the beast from the east is here

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
mercalia

Re: the beast from the east is here

Post by mercalia »

any idea how to release this bike? or is it a new form of theft protection?
Attachments
Capture.JPG
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

mercalia wrote:any idea how to release this bike?

Wait 'til spring?
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

reohn2 wrote:
mercalia wrote:any idea how to release this bike?

Wait 'til spring?

Back in '63, everything was frozen up until mid-March. My friends and I had a splendid time tobogganing over at the common...
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

mercalia wrote:any idea how to release this bike? or is it a new form of theft protection?

A couple of cauldrons of boiling water?

It would take awhile if you were doing it one kettle at a time. :wink:
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Vorpal wrote:
mercalia wrote:any idea how to release this bike? or is it a new form of theft protection?

Depends on the size of the kettle,though I believe cold water is better than hot for melting ice.
W H Auden
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

reohn2 wrote:
Vorpal wrote:

Depends on the size of the kettle,though I believe cold water is better than hot for melting ice.

That is true in some conditions. Above freezing, in relatively still water (bowl, swimming pool, etc.) cold water will melt ice faster than hot.

If it's below freezing, or the water is flowing / pouring and hot water is generally faster to melt things. Basically it's race between the ice melting and water cooling. Flowing water doesn't cool as much, so it will always be better than still, whether it is cold or hot (though if you want to attempt experiements with phase transitions from ice to steam, you need another solution :wink: )

If you can hook up a hose to run cold water over it, you're better off than pouring 50 kettles over it, one at a time.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

2 Feet here :D

FB_IMG_1519741510220.jpg

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

661-Pete wrote:Back in '63, everything was frozen up until mid-March. My friends and I had a splendid time tobogganing over at the common...
I remember the 62/63 winter very well indeed.
Deep snow drifts against the house and Dad had to dig us out of the back door, then dig the car out.
We still got to school and all the schools stayed open.
Snow came down soon after Christmas, snowed on and off through January and February and it was still there in early March.

Wrightington Fishponds froze over and someone drove a Mini on there.
http://www.wiganworld.co.uk/album/photo ... n&offset=0
A couple of miles from where we lived back then and I've WALKED under that bridge when the water was almost frozen solid.
Mick F. Cornwall
KTHSullivan

Post by KTHSullivan »

Well here we are again, “beast from the east” yet another incarnation and regurgitation of the Daily Mail/Sun/Express hyperbole. Slightest hint of heavy weather and the drivel starts. “Sex Change Vicar in Chainsaw Massacre Mercy Dash” was my particular favourite. :x
Just remember, when you’re over the hill, you begin to pick up speed. :lol:
ncutler

Post by ncutler »

Ah, but you have to realise that the red top papers hate this cold snap because it comes from Europe and we can't control it.
No pasaran
fausto copy

Post by fausto copy »

Oh Lord, I feel another Brrrrrrr-exit debate coming on. :?
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

fausto copy wrote:Oh Lord, I feel another Brrrrrrr-exit debate coming on. :?

Only if you insist :mrgreen:
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Vorpal wrote:
reohn2 wrote:
Vorpal wrote:A couple of cauldrons of boiling water?

That is true in some conditions. Above freezing, in relatively still water (bowl, swimming pool, etc.) cold water will melt ice faster than hot.

If it's below freezing, or the water is flowing / pouring and hot water is generally faster to melt things. Basically it's race between the ice melting and water cooling. Flowing water doesn't cool as much, so it will always be better than still, whether it is cold or hot (though if you want to attempt experiements with phase transitions from ice to steam, you need another solution :wink: )

If you can hook up a hose to run cold water over it, you're better off than pouring 50 kettles over it, one at a time.

I'll take your word for it :wink:
W H Auden
mjr

Post by mjr »

KTHSullivan wrote:Well here we are again, “beast from the east” yet another incarnation and regurgitation of the Daily Mail/Sun/Express hyperbole. Slightest hint of heavy weather and the drivel starts. “Sex Change Vicar in Chainsaw Massacre Mercy Dash” was my particular favourite. :x

I particularly liked BBC News yesterday saying that part of the problem was that there wasn't enough traffic to make the grit work... when they'd been passing on advice from all and sundry that people shouldn't travel unless absolutely necessary. We can't win and the news are making their own stories :roll:
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.