Billy Graham in heaven?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.

Has Billy Graham gone to heaven?

Poll ended at 21 Mar 2018, 4:43pm

Yes, he is there now
No votes
He will be admitted when he arrives
No votes
Not yet, he has to be processed
No votes
He is waiting behind Bob Holman
No votes
He will spend time in purgaTory
No votes
No
29%
Don't know
10%
Don't care
33%
He will go to hell
19%
Who is Billy Graham?
10%

Total votes: 21

mercalia

Re: Billy Graham in heaven?

Post by mercalia »

reohn2 wrote:
horizon wrote:So my question still is why is it more difficult for a rich man? Some people believe that even for a rich man it's possible through God but I think that changes the quote.

I only ask this because of some feelings that emerge while cycling (to do with large cars) and the thought that an over-indulgence in cycling paraphernalia might indeed itself be contravening this Biblical precept.

The inference in the camel/needle analagy is that the baggage/load/weight needs to be stripped off the camel for it enter Jerusalem(the city of God therefore the Kingdom which is within).
There are no pockets in shrouds,but if Jesus is to be believed the Kingdom of God isn't just entered into after death,but is also attainable here on earth for them that seek it.
Jesus is implying that the burden of riches,personal wealth in the form of money,land,owning of people,etc,that is hung on a person makes it very hard for them to enter the Kingdom.

Jesus is said to have been a poor man who lived off handouts once he left his job as a carpenter and entered into his mission and realisation of his destiny.

probably like the many migrants who hang around Streatham high st. they seem to like Lidls alot. I wonder where they go at night.
Pastychomper

Post by Pastychomper »

pwa wrote:... to be rich a person must mean keeping more wealth to oneself than is necessary for wellbeing. And choosing to do so rather than sharing it with others in dire need. That seems to me to contravene the commandment to Love Thy Neighbour. If, by "neighbour", we mean the rest of humanity.

Agreed. That leads to a related quote, "The love of money is the route of all evil." (Strange how many people miss the first three words when they quote that.) Often when some apparently strange corporate decision hits the headlines, the phrase "follow the money" crops up, and when the money can be followed it tends to tell interesting stories.

I don't have much opinion either way about Billy Graham beyond my own slight bias against preaching for money, but he seems to have had a talent for acquiring money so I imagine things could be learned by following where he put it.
Everyone's ghast should get a good flabbering now and then.
--Ole Boot
pwa

Post by pwa »

Pastychomper wrote:
pwa wrote:... to be rich a person must mean keeping more wealth to oneself than is necessary for wellbeing. And choosing to do so rather than sharing it with others in dire need. That seems to me to contravene the commandment to Love Thy Neighbour. If, by "neighbour", we mean the rest of humanity.

Agreed. That leads to a related quote, "The love of money is the route of all evil." (Strange how many people miss the first three words when they quote that.) Often when some apparently strange corporate decision hits the headlines, the phrase "follow the money" crops up, and when the money can be followed it tends to tell interesting stories.

I don't have much opinion either way about Billy Graham beyond my own slight bias against preaching for money, but he seems to have had a talent for acquiring money so I imagine things could be learned by following where he put it.

People have been struggling with the question of how much wealth a person can have and still make spiritual progress for many centuries. Stories of the Buddha have him as a prince who renounced wealth and comfort and starved himself in an effort to get closer to enlightenment, but then decided that spiritual progress was easier if you looked after your basic needs. He found a middle road between extreme poverty and riches.

And some people were shocked when John Lennon's estate was valued at several hundred million pounds following his death. "Imagine no possessions...".
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Pastychomper wrote:

+1.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

pwa wrote:
Pastychomper wrote:

People have been struggling with the question of how much wealth a person can have and still make spiritual progress for many centuries. Stories of the Buddha have him as a prince who renounced wealth and comfort and starved himself in an effort to get closer to enlightenment, but then decided that spiritual progress was easier if you looked after your basic needs. He found a middle road between extreme poverty and riches.

And some people were shocked when John Lennon's estate was valued at several hundred million pounds following his death. "Imagine no possessions...".

I remember John Lennon but many younger fora members might no know who he was %)

I really do love signatures on these fora
Someones sig:
"It is a rich parent whose children run to her when her pockets are empty"
+0,99 €!
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies