Having a car license but no fixed abode

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
mercalia

Having a car license but no fixed abode

Post by mercalia »

Some thing I have wondered how do you legally have a driving licence/insurance but no fixed address? The address is on your driving licence and you commit an offence if it aint accurate?
pete75

Re: Having a car license but no fixed abode

Post by pete75 »

'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

wow so it is a messup. They dont happen to be the same people who do the TV license ?
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

We once thought of selling up and buying a narrowboat on British Waterways.
No fixed address, and at the time we were considering it ............ no Poll Tax as we would be of no fixed abode. Mind you, we couldn't have voted.

Never considered the DL issue before.

Also, when Daughter2 and her then boyfriend bought a narrowboat, they lived on it for some few years.
I must ask her what she did with her driving licence address, but I suspect she had it recorded as here at our place.
Mick F. Cornwall
pete75

Post by pete75 »

There are services like this http://www.boatmail.co.uk/ though not exactly low cost.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

This is more of an issue for people moving round in caravans, of course, because they use the roads where a driving licence is needed.

AFAIK, There's no requirement in the UK to have a settled address and, so long as you keep your nose clean, no requirement to tell anybody where you live if you have one. In a society based on a lot of communication and with an assumption that normal people do have a settled address it can be inconvenient not to have one. My younger son has had possibly a dozen different temporary addresses since he flew the nest, including two in Holland and one in Germany, all because he has moved around when he changed jobs. "Back at the ranch," until he bought his own place recently, everything came here. I doubt if many truly homeless people run a car. The problem for them is that the trouble can build up when they are unable to receive mail to deal with it.

I suspect, although I don't know for sure, that a lot of automatic driving enforcement eg speed cameras, is rendered less effective than it might be by no means of pinning down the vehicle to an individual. I don't know what the DVLA data base is like at present, but AFAIK, there's no check made on addresses given so if somebody gives a sort of poste restante address - ie somewhere where they can collect their post on an informal basis - nobody will know. Till somebody goes looking for them. Some time ago now but one of the last slapdash set of vehicle owner details I received from the DVLA gave the name "Rob Roy" and a dodgy address in Shipley.

I think it cuts both ways when people do get into bother. With summary offences - as with most driving offences - the person who's been living at the same address 50 years has nowhere to hide, while fly-by-nights can do just that. OTOH, with something more serious, having a settled address is much more likely to mean being released on bail at different stages of the proceedings, than is the case for somebody with a history of NFA.