First car in Space

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Cyril Haearn

Re: First car in Space

Post by Cyril Haearn »

leftpoole wrote:It was an amazing takeoff and returned booster rockets.
But the best and greatest thing ever to go into space, is the continuous loop tape playing Starman from David Bowie which is simply wonderful.
John

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my stupid phone.

When the aliens find it they will think we earthlings are mad, maybe that is the idea, they will be afraid to try to contact us :D
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

kwackers wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:Have you seen the battery life of a Tesla. Millennia, for sure, maybe even longer.

No batteries in it, they were taken out in case it blew up on take off scattering 1000kg of lithium into the atmosphere.
The car is mostly inert otherwise it wouldn't have been allowed up.

But it must have a power source and I wonder how long it will last?
It's slowly rotating so I'm guessing there's no comms dish which means it must be using a fairly high power transmitter through a fairly crap antenna so I suspect whatever is running it they're not expecting it to last that long.

12 hours or so... :(
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

[youtube]zR3Igc3Rhfg[/youtube]
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Pastychomper

Post by Pastychomper »

Cyril Haearn wrote:When the aliens find it they will think we earthlings are mad, maybe that is the idea, they will be afraid to try to contact us :D

So they're trying to reinforce Watterson's Theorem? ("the surest sign of intelligent life in space is that none of it has tried to contact us.")
Everyone's ghast should get a good flabbering now and then.
--Ole Boot
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Pastychomper wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:When the aliens find it they will think we earthlings are mad, maybe that is the idea, they will be afraid to try to contact us :D

So they're trying to reinforce Watterson's Theorem? ("the surest sign of intelligent life in space is that none of it has tried to contact us.")

Perhaps they see us as a lost cause :wink:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
pete75

Post by pete75 »

First car in space - that'll be Supercar - over 50 years ago :D

[youtube]E8m9Z010pM4[/youtube]
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker