Does anyone know? Query no.2

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
fausto copy

Does anyone know? Query no.2

Post by fausto copy »

I don't think this topic has ever been covered before, so let's see.

I've just bought a wonderful second-hand book online and although the text and photographs are superb, there's one thing bothering me.

It stinks :shock:

It's obviously been in the ownership of heavy smokers and each time I turn a page I get the awful pong of stale tobacco smoke.

Will continuous airing ever get rid of the smell or do I need to infuse it with something else?

Given that I cannot abide the pong from these artificial air-freshener plug-in things, I'm stumped.

Would dried herbs or something similar do the trick do you think?

Help please.

fausto. :(
fausto copy

Re: Does anyone know? Query no.2

Post by fausto copy »

Now, why did I think I was the only person this had happened to? :roll:

I'll just go and see if Mrs. Copy has any baking soda. :wink:
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Good luck!

Brings back memories of the time we bought our house - 36 years ago now. The previous owners had self-evidently been heavy smokers - although it was slowly dissipating, the smell still lingered throughout the house. I think it was not until we completely re-decorated and replaced all the carpets, that we finally got rid of the last traces.

Hopefully your book treatment will work quicker!
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
fausto copy

Post by fausto copy »

The same thing happened to our friends last year.
No matter how much they cleaned and decorated, the smell lingered until they had changed every single carpet.

Thankfully I've only got 300 pages to sort out.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Many smokers get out of their vehicles to enjoy a ciggie because they know a smelly vehicle is hard to sell, 'non-smoking vehicle' is a plus
Books are comprehensively described, condition, damage. Maybe the smell could be mentioned too
Many of my books smell good
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Perhaps that mega-purveyor of second-hand tomes, A****n, could have a quiet word dropped to them? OK, I know that these books mostly come from third-party vendors and are often sold for just 1p (the rest goes in p&p). Still, you are buying a book totally 'blind' and a bit of vetting would not go amiss!

Having said that, I have used this channel on numerous occasions and never had a problem - yet!
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Many smokers get out of their vehicles to enjoy a ciggie because they know a smelly vehicle is hard to sell, 'non-smoking vehicle' is a plus
...and this post reminds me of my old 60-a-day boss's car (late 1970s) in which, should I be obliged to ride with him as a passenger, he'd flatly refuse to let me wind down a window, instead insisting on turning up his A/C to max - in recycling mode. Yuerrrgggghhhh! I wonder what became of his prized wheels (Jag XJ6 iirc) in the end? Probably the scrapyard. :twisted: :D

But on the other hand, in my student days (early 1970s) and driving around an old banger, I distinctly recall picking up a couple of hitchhikers and they asked me politely if I'd mind them lighting up. I was surprised because in those days - although the dangers of smoking were already well-publicised - it was not yet deemed socially unacceptable to smoke in company without asking first. I let them - but kept the window open! When I stopped for petrol, they even offered to pay for it. Nice chaps!

I'd be very cautious about accepting hitchhikers nowadays - but if I did and one started smoking in my car - I think I'd explode! :roll:
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

I am surely not the only forum member who USED TO hitchhike a lot, +1

I have a book about Ceridwen of Wales
The author is German, he wanted to hitch from London to Scotland, waited for hours, the driver who picked him up was going to Cardigan, he described this incident as a defining moment, he realised that Wales is even better than Scotland
Cymru am byth!
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
martin biggs

Post by martin biggs »

I bought a lightly used 2nd hand bike a few years ago from a heavy smoker who kept his bikes in the house , and it wasn't till i went in the garage the following morning and there was a smell of cigarettes .

it took me a while to work out that it was coming from the bike a few wipes downs with some wet wipes soon cured the smell , the wet wipes were coming up almost brown after every wipe but the frame didn't look dirty at all .
fausto copy

Post by fausto copy »

I've aired the book with leaves (pages?) open for a few days while we were away and it's definitely not as strong.
Once we empty the recycling bin later today, I'm going to put it in with a bit of Bicarb of Soda (that was a tip from Mercalia's link, thanks) to hopefully remove the pong altogether.

And it wasn't a purchase via Am*z*n either!
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

martin biggs wrote:I bought a lightly used 2nd hand bike a few years ago from a heavy smoker who kept his bikes in the house , and it wasn't till i went in the garage the following morning and there was a smell of cigarettes .

it took me a while to work out that it was coming from the bike a few wipes downs with some wet wipes soon cured the smell , the wet wipes were coming up almost brown after every wipe but the frame didn't look dirty at all .
If you have any friends who are reluctant, or finding it hard, to kick the habit, it might be as well to keep those wet wipes to show to them... :twisted:
martin biggs

Post by martin biggs »

It would have been , but alas they went straight in the bin