Eleven Pubs

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: Eleven Pubs

Post by Mick F »

Mrs Mick F was a schoolgirl once! :D

Back to the pubs ....................
There was a twelfth pub. The Cross House Inn - now very recently closed.
https://www.facebook.com/theCrossHouseInn
It's being sold, but not as a pub. The chap that's buying it, is going to open a motorbike museum there.

Actually, there was a thirteenth pub once. The Hingston House. It started off as a school, then a doctor's surgery, then just a house, and eventually opened up as a pub in the early 90s. I think it remained open for half a dozen years before reverting to a house again. Later, they built some houses on the land.

The Hingston as a pub, had a large cellar with solid stone walls. Some time before the pub finished, it became a rubber and bondage venue and they used the cellar as a dungeon.

Such fun! :lol:
Mick F. Cornwall
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Mick F wrote:Mrs Mick F was a schoolgirl once! :D

The Hingston as a pub, had a large cellar with solid stone walls. Some time before the pub finished, it became a rubber and bondage venue and they used the cellar as a dungeon.

Such fun! :lol:

Yes, I see… ! :lol:

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

The pub entrance was here.
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.51569 ... 312!8i6656

This is the building.
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.51588 ... 312!8i6656

Dunno if the cellar still exists.
Mick F. Cornwall
pete75

Post by pete75 »

sjs wrote:
pete75 wrote:
sjs wrote:
I'm originally from Ilkeston, in Derbyshire, which, for its size, had a lot of pubs, many of them very rough, in line with most of the rest of the town.

Best sort - proper drinking men's pubs. Not many around like that now.

Well yes, up to a point. There are still quite a lot like that in Ilkeston, as far as I can tell from infrequent visits nowadays. None of the Nottingham beers that dominated the area in the 70's still exist, though a couple of the brewery names persist, selling rather different beers.

What makes thosepubs good is they're not frequented by the sort of people who think bath is spelt barth and grass grarss.

Home Ales, Shipstones and Kimberley - all good beers. Shipstones has started up again with a direct line to the original, the young brewer trained under an ex Shipstones brewer at Belvoir brewery. The ex Shippo's chap also helped with teh set up and getting the beer right. It's very like the original by all accounts - tastes ok to me but so long since I had the old Shippo's can't really compare. http://www.shipstones.com/about-2/
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Several pubs in our village have turned into poncy restaurants, one run by Wozza. Fortunately about 3 miles away we have this gem… https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowUserR ... gland.html

Not owned by a brewery but by the same family 100 years. Here you can discuss pigs, cars, osses and painting in front of a roaring fire. No meals but great baguettes, crisps and pork scratchings. Proper traditional 'open to the skies' gents facilities, nice garden a favourite of local CTC. Great local beers straight from the barrel with no fizz. Completely unmodernised.
Read the reviews…

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
sjs

Post by sjs »

pete75 wrote:Home Ales, Shipstones and Kimberley - all good beers. Shipstones has started up again with a direct line to the original, the young brewer trained under an ex Shipstones brewer at Belvoir brewery. The ex Shippo's chap also helped with teh set up and getting the beer right. It's very like the original by all accounts - tastes ok to me but so long since I had the old Shippo's can't really compare. http://www.shipstones.com/about-2/

Yes, good beers indeed. The old Shipstones a bit of an acquired taste, but nice when you'd got the hang of it. I tried the new version maybe three years ago and liked it, but just felt that because it was good from the first taste it couldn't be much like the old one! You can sometimes get something called Kimberley round here in the Hitchin area, where many if not most people fall into the trap of barth and grarss, but I don't know whether there's a direct line back to its ancestor.
sjs

Post by sjs »

al_yrpal wrote:Several pubs in our village have turned into poncy restaurants, one run by Wozza. Fortunately about 3 miles away we have this gem… https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowUserR ... gland.html

Not owned by a brewery but by the same family 100 years. Here you can discuss pigs, cars, osses and painting in front of a roaring fire. No meals but great baguettes, crisps and pork scratchings. Proper traditional 'open to the skies' gents facilities, nice garden a favourite of local CTC. Great local beers straight from the barrel with no fizz. Completely unmodernised.
Read the reviews…

Al

In the same vein, and not too far away, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Bell_Inn,_Aldworth, highly recommended if you're ever on that part of the Ridgeway.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

SJS, I love the Bell at Aldworth especially after peddling up Streatly Hill! The Four Corners is another CTC favourite.

Al
pete75

Post by pete75 »

sjs wrote:
pete75 wrote:Home Ales, Shipstones and Kimberley - all good beers. Shipstones has started up again with a direct line to the original, the young brewer trained under an ex Shipstones brewer at Belvoir brewery. The ex Shippo's chap also helped with teh set up and getting the beer right. It's very like the original by all accounts - tastes ok to me but so long since I had the old Shippo's can't really compare. http://www.shipstones.com/about-2/

Yes, good beers indeed. The old Shipstones a bit of an acquired taste, but nice when you'd got the hang of it. I tried the new version maybe three years ago and liked it, but just felt that because it was good from the first taste it couldn't be much like the old one! You can sometimes get something called Kimberley round here in the Hitchin area, where many if not most people fall into the trap of barth and grarss, but I don't know whether there's a direct line back to its ancestor.

Hitchen isn't in the Home counties - very pretentious part of Uk.

Greene King bought Kimberley and I think they use the name for one of their brews. Must admit I liked Shipstones bitter from the first pint.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

pete75 wrote:What makes thosepubs good is they're not frequented by the sort of people who think bath is spelt barth and grass grarss.

Don't know anyone who tries to add an extra R into such words - but they do have a long a sound.
Isn't English fantastic and varied...

Interestingly MicroBob uses short and long a's interchangeably in such words - it's really quite interesting that both are equally acceptable in his head, and he is happy with using both in the same breath.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

[XAP]Bob wrote:Don't know anyone who tries to add an extra R into such words - but they do have a long a sound.
Isn't English fantastic and varied...
Glarsgow isn't the name of the place. It's Glasgow.

As fr as I'm concerned, Bath is Bath. The people from there use a long A, but the folk that pronounce Glasgow as Glarsgow, also pronounce Bath as Barth ........... and grass as grarss etc etc etc.
Mick F. Cornwall
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Glasgae :)
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

But can you count a social club as a pub Mick F?
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Paulatic wrote:Glasgae :)

Glasgae is miles better than where? Cannae remember, please help!
I thought pubs were declining and dying out but there seems to be a lot of enthusiasm here
I gave up drinking in 1990 but find pub names interesting
Hark to Bounty in Slaidburn
Aleppo Merchant in Carno
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
Paulatic wrote:Glasgae :)

Glasgae is miles better than where? Cannae remember, please help!
I thought pubs were declining and dying out but there seems to be a lot of enthusiasm here
I gave up drinking in 1990 but find pub names interesting
Hark to Bounty in Slaidburn
Aleppo Merchant in Carno

Or was it Glasgow Smiles Better?
Pubs have definitely declined in my area, it’s virtually impossible to find a country one. My local is a Lorry Park.
Mick F is fortunate in his area and it tells you where the money is :? Or possibly a lot of tourists/visitors to the area. We were down that way to visit the Eden Project and had the caravan in Oakhampton. Had a wee drive out for a meal one night and found a lovely looking roadside pub. One local inside, an interesting chap, and we chatted to him till our food arrived. Couldn’t fault the meal an excellent steak BUT by the time we finished eating you’d have thought we were in London. Surrounded by loud opinionated Yaaahs we didn’t stay for another drink!
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info