First car in Space

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
mercalia

First car in Space

Post by mercalia »

Have car Will Travel... I think he took the wrong junction to leave the motor way

Capture.JPG

"LIVE NOW! SpaceX Live Views of Starman CAR IN SPACE! On February 6th 3:45pm EST SpaceX launched their amazing Falcon Heavy rocket. In the nose of the rocket was STARMAN sitting in his Tesla car! It is hoped the car will be thrown into an elliptical orbit that stretches out to Mars' orbit around the Sun. The car will take at least six months to travel the 200 million miles to Mars. "

[youtube]m2p55BmwmJM[/youtube]
Last edited by mercalia on 7 Feb 2018, 9:30pm, edited 3 times in total.
kwackers

Re: First car in Space

Post by kwackers »

The whole thing was a fantastic spectacle, but this short (1m) clip taken by a member of the public of the boosters returning is my favourite.
(Watch with sound)

[youtube]Z_kfM-BmVzQ[/youtube]
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

well as the snap shows seeing the earth to the side of the car or reflected int he paintwork is some thing special
rjb

Post by rjb »

I thought this dune buggy was the first one. 1971,

You could call this a car as well but didnt have any seats, 1970

Free to anyone who wants to collect. :lol:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
mjr

Post by mjr »

Their navigation is as good as many motorists, it seems, so they ain't going to Mars... https://news.sky.com/story/wrong-turn-d ... t-11239916
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Some people's ego knows no bounds :lol:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

It seems this spaceX craft is now heading for the asteroid belt, by-passing Mars (probably just as well - NASA et al have already dropped enough junk on the Red Planet, quite a lot of it inoperative - no need for any more!)

Well, it's a shame it doesn't carry a more worthwhile payload. Such as sensors, cameras, etc., to probe and learn more about any asteroids it may encounter. The chances of it actually colliding with an asteroid are probably negligible.

As Reohn says, ego-trips are not the best way to carry out space exploration. Though I'm sure this launcher will be a useful asset.

Thought. How much will the fuel-burn, per launch, contribute to greenhouse gases - and climate change?
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

reohn2 wrote:Some people's ego knows no bounds :lol:

explain? I understand there was a chance it might blow up as this was a first. so not a good idea to put a real payload on board, better than a load of bricks
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

A pretty good way for an electric car mogul to demonstrate their true attitude towards the environment.
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

thirdcrank wrote:A pretty good way for an electric car mogul to demonstrate their true attitude towards the environment.

Space is infinite, the amount of junk in it is zero.
Anyway I'd have thought folk would have appreciated there being one less car on earth.

Personally I think he's great. Bit of a showman? Yep, but he's also a visionary. You might not agree with his vision but you can't deny his ambition.
pwa

Post by pwa »

Is it in a low orbit and therefore heading for re-entry?
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

kwackers wrote:
thirdcrank wrote:A pretty good way for an electric car mogul to demonstrate their true attitude towards the environment.

Space is infinite, the amount of junk in it is zero.
Anyway I'd have thought folk would have appreciated there being one less car on earth.

Personally I think he's great. Bit of a showman? Yep, but he's also a visionary. You might not agree with his vision but you can't deny his ambition.

Indeed. I am sometimes slightly frustrated at our lack of ambition on this board.
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

pwa wrote:Is it in a low orbit and therefore heading for re-entry?

I don't think so...
It was put in a roughly heliocentric orbit that could have put it in a loop around mars but lacked any 'precision' adjustments once it was up there. I think the 'rough' settings now mean it'll head out towards the asteroid belt before heading back (assuming it doesn't collide at high speed into a big rock, there are a few of them out there).
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

I know little about this Musk person, other than that his chief motive is that of making money. A characteristic of many businessmen....

I do know that questions have been raised about the true environmental cost of switching to an electric or hybrid car. Look especially at the paragraph on the environmental effects of building the car. Don't let this put you off, though, if you're thinking of switching. I probably will - some day.

Incidentally - and this came as a bit of an eye-opener - have a look at the Wiki article on Tesla Inc. and in particular scroll down to the paragraph headed "Planned models". :lol: :lol: :lol:

Explains a few things, though I hasten to add I look for alternative criteria when choosing my car..... :roll:
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

mercalia wrote:
reohn2 wrote:Some people's ego knows no bounds :lol:

explain? I understand there was a chance it might blow up as this was a first. so not a good idea to put a real payload on board, better than a load of bricks

The fact you need to ask that question seems to indicate you dont understand what's going on by throwing a car with a space suited manikin in it,into space.
It says "am da man dude,an' don't ya fo'get it!" It's crude rude and as TC and speaks volumes about someone who espouses green energy.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden