Wild salmon

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Freddie

Wild salmon

Post by Freddie »

I love a piece of salmon, but most of the stuff available is farmed salmon. I have tried wild salmon and it is a much richer taste than the farmed stuff, it also seems to be less fatty, so doesn't favour being pan fried as farmed does.

Any wild salmon aficionados with hints regarding cooking and recipes? I'm thinking it is probably best poached in milk, but am open to ideas.
PH

Re: Wild salmon

Post by PH »

Salmon is a rare treat for me and I don't buy the farmed stuff. I don't like to complicate it, just simply roast it, brush with a neutral oil, a bit of seasoning and around 8 min on a centre shelf.
Served on a layer of plain couscous to absorb the juices and a bit of wilted spinach - lovely.
rualexander

Post by rualexander »

Poached in lightly salted water with a splash of vinegar, then served cold with a salad. Delicious.
ambodach

Post by ambodach »

Farmed salmon varies according to the farm and location. While I agree that some can tell the difference the vast majority of people could not tell the difference between wild or farmed if properly cooked. Personally I bake lightly in the oven or pan fry. The occasional salmon leaps into my freezer but whether wild or farmed I never ask.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

I used to have a friend ( now gone ) who worked for Youngs the fish people and often brought whole salmon home that had "fallen on the ground" and gave his cat a treat :lol:
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

I think our local Waitrose only has the farmed variety. They do have some labelled 'organic' though. We do have it now and again. Very good in a fish pie (same as shepherds pie but with fish instead of meat).
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
pete75

Post by pete75 »

It's ironic that most fresh Salmon on sale is farmed and most tinned Salmon is wild.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

661-Pete wrote:I think our local Waitrose only has the farmed variety. They do have some labelled 'organic' though. We do have it now and again. Very good in a fish pie (same as shepherds pie but with fish instead of meat).

Depends on the season I suspect - Alaskan wild fish are very good indeed. My wife doesn't like it though, it being a completely different product to farmed salmon.

The UK farmed salmon industry has major issues it needs to overcome, and is under significant pressure to do so. If one can afford it, organic is worth the premium IMHO.
softlips

Post by softlips »

pete75 wrote:It's ironic that most fresh Salmon on sale is farmed and most tinned Salmon is wild.

I’d never considered that.