Weather Forecast

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
irc

Re: Weather Forecast

Post by irc »

The snow forecast seemed accurate here just north of Glasgow. More than a foot of snow with deeper drifts. Local roads all snow covered. Buses still not running 4 days on. Cars needing dug out to get onto the road. Shelves empty of many things at local shops.

Neighbours all got stuck in today clearing snow and gritting. So cars usable again for the first time in 4 days. We are only 7 or 8 miles from the centre of Glasgow. There must be plenty higher and more remote places far worse off.

IMG_2238 (Medium).JPG
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

SPRING IS JUST AROUND THE CORNER. :roll:
Spring.jpg
You'll never know if you don't try it.
Flite

Post by Flite »

Well, it hasn't thawed here at all.
The 4foot drifts around the garden mean the rabbits can walk over the walls and fences. So today I have been hand digging a snow moat around the outside. While OH has been using the mini digger to clear a route to get the vehicles onto the public road. We can now exit the village to the east, but north, south and west still have massive drifts. Last time we had this much snow, they dug the road to the west out in April, and it was over 20ft deep....
It's funny snow this time isn't it? It digs out in big solid blocks. Forget snowmen, around here the trend is for building igloos!
Could solve the housing crisis for a while!
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

We've had a bit more snow overnight and woken up to unusually thick fog - can't see much beyond the houses across the street. Bearing in mind we are only a mile from J27 of the M62, that might cause trouble.
Flite

Post by Flite »

Starting to snow properly again now. Visibility poor.
The paths we dug yesterday are going to disappear :roll:
rjb

Post by rjb »

Thawing rapidly here in Somerset, Sun shining, 7°C, Water everywhere - flooding soon and still no milk available locally. :(
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

All gone.
Warm sunny Sunday afternoon now after heavy rain in the early morning.
8degC

I checked the BBC website and the Met Office this morning, plus Rain Today website. I could SEE that the rain was going to go and the sun was going to come out.
BBC was way out saying rain all day, and Met office was spot on.
This is the complete opposite to a few days ago.

I really do wish they'd get their acts together and sing off the same hymn sheet.

I wonder ..................... if we listen to the news and there's something of interest on it, and then you go to the news websites ......... nothing about it at all.
I wonder that the internet info updates are a poor relation to live radio. They don't connect up straight away, but lag some hours.
I therefore think that it takes some effort somewhere to get the websites correct as per up-to-date facts. Perhaps a staffing issue and without any joined-up thinking.
Mick F. Cornwall
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Local BBC (local southwest weather forecasters) and national met will be different as they are interpreted by different people too.
Your climate is in an area which will always be warmest, even walled gardens have a microclimate :)
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I suspect there's some sort of covert plan at the BBC to demoralise people who don't reply to their letters about TV licences :wink:

The BBC online weather forecasts for around here express the likelihood of rain in %ages. ie to some extent backing it both ways.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Funny that eh?
Strange that TVL people haven't contacted us for some weeks. Two letters, with neither of them being in the slightest threatening.

Maybe they're taking it out on us in other ways. :lol:
Mick F. Cornwall
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

On the matter of sensational weather forecasting, we've woken up to a couple of inches of snow and still snowing hard, with barely a mention of the possibility on yesterday evening's forecast.
=========================================================================
The BBC's local online weather forecast for hereabouts says

Light snow and breezy

A cloudy start with outbreaks of rain, sleet and snow. Becoming drier from the west through the morning with sunny spells and just the odd wintry shower expected by the afternoon.

It only started snowing here around 0600, and we've already had six inches. Although it's slackened off, it's still snowing.
CliveyT

Post by CliveyT »

thirdcrank wrote:
The BBC online weather forecasts for around here express the likelihood of rain in %ages. ie to some extent backing it both ways.

I've never understood exactly what they mean though. Does it mean it will rain for x% of the time, there is an x% chance of rain (even just one drop) over the time period covered, x% of the region will be rained on.

It looks much more scientific giving a number rather than a symbol, but I still don't know if I'll need a raincoat or not.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

CliveyT wrote:... I still don't know if I'll need a raincoat or not.

That sums it up much more concisely than I did further up waffling on about knowing to need how the weather will affect our plans: hanging out washing, having a barbecue etc.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

thirdcrank wrote:

That sums it up much more concisely than I did further up waffling on about knowing to need how the weather will affect our plans: hanging out washing, having a barbecue etc.

I think it's perfectly clear. :roll: I will need 79% of a raincoat at 5pm today.

Now where's me scissors?
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Bonefishblues wrote:
thirdcrank wrote:

I think it's perfectly clear. :roll: I will need 79% of a raincoat at 5pm today.

Now where's me scissors?

Don't do it buy a brollie :mrgreen:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden