunch), polluting space seems to be a common theme here.
So probably worth pointing out that this isn't earth orbit, it's orbiting the sun where there's pretty much no other debris.

The size of the area it's orbiting is big enough to dismantle the entire earth and put it in the same orbit, the car represents less than a grain of sand dropped into the oceans, it's vast beyond imagination.

On the positive side, he's close to perfecting reusable spacecraft. Unless we regress as a species back to banging rocks we're going to need spacecraft.
Being who he is he asked why rockets can't be reused and when told they just couldn't asked why and then proceeded to demonstrate that they could.

I've quoted the lot so you can work out which bit I'm commenting on.

I appreciated what my dear old dad meant the first time I saw a drained canal, although I'd have to say that quite a lot of my stones would have been as nothing compared with all the supermarket trolley, clapped-out mopeds, dogs in weighted bags, plastic crates, bakery trays, whatever.

The drop-in-the-ocean theme reminds me of a canteen conversation with a former colleague who had been a matelot. The discussion was about pollution of the oceans at a far-off time when an occasional oil slick was pretty much all we ever heard about. He regaled us with his tales of the filth which went overboard referring to the oceans as "the word's biggest dustbin" with utter contempt for anybody who didn't understand that the seas were so vast that they could not be affected by man-made pollution.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

The are or where rules about what might be thrown off a ship into the sea, I think almost anything was allowed :(
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:Undertake, if you please

To do what?

Undertaking is going by on the inside, (not overtaking) vehicles are lhd, the BMW has a German numberplate (Aachen)

My earlier post refers - it's overtaking, just on the inside, as I make earlier note - not "undertaking" :wink:
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

The bmw is trying to go faster to get to the fuel station before the tank is empty :?
Why, is it not an audi?
Edwards

Post by Edwards »

My feeling of this type of stunt is that is no different to throwing a plastic bottle in the sea for advertising.
It is just something that was never supposed to be there and should have been recycled.
Keith Edwards
I do not care about spelling and grammar
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

2nd hand car to get rid of; choice webuyanycar.com vs start a rocket company and fire it into space. Pretty obvious which is less work, less stress and world gets technological benefits at the same time.

Ian
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

Edwards wrote:My feeling of this type of stunt is that is no different to throwing a plastic bottle in the sea for advertising.
It is just something that was never supposed to be there and should have been recycled.

Err, no.

The sea is part of the eco system. Polluting it affects most things around you.
Space isn't. Pollution in space has zero effect on us down on earth - the only thing near earth orbit pollution makes difficult is more space stuff (and this isn't near earth orbit pollution).

Space is big, really big.
If you mash the earth up and put it into the same heliocentric orbit you'd struggle to find any of it. In fact it's so big that if you take a tea leaf out of a tea bag and throw it in the ocean you'll have polluted the ocean more than Musk has polluted the space inside mars orbit (where his car is).
And then there's the question of what is pollution. Anything out there is just rocks. Putting a car out there is no more pollution than putting another rock out there - something he'd have done had he put a lump of concrete in there instead (which if he had we wouldn't have pages of stuff about it).
Plus space is so big and there is so much junk already out there that there's a good chance that there are some car shaped rocks floating about somewhere!

Finally, sometimes the end justifies the means.
Musk has done more for sustainability on this planet than pretty much anyone else. He's made electric vehicles sexy, he's made home storage of energy sexy and he's made reusable rockets which pollute far less than any other rocket system in use.
He's got companies working on public transport systems and he's done more work in recent years to make vehicles safer than almost anyone else.
How has he done this? Through the very showmanship and self advertising people seem to have a problem with.
Perhaps you'd prefer an evil genius?
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

...and being able to walk the talk, too. By and large what he envisions gets built.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

mjr wrote:
kwackers wrote:
661-Pete wrote:I know little about this Musk person, other than that his chief motive is that of making money. A characteristic of many businessmen....

No matter what you buy you'll buy it from a person & company whose chief motive is making money.

Not necessarily - there are also the public and civil sectors. In theory, the public sector's chief motive is serving the public (example: East Coast Trains by Directly Operated Railways) and the civil sector's chief motive is serving their users (example: any co-op).

However, Musk heads a private sector firm.

That nice Mr Cameron talked about national happiness, what a shame he lost the referendum and had to go
Was he really a nice tory? :?
+1 for the co-op
hjd10

Post by hjd10 »

Bonefishblues wrote:...and being able to walk the talk, too. By and large what he envisions gets built.

+1

During a visit to Florida in 2016 me and my son decided to visit Kennedy space centre. Luckily we found out a Space X flight had been rescheduled while we were in Florida. What an experience watching a night launch.
I quite like how Elon Musk operates, he is an inspiration to the new engineering generation.
hjd10

Post by hjd10 »

kwackers wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:Getting a lot of free publicity, there is only one thing worse than not being talked about..
The Grauniad reports that the firm is losing quite a lot of money

Indeed.

And that is ultimately what the showmanship is about.
In order to get folk to invest a fortune in a car company making unfashionable cars he had to sell himself and the company. As a result folk pour money into it even though it's still making a loss because they have faith in him.
He made a prototype electric car that few could afford and used both himself and the car to sell the idea that electric cars were sexy. In doing so he's knocked years off the time it'll take for us to move to an electric (and thus ultimately greener) society.

Lots of folk could have done the same, none did. Prior to Tesla electric cars were something people made fun off "milk floats" but there's no way you could describe a model S as a milk float.
Currently his problem is one of production but he's moving forward on that.

(The article is about Tesla the car company, I've no idea on the state of play of Space X).

The successful launch of the Falcon Heavy is a game changer if he can match the success in future launches. The price of a Space X launch that delivers cargo into space will be considerably cheaper than anyone else can do it for. It is the fact that parts can be reused which is making system cheaper than competitors. But in the end he stands to make lots of $$.
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

RickH wrote:
reohn2 wrote:I understand the need to prove the payload but what would've been real genius would be a payload that self destructed,exploding concrete?

Hmm? Adding an explosive payload to the first launch of an untested rocket, what could possibly go wrong? :?

I'm not sure even the North Koreans would risk that one.

In the scale of things an explosive device is nothing compared to the explosive force of the fuel.