R I P Sir Ken Dodd (90)

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Cyril Haearn

R I P Sir Ken Dodd (90)

Post by Cyril Haearn »

I never expected Sir Ken would go but the Guardian reports that he has passed away

He loved Wales of course and often went to Porthmadog
His dad made wings for Kens bike to try to make it fly
There was a lot of singing in the house back then
Ken got into performing when entertainers for the troops were being sought, he soon realised how awful war was

Now The Master has gone, who will make us laugh until we cry?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: R I P Sir Ken Dodd (90)

Post by Mick F »

I was almost in tears when I heard the news this morning. :cry:

He is irreplaceable.
Mick F. Cornwall
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

well he had a good innings. I didnt like his type of humour though. made me cringe, seemed very dated when current.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Did his humour evolve to suit the times? Silly question, of course course it changed and improved over decades

I think such crazy comedians have a function like my role model Till Eulenspiegel, they may say things that normal people would not quite dare to
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
pete75

Post by pete75 »

mercalia wrote:well he had a good innings. I didnt like his type of humour though. made me cringe, seemed very dated when current.

Yes - he was more irritating than funny.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Some years ago, one of my nephews worked at a printer's in Leeds and they had an order from Ken Dodd for publicity stuff. Firms employed their own drivers in those days and the chap in question was convinced he was being set up with a delivery to Ken Dodd, Knotty Ash. When he got there, the door was answered by a scruffily-dressed Ken Dodd who invited him in for a pot of tea and a bite to eat because he'd driven a long way from Leeds. Not somebody who'd lost touch with reality through stardom.

Liking or disliking entertainers is a personal thing, but you can't deny his popularity with a lot of people.
Last edited by Graham on 12 Mar 2018, 4:26pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: post merge amendments
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Ken Dodd's dad's dog's died.
Mick F. Cornwall
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

One hesitates to post on these threads now, but there's no doubt that he was a unique talent, loved by many.
reohn2

Goodbye Doddy

Post by reohn2 »

Died today aged 90,he'll be sadly missed:- http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-43367267
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Spinners

Re: Goodbye Doddy

Post by Spinners »

Very sad news. My earliest memories of TV feature Doddy and his "an audience with" ranks alongside the Billy Connolly one, I watch it whenever its shown on the box. I liked his songs too!
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)
Audax67

Re: Goodbye Doddy

Post by Audax67 »

A thoroughly decent man. I'm glad he lived so long - and that he married his partner before the end.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

A sad loss - almost the last of the old school of comics from the 1960s and earlier. No-one can match his unique brand of humour. And no-one can replace him. R.I.P.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Mistik-ka

Post by Mistik-ka »

Of the many things I owe to this forum, the introduction to Ken Dodd's performances rates very highly indeed. What a master entertainer he was!

"Rest In Peace"? I shouldn't think he'd like that at all. I imagine he would much prefer to rest in the sound of perpetual heavenly laughter. So in his honour, may I conclude: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: etc.
iandriver

Post by iandriver »

According to his BBC obituary (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-13360811)

"As a child he showed an early talent for clowning but without any thought of making it a career. However one prank went wrong when he tried riding his bike with his eyes closed and sustained injuries to his mouth that resulted in his distinctive toothy appearance."

Had to laugh, as I'm sure I did similar dopey things as a kid.
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....
geocycle

Post by geocycle »

"The man who invented cats' eyes got the idea when he saw the eyes of a cat in his headlights. If the cat had been going the other way, he would have invented the pencil sharpener." Ken Dodd RIP