Vaping - Horrible Smell

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
softlips

Re: Vaping - Horrible Smell

Post by softlips »

Psamathe wrote:
661-Pete wrote:.....
If the makers of these things can guarantee that as a passive smoker, I won't get a gratuitous dose of nicotine - OK. Otherwise...

I would assume that as safety/health concerns grow so they will do just the same as the cigarette manufacturers have been doing for many many years. And our profit/greed based system will allow them to do it.

Ian

In many instances it's the same parent company.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

KTHSullivan wrote:
I'm actually an ex-smoker and I'd have preferred the smell of tobacco smoke.

None as pure as the purified!

Urban legend was that most ex-smokers are "the worst" when it comes to not tolerating cigarette smoke - I actually enjoy it and am quite happy with people smoking. That said, I would not want to be passive smoking on a regular extended basis (so I have no arguments with the smoking ban). I'll happily tolerate cigarette smoke but can stand the vaping smell.

Ian
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Psamathe wrote:
KTHSullivan wrote:
I'm actually an ex-smoker and I'd have preferred the smell of tobacco smoke.

None as pure as the purified!

Urban legend was that most ex-smokers are "the worst" when it comes to not tolerating cigarette smoke - I actually enjoy it and am quite happy with people smoking. That said, I would not want to be passive smoking on a regular extended basis (so I have no arguments with the smoking ban). I'll happily tolerate cigarette smoke but can stand the vaping smell.

Ian

I knew a Landlord who never smoked in his entire life

After some twenty years in the trade ... along came the smoking ban, and he started to feel unwell so went to see his GP

The diagnosis was that he was actually suffering withdrawal symptoms...... even though he had never smoked, he received enough nicotine from the smoke he was inhaling at work that he needed to go through a "Smoke Stop" programme to give up

It may have been passive smoking, but he was effectively smoking

There are multiple toxicants in E-Cigarettes, many known as carcinogens or to affect the respiratory system..... I do not want to be breathing in your propylene glycol, glycerol, flavorings, and nicotine, acetone, formaldehyde, acetaldehyde, propanal, diacetin, and triacitine.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

One thing that certainly dismayed me - as others have mentioned. Yesterday we were walking around in Brighton and couldn't help noticing the number of E-cig shops which have sprung up in the city streets. All with their produce prominently and 'tastefully' on display in the shop windows.

And in our local town, we have just lost our one remaining fruit'n'veg street stall - a victim of 'falling demand' so it seems :cry: , along with the impending re-development of the town centre. And yet another stall, purveying an impressive array of coffin-nails (sorry: coffin-vaping-nails) is still plying its trade in the town centre.

What more inducement do the local kids need, to take up this nasty habit? Why can't vaping paraphernalia be kept under wraps in closed cupboards, as cigarettes on sale are now?

When I earlier on made as if to condone E-cig use under certain circumstances - I was thinking of those for whom all other efforts to kick the habit have failed. And no others.

I worked closely with a colleague for many years - a chap some years older than me - who was an inveterate chain-smoker. I suppose I was forced to inhale his emanations often enough - this was years before the workplace ban. Anyway, enduring remonstrations from me and others, as well as dire warnings from his GP and family members, he tried his hardest to give up - several times. Each effort failed miserably after a few weeks. A common story!

Eventually, while in his late 50s, he suffered a serious heart attack. Although he partly recovered, he did then give up for good - or so I believe. I suppose he was told that lighting up another fag would be tantamount to putting a loaded pistol to his head. After recuperating to some extent, he returned to work for a few weeks, but was still too unwell to carry out his job satisfactorily. So he was offered redundancy, and took early retirement.

As it turned out, this chap survived until he was 81 - I went to his funeral - so in his case the weed didn't bring about an early grave. But it certainly brought an abrupt end to his working career.

If he had switched to E-cigs (if they'd been around then), would he have avoided the early, life-changing, heart attack? Who can tell?
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

There's a vaping shop near me that advertises with canvas banners around the area. It actually annoys me. One windy night I did think of taking a knife to the cords holding the most prominent one but never did.

