Homelesness - How much worse does it have to get?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
reohn2

Homelesness - How much worse does it have to get?

Post by reohn2 »

Last edited by Graham on 20 Feb 2018, 1:18pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Title
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
[XAP]Bob

Re: How much worse does it have to get?

Post by [XAP]Bob »

If only there were some people with second houses they didn’t need most nights...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

I read some where that worse happened in Paris I think 17 homeless died on the streets this winter
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

[XAP]Bob wrote:If only there were some people with second houses they didn’t need most nights...

Or people with empty caravans .. or .. empty motorhomes parked on their drives ..... and on and on ...... :(
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

Plenty worse! We live in a selfish world where everyone is encouraged to look after number one. Until we have a society where we lookout for every one's well being then nothing will change. Just my opinion, hope I'm wrong :(
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Certainly not confined to London. When I go into Brighton, I usually take the train nowadays rather than cycle or drive - which means walking down Queens Road from the station. Plenty of rough sleepers there, and plenty of niches available for them to huddle into (the unholy practice of planting 'spikes' in the pavement to drive off rough-sleepers, doesn't seem to have caught on in Brighton. This is not Windsor!).

I think Brighton is more 'favoured' because of the perception that being on the coast it doesn't get such severe frosts. However, I can testify that when there's a strong gale blowing, it can get pretty unpleasant outdoors.

I don't know if there have been any deaths reported in Brighton recently, but it can only be a matter of time.

As to remedies - I know not. Many people, I reckon, would be chary of putting up such individuals in their spare bedrooms...
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
iandriver

Post by iandriver »

Always worth a read or offer some support. http://england.shelter.org.uk/
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

landsurfer wrote:
[XAP]Bob wrote:If only there were some people with second houses they didn’t need most nights...

Or people with empty caravans .. or .. empty motorhomes parked on their drives ..... and on and on ...... :(

Or people who don't even live in the country,allowed to own whole apartment blocks leaving them empty until property prices go up enough for them rake in the profit :twisted: .
Homelessness has increased four fold since 2010(a coincidence?),but after all these people are only scroungers so it doesn't matter does it? :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
A while back I started a thread about possible housing solutions for such as the homeless and people who were struggling to find affordable homes.
It was met with derision by some :?
Last edited by reohn2 on 15 Feb 2018, 5:17pm, edited 1 time in total.
W H Auden
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

reohn2 wrote:
landsurfer wrote:

Or people who don't even live in the country,allowed to own whole apartment blocks leaving them empty until property prices go up enough for them rake in the profit :twisted: .
Homelessness has increased four fold since 2010(a coincidence?),but after all these people are only scroungers so it doesn't matter does it? :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
A while back I started a thread about possible housing solutions for such as the homeless and people who were struggling to find homes.
It was met with derision by some :?

well the next labour govt should repeal the right to buy council homes and abolish the subsidy ad/or allow local govt to keep ALL the money from such sales; furthermore enshrine in law the right to have a home so councils have to use the powers they already have to use vacant properties?
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

mercalia wrote:[
well the next labour govt should repeal the right to buy council homes and abolish the subsidy ad/or allow local govt to keep ALL the money from such sales; furthermore enshrine in law the right to have a home so councils have to use the powers they already have to use vacant properties?

It would be a step forward along with stopping private landlords charging exorbitant rents for hovels.
But what the country needs most is affordable housing for single people and couples,which would free up two and three bedroom houses for families with children.
We have promises from successive governments for the above but so far little real action on the matter,and I can't let it pass that we have Thatcher to blaim for allowing social housing to be sold off for a song only for the private owners to make a fortune on them later.Buying votes is a phrase that springs to mind.
W H Auden
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

francovendee wrote:Plenty worse! We live in a selfish world where everyone is encouraged to look after number one. Until we have a society where we lookout for every one's well being then nothing will change. Just my opinion, hope I'm wrong :(

+1 to that.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

I heard an interview with Dave, a homeless man, who was puzzled as to why the other people who had died in the near vicinity over the past few weeks and months hadn't had their deaths similarly reported.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Bonefishblues wrote:I heard an interview with Dave, a homeless man, who was puzzled as to why the other people who had died in the near vicinity over the past few weeks and months hadn't had their deaths similarly reported.

Good question!
Many,many years ago as teenager I met a Sikh who schooled me in the waysof selective media.
A very nice and intelligent chap.
We had a long chat about many things,I learned a lot that day....
Funny thing is I'm just listening to Sandy Denny singing Who knows where the time goes:- https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=n2xODjbfYw8
W H Auden
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

We're still in Thatcher's Britain - what did we expect?
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

JohnW wrote:We're still in Thatcher's Britain - what did we expect?

Yer not wrong there John.
The snag is though,with Thatcher you knew what you were dealing with,this bunch are as predictable as unpredictability,but for one sure thing.
The rich get richer at the expense of the poor,it as ever thus with the Tories.......
W H Auden