A winged wheel surprise!

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Si

A winged wheel surprise!

Post by Si »

How embarrassing.

Needed to find a bit of paperwork so going through all my old envelopes looking for it. Opened one envelope and found it contained my ctc thingy of merit (yep they'll give them to anybugger these days). Its still in the envelope as ive nowhere to hang it. But i'd not noticed that there was a letter in with it before so i fished it out and lo and behold there is a nice metal winged wheel badge stuck to it! Been sat there all these years when i could have been wearing it with pride. D'oh.
fausto copy

Re: A winged wheel surprise!

Post by fausto copy »

23 years membership here and never had nowt but a reminder to pay each year.
What merits a merit these days?
fausto.
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

fausto copy wrote:What merits a merit these days?
Certificate of Merit awards are given to those who have spent years as local organisers, campaigners and so on, not just for being a member.

In 6 months time I will reach 50 years of membership. When I joined I think a silver gilt badge was awarded after 25 years, but by the time I got to that mark all awards had been discontinued. I believe they were reinstated just a few years ago, so to celebrate 50 years I think I can look forward to a certificate - or maybe not. I don't really mind either way.
fausto copy

Post by fausto copy »

Thanks for that update.
I seem to recall that ordinary members got some sort of recognition, but that the "CTC" changed the criteria a few times.

I hadn't realised your were so old; to have achieved such a lengthy membership you must have joined as a babe in arms in a Watsonian sidecar. :wink:
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

fausto copy wrote:to have achieved such a lengthy membership you must have joined as a babe in arms in a Watsonian sidecar.
One of my club mates, now mid 50s I think, was registered as a family member as soon as he was born! For me, I joined at the age of 16.
RickH

Post by RickH »

tatanab wrote:
fausto copy wrote:What merits a merit these days?
Certificate of Merit awards are given to those who have spent years as local organisers, campaigners and so on, not just for being a member.

In 6 months time I will reach 50 years of membership. When I joined I think a silver gilt badge was awarded after 25 years, but by the time I got to that mark all awards had been discontinued. I believe they were reinstated just a few years ago, so to celebrate 50 years I think I can look forward to a certificate - or maybe not. I don't really mind either way.

I got a certificate & a silver winged wheel badge last year when I reached my 25 years of membership. If it was discontinued it has been reinstated, I don't think it was specially for me.

CTC 25 year badge
CTC 25 year badge
DSC_0054_crop_158x157.JPG (28.21 KiB) Viewed 318 times
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.