How can they advertise in a way death sticks can't? IMHO they should be treated as cigarettes until proven not to be. Indeed because you need a device to administer the hit I believe they should have been treated as a drug and subject to drug testing before being licensed for sale or prescription.

There was a guy in the northeast England who died with among the symptoms oils in the lungs. His widow was convinced it was vaping that killed him. The doctors were obviously too scared to commit to that diagnosis but they had no idea how else it could get there. This was in the early days of vaping hitting the mainstream.

In case you're under any doubt, I'm opposed to smoking and vaping anywhere where ppl not using it can come into contact with their pollutants. It's not in a small part down to vaping being part of the tobacco industry. Due to their history over tobacco risks I prefer to assume there's risk there until proven convincingly and independently that it's 100% safe. For me that will require the rigour of full, drug style trials.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Tangled Metal wrote:There's a vaping shop near me that advertises with canvas banners around the area. It actually annoys me. One windy night I did think of taking a knife to the cords holding the most prominent one but never did.

How can they advertise in a way death sticks can't? IMHO they should be treated as cigarettes until proven not to be. Indeed because you need a device to administer the hit I believe they should have been treated as a drug and subject to drug testing before being licensed for sale or prescription.

There was a guy in the northeast England who died with among the symptoms oils in the lungs. His widow was convinced it was vaping that killed him. The doctors were obviously too scared to commit to that diagnosis but they had no idea how else it could get there. This was in the early days of vaping hitting the mainstream.

In case you're under any doubt, I'm opposed to smoking and vaping anywhere where ppl not using it can come into contact with their pollutants. It's not in a small part down to vaping being part of the tobacco industry. Due to their history over tobacco risks I prefer to assume there's risk there until proven convincingly and independently that it's 100% safe. For me that will require the rigour of full, drug style trials.

That would take a few years too, probably it will turn out that vaping is harmful
It should be treated exactly the same way as smoking
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Tangled Metal wrote:.....Due to their history over tobacco risks I prefer to assume there's risk there until proven convincingly and independently that it's 100% safe. For me that will require the rigour of full, drug style trials.

I think that is the relevant thing - the past history of the tobacco industry. I'm sure there are many things some some consume that have not been properly tested e.g. many of the "food supplements" that are meant to keep people healthy - have they all been through rigorous testing?

But it's the involvement of the tobacco industry that raises significant concerns for me (apart from the horrible smell vapers seem happy to inflict on others).

Ian
Flinders

Post by Flinders »

I suspect the better-off just order their supplies online, hence fewer vaping shops in posher areas.
I think vaping is revolting and anti-social. If I eat chocolate, I don't force it down the throats of everyone else present. And quite apart from the health aspects of having to inhale other people's smoke, the smells, well, yuk. They make a place smell like you'd imagine a really cheap brothel would smell.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

I think maybe - as I've got older - I've just got a bit too easy-going. I had to endure a lot in my younger years - mostly at work, and I'm not talking only about the colleague I mentioned above. Another colleague, at a different workplace, my MD as it happens, was a 60-a-day man, and utterly obdurate about it. The worst times were business trips as a passenger in his car. If I made a move as if to wind down a window an inch or two, he'd round on me and glower. "Why are you doing that, this car's got airconditioning?" So he'd insist I close the window again, and flip the A/C up a notch - in recycling mode. Yuck!

After that, some of the odours I get from e-cigs seem positively refreshing. Yes I know they may be doing me just as much harm...
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Cunobelin wrote:There are multiple toxicants in E-Cigarettes, many known as carcinogens or to affect the respiratory system..... I do not want to be breathing in your propylene glycol, glycerol, flavorings, and nicotine, acetone, formaldehyde, acetaldehyde, propanal, diacetin, and triacitine.

Not what you'd call a health substitute mix of chemicals is it? :? :shock:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Flinders wrote:......... They make a place smell like you'd imagine a really cheap brothel would smell.

I've never been in a really cheap brothel,anyone know what they smell like.... .....come on own up :)
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden