Are you sure you are alive?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
mercalia

Are you sure you are alive?

Post by mercalia »

a very strange story from Romania where it seems a court told a man he is dead.
what would you do in the situaton to make the best of it? rob a bank - dead men cant do things like that?

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/mar/16/romanian-court-tells-man-he-is-not-alive?utm_source=esp&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=GU+Today+main+NEW+H+categories&utm_term=267805&subid=7646217&CMP=EMCNEWEML6619I2
Cunobelin

Re: Are you sure you are alive?

Post by Cunobelin »

The US is worse.

There is a problem with 1 in 200 death records being incorrect, some 14,000 people each year being declared dead when they are definitely alive

I loved the piece in the article:

What to do if you've been declared dead
To avoid the financial hardship or risk of identity theft as a result of being named to the Social Security's death list, the Identity Theft Resource Center recommends that you do the following:
First, find out who reported you as dead.
Then, get a copy of your death certificate from the county clerk's or recorder's office where the death was reported, and fill out a form to amend the certificate. The death certificate will include the name of whoever reported your death. This person is typically contacted to sign the amendment as well.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

well the romanian case was so strange as the guy was told it cant be undone :shock: the court decision is final
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Reminds me of this:
Joseph Heller (in Catch-22) wrote:[Doc Daneeka] rubbed the back of his arms rhythmically. "Just look how cold I am right now. You're sure you're not holding anything back?"
"You're dead, sir," one of his two enlisted men explained.
Doc Daneeka jerked his head up quickly with resentful distrust. "What's that?"
"You're dead, sir," repeated the other. "That's probably the reason you always feel so cold."
"That's right, sir. You've probably been dead all this time and we just didn't detect it."
"What the hell are you both talking about?" Doc Daneeka cried shrilly with a surging, petrifying sensation of some onrushing unavoidable disaster.
"It's true sir," said one of the enlisted men. "The records show that you went up in McWatt's plane to collect some flight time. You didn't come down in a parachute, so you must have been killed in the crash."
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

You'll never know if you don't try it.