Heating Costs - linear or exponential?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
kwackers

Re: Heating Costs - linear or exponential?

Post by kwackers »

I've switched to a Honeywell controller system. Each room is now in its own zone.

I only warm up the rooms I need and they can all be different temperatures at different times.
The system knows what rate room temps climb so I tell it what temp I want at what time and then based on outside temp etc it decides on the time it should start warming up rooms.

I'm also experimenting with electric underfloor heating (running on 'low') to just take the chill off the floor, since ime floor temp makes all the difference to how cosy a room is.
This way when I fit solar/storage I can move some of the power to the heating without breaking the current system and if necessary I can switch between gas & electric on a whim.
So far I've only put underfloor in a single room to try it out but I think it's a winner. I can run the room temp a few degrees lower and the room itself feels cosier.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

I think I have that having 3 flats underneath me, must be why I get away with out turning the heater on
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

mercalia wrote:I think I have that having 3 flats underneath me, must be why I get away with out turning the heater on

There's a lot to be said for flats!
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

................. and living in a mid-terrace house.
Mick F. Cornwall
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

Mick F wrote:................. and living in a mid-terrace house.

But on the other hand there's a lot to be said for a yurt in a nice situation!!