May's ultimatum to Russia

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
thirdcrank

May's ultimatum to Russia

Post by thirdcrank »

In other news, the Prime Minister has given Russia till 2359 to explain the use of "military grade" nerve agent in Salisbury.

I saw an item on the news the other evening where it reported on public reaction in Russia to the nerve agent story when Bojo had had his say. One of the Russian tv programmes had shown the pics of Her Britannic Majesty's Principle Buffoon, sorry Secretary of State for Foreign Affairs, suspended from a wire waving a couple of Union Flags. The public view there of the principle target of the attack was that as a double agent he should expect whatever happened to him and if he preferred the danger of living in the UK to the safety of Russia, it showed how misguided he was.

Bojo.jpg
Bojo.jpg (10.03 KiB) Viewed 645 times

Has anybody any predictions about what sanctions, if any, the PM will impose?

Has anybody any predictions about whether the Russian President will be in the least bothered?
Spinners

Re: May's ultimatum to Russia

Post by Spinners »

Pull England out of the World Cup.

(Not because of the nerve agent incident, just because they're rubbish :) )
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Did she mean the year 2359 or 23:59 hours this evening? :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

thirdcrank wrote:In other news, the Prime Minister has given Russia till 2359 to explain the use of "military grade" nerve agent in Salisbury.

Is that the year they are expected to respond.
I don't think it is yet prooved that the Russian Goverment is involved. Perhaps we should wait.
NUKe

Post by KTHSullivan »

Hope the UK sanctions are not too draconian; otherwise bang goes my proposed Russian doll import business :wink:
Just remember, when you’re over the hill, you begin to pick up speed. :lol:
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

The Conservative party is in the pocket of foreign powers that represent a threat to the national security of Britain. It is a grotesquely under-reported national scandal, lost amid a hysterical Tory campaign to delegitimise the Labour party with false allegations of treason. If Labour had received £820,000 from Russian-linked oligarchs and companies in the past 20 months – and indeed £3m since 2010 – the media outrage would be deafening. But this is the Tory party, so there are no cries of treachery, of being in league with a hostile foreign power, of threatening the nation’s security.

It was 2014, and Lubov Chernukhin, the wife of Russia’s former deputy finance minister, paid the princely sum of £160,000 to play tennis with David Cameron and Boris Johnson. In total, since 2012 – when the Electoral Commission initially declared her an “impermissible donor”, before subsequently allowing her to donate – she has handed the Tories £514,000.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/mar/12/tory-links-russia-saudi-links-corbyn-spy-extremism
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Every cloud has a silvery lining, and from the POV of the spinners at No 10, a timely distraction from the Brexit fiasco and a chance to call for national unity and support for our strong and stable leader.

Whatever happened to summit meetings, when world leaders met for a chat?

I can imagine the Russian leader being late and one of his aides explaining "He's just remembered he forgot to turn off the gas before leaving. ....."
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

KTHSullivan wrote:Hope the UK sanctions are not too draconian; otherwise bang goes my proposed Russian doll import business :wink:

Don't like Russian dolls, they're too into themselves.

IGMC
(That came from someone else on another forum but i thought it a little Ken Doddian, which was appropriate since I read it on the day after his death was reported).
KTHSullivan

Post by KTHSullivan »

But they are multi-dimensional! RIP Steven Hawking. :(
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Not an expert on animal behaviour so wondering if this is the first time a clucking hen has threatened a bear.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

She's not a hen but a Maybot. Think of the most corny Godzilla stories. Russian bear the size of a tower block fighting a Maybot through the streets of London. Watching landmarks getting flattened in the titanic struggle.

They should make a movie about it. :wink:
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Tangled Metal wrote:Don't like Russian dolls, they're too into themselves.
Remember the Russian dolls (strictly speaking, 'Matryoshka Dolls') depicted in the opening credits of Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy (the TV series with Alec Guinness, I mean, not the movie)? The last one had no face. Very apposite...
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

661-Pete wrote:
Tangled Metal wrote:Don't like Russian dolls, they're too into themselves.
Remember the Russian dolls (strictly speaking, 'Matryoshka Dolls') depicted in the opening credits of Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy (the TV series with Alec Guinness, I mean, not the movie)? The last one had no face. Very apposite...

Are you suggesting that May is the smallest level of Russian?
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
KTHSullivan

Post by KTHSullivan »

We could of course say nothing and glibly accept that a foreign power can run amuck at will in the UK. Or we could complain. Do we now consider that the murder of whistle blowers and or dissidents to be de rigour? The UK is a democracy, its not perfect by any means but we do have certain rights set in law. Whereas Russia unfortunately is run by an "elected government" that has effectively no opposition, where the opinion of the state is reinforced by thugs and now apparently murderers. We may well be "clucking" when compared to the might of the Russian state, but to do or say nothing would however be somewhat abhorrent.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Where's the origin of our present impotence? After all, we defeated communism some time ago. As others have implied, perhaps we - and our politicians - were a little quick to embrace the uncontrolled version of capitalism which has filled the resulting vacuum.