Vaping - Horrible Smell

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Psamathe

Vaping - Horrible Smell

Post by Psamathe »

I went to a lecture last night and somebody two seats away was vaping and it was a revolting smell! I'd assumed it would have been banned in public places ....

It was not a strong smell but it was like "stale lavender" and quite horrible. Definitely the vaping as each time a "cloud" appeared, so did the smell which then slowly dissipated. I'm actually an ex-smoker and I'd have preferred the smell of tobacco smoke.

It was a small event (maybe 50 people) the lecturer being a science post-doc researcher and, with the lights on I felt it might be rude to her to get up and drag my chair elsewhere so I endured. Others were also affected as each time a cloud appeared you could see others turning round as the smell hit them.

I appreciate that tobacco smoke has serious health impacts whereas vaping does not - but that does not mean it is not imposing an unpleasant habit on others. Even when I smoked we (smokers) could manage to sit for an hour without a cigarette so why can't people who vape?

I was surprised that the organisers allowed it (the guy must have been able to go without a vape for an hour!).

Ian
kwackers

Re: Vaping - Horrible Smell

Post by kwackers »

As someone who has never smoked I have to say the smell of vaping is infinitely better than the smell of tobacco.

However, pretty much every place I go the 'No Smoking' signs also explicitly include "Vaping" too so I'm surprised it was allowed.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

kwackers wrote:As someone who has never smoked I have to say the smell of vaping is infinitely better than the smell of tobacco.

I can appreciate that and even before the bans I didn't inflict my smoke on others (at least I thought I didn't though of course I'm not an independent observer!).

kwackers wrote:....However, pretty much every place I go the 'No Smoking' signs also explicitly include "Vaping" too so I'm surprised it was allowed.

I was wondering about e-mailing the organising club, but the vaper was a club member and I was a guest (it was a "open lecture") so I felt it was nice of them to organise and allow me to attend (for only £2 donation - which is trivial given the lecturer came up from London) - so not really for me to be raising complaints.

Ian
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

Psamathe wrote:I can appreciate that and even before the bans I didn't inflict my smoke on others (at least I thought I didn't though of course I'm not an independent observer!).

In the days before it was banned in restaurants and pubs you could spot the none smokers by watching which way the smoke went, it always headed towards the nearest of them.. :lol:
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

^^^ Tell me about it. I've noticed that, when I'm sitting on the terrace of a café, the smokers always choose to sit upwind.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
robm99

Post by robm99 »

Not as bad as tobacco, but I still don't like the fruity smells walking through town.
I thought most places did not allow it inside.
I always try to avoid walking through a cloud that someone's blown out of their mouth.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Psamathe wrote:I went to a lecture last night and somebody two seats away was vaping and it was a revolting smell! I'd assumed it would have been banned in public places ....

It was not a strong smell but it was like "stale lavender" and quite horrible. Definitely the vaping as each time a "cloud" appeared, so did the smell which then slowly dissipated. I'm actually an ex-smoker and I'd have preferred the smell of tobacco smoke.

It was a small event (maybe 50 people) the lecturer being a science post-doc researcher and, with the lights on I felt it might be rude to her to get up and drag my chair elsewhere so I endured. Others were also affected as each time a cloud appeared you could see others turning round as the smell hit them.

I appreciate that tobacco smoke has serious health impacts whereas vaping does not - but that does not mean it is not imposing an unpleasant habit on others. Even when I smoked we (smokers) could manage to sit for an hour without a cigarette so why can't people who vape?

I was surprised that the organisers allowed it (the guy must have been able to go without a vape for an hour!).

Ian

The mythology that Vaping is “safe” is gradually being eroded

Most of the flavourings were passed as food colourings or flavours

There is little or no research about the health effects of breathing them in at the high level that is part of Vaping
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

My favourite response at a meeting

“Do you mind if I Vape”
Young lady looked him straight in the face and said “Only if you allow me to fart- I can assure you that you will find the smell of my bowels as offensive as I find your Vaping”
softlips

Post by softlips »

Cunobelin wrote:My favourite response at a meeting

“Do you mind if I Vape”
Young lady looked him straight in the face and said “Only if you allow me to fart- I can assure you that you will find the smell of my bowels as offensive as I find your Vaping”

My sister said that to an Anaesthatist in the ICU coffee room years ago.

People do think vaping is safe. It is hugely safer than smoking but only in the same way being run over by a car is safer than being run over by a train.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Cunobelin wrote:My favourite response at a meeting

“Do you mind if I Vape”

Farthing is natural and healthy, if one can not do it there might be a problem, smell disperses soon
I think vaping is unhealthy, this has maybe not been proved yet, might take a few decades like with tobacco :(
What was the lecture about if I may ask? I was at a lecture today about bakehouses on farms, historic architecture
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
pwa

Post by pwa »

I'd not be happy about someone vaping close to me. But on the whole I welcome the fact that a lot of people who used to smoke tobacco are now vaping instead. For the rest of us it causes less discomfort, none of that dry throat feel and lingering smell on the clothes. And so far the dangers to the users seem a lot less than with fags.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

fag smells not nice. cigars smell ok. These days the Vapers come in all sorts of smells often FRUITS that smell aaweful. I remember being near some one who vaped a blackcurrant odour one. was aweful. Fortunatley vaping is also illegal on trains (stations)
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

E-cigs appear to be an effective way to wean people off smoking. They should really not be made available to anyone except ex-smokers with nicotine cravings - but how to police that?

Anyway, my view is, restrictions on tobacco smoking should apply with equal force and measure to vaping. I remember getting somewhat annoyed on a train where a couple of passengers in the next seat bay were busy puffing away - it was only when I rounded on them in anger that I realised they were 'smoking' E-cigs. On that occasion the smoke smelt just like cigarette smoke. This was in the early days, and I didn't know what the rules on trains were, so I let them be - reluctantly.

More recently I've noticed, on walking past vapers, that many E-cigs smell more fruity - obviously less obnoxious to a non-smoker. Indeed if that were the only factor, I'd let that pass.

But is nuisance the only factor? Remember these are designed as nicotine delivery systems for people with nicotine addiction - nothing else. And nicotine is a deadly poison (think: 'neonicotoid' pesticides, which are of the same family of substances). I did some googling of lethal doses for human adults, of well-known alkaloids:
  • Nicotine: 30-60 mg.
  • Atropine (found in Deadly Nightshade, Jimson-weed, etc.): not stated, one source gives 50 mg.
  • Strychnine (favourite murder weapon of crime writers): 30-120 mg.
So you can see, Nicotine is right up there amongst the top poisons. :shock:

If the makers of these things can guarantee that as a passive smoker, I won't get a gratuitous dose of nicotine - OK. Otherwise...
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

I don’t urinate or expectorate in your pint, please don’t put unknown crap in my air.

They stink, they clearly aren’t ‘just water vapour’ however much you protest.
Even small doses of nicotine set off really nasty headaches in some people (myself included)
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

on a cold day though they are rather funny - puffing billies more than a fag would ever give?