New BBC online weather site

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Si

New BBC online weather site

Post by Si »

Looking at the new weather site on the BBC, I clicked on the 'Weather alert' for my area and noticed this message:

Following a spell of rain and hill snow, temperatures will fall quickly allowing widespread ice to form on untreated pavements, cycle paths and roads.

Dunno if they have done it before now and I'd not noticed, but it seems that they finally realise that there are people other than drivers in the country!

Although I'm still not finding the rest of the site as good as the previous one.
Psamathe

Re: New BBC online weather site

Post by Psamathe »

Si wrote:Looking at the new weather site on the BBC, I clicked on the 'Weather alert' for my area and noticed this message:

Following a spell of rain and hill snow, temperatures will fall quickly allowing widespread ice to form on untreated pavements, cycle paths and roads.

Dunno if they have done it before now and I'd not noticed, but it seems that they finally realise that there are people other than drivers in the country!

Although I'm still not finding the rest of the site as good as the previous one.

I don't use the BBC Weather any more but I understood it has now been taken over/provided by MeteoGroup. I do have some dealings with MeteoGroup and got a notification from them the other day about changes they had made to the BBC Weather Site. Unfortunately I didn't pay a lot of attention as I use MeteoGroup forecasts directly rather than through the BBC.

Certainly their mobile WeatherPro app (I use the iPhone one) is way way ahead of the Met Office one and the last BBC one I saw (in the days before took over from the Met Office) and I've found MeteoGroup forecasts (for the UK) fsr better than Met Office ones.

Above is my understanding as I don't pay a lot of attention to the BBC forecasts.

Ian
mjr

Post by mjr »

Si wrote:Looking at the new weather site on the BBC,[...]

What new weather site? http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/ still looks the same to me as it has for a while, although the warning wording has changed as mentioned.

Open Weather Map and apps based upon it for me. Forcastie seems OK. Privacy Friendly Weather has some nice features, but doesn't cache results so you need to be online to check it.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

I just use the weather app in Windows 8.1/10
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Mentioning ice on cycle paths seems like lip-service to me: if they mention ice on untreated surfaces, I know that cycle paths will be untreated.

The main difference I've noted is that you can no longer have a favourite place or whatever they call it without creating an account.