Ant McPartlin arrested over drink-driving collision

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
pete75

Re: Ant McPartlin arrested over drink-driving collision

Post by pete75 »

reohn2 wrote:I've always thought that anyone doing good works for charity does it for the good of those they do it for,that's the nature of doing good.
Medals and awards,etc,and their ceremonies,especially kneeling before some jumped up self agrandised monarch to recieve an award make me squirm with embarrassment.
And the showbiz people holding up their awards for the camera outside the palace afterwards knocks me sick if I'm honest.
The Establishment is truly alive and well in the UK.

Spot on - and this shows the true value of the honours system.

'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
leftpoole

Post by leftpoole »

reohn2 wrote:
bigjim wrote:
Tangled Metal wrote:Charity as in time spent doing stuff for the charity was what I was talking about. It's the physical activity for charities that get recognised for honours among the prominent entertainment types.

What would a Celeb do that is any use to a charity? The only thing they are capable of doing is appearing at events to promote that charity. Some charities do pay them for that and if not they pick up the tab for expenses, which can be pretty high especially if they have an entourage. Plus the Celeb has the promotion of self, which is worth a lot.

I think that is the case in some(may be most?)cases,both celebs and ordinary folk(and TBF celebs are only ordinary folk with fame and fortune attached) that do charity work for the right reasons.But it's the famous that lifts a charity's profile and as a result brings in more money for it's cause.
The problem in modern day UK is almost anything can become a charity without giving the vast majority or even the simple majority of its income to the cause it claims to help,this forum is attached to to one such "charity".

Exactly!☹️[emoji605]

The gongs should be given to those who take something like year or more out [or a lifetime] to do something using their skills, IMO.

I've always thought that anyone doing good works for charity does it for the good of those they do it for,that's the nature of doing good.
Medals and awards,etc,and their ceremonies,especially kneeling before some jumped up self agrandised monarch to recieve an award make me squirm with embarrassment.
And the showbiz people holding up their awards for the camera outside the palace afterwards knocks me sick if I'm honest.
The Establishment is truly alive and well in the UK.

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my wobbly bog brush using hovercraft full of eels
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

It's reported that Andrew Flintoff MBE has successfully used his charity work as a reason to avoid disqualification for speeding.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cumbria-28972176

FWIW, when I was looking for that link, there were plenty of hits about various occasions when this role model has been prosecuted, not always leading to convictions, I hasten to add. But enough points to have him having to put up a case to keep his licence.

I can't imagine I'm the first to note it gives a new meaning to the expression "fast bowler." :roll:
pete75

Post by pete75 »

thirdcrank wrote:It's reported that Andrew Flintoff MBE has successfully used his charity work as a reason to avoid disqualification for speeding.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cumbria-28972176

FWIW, when I was looking for that link, there were plenty of hits about various occasions when this role model has been prosecuted, not always leading to convictions, I hasten to add. But enough points to have him having to put up a case to keep his licence.

I can't imagine I'm the first to note it gives a new meaning to the expression "fast bowler." :roll:

Apparently Fred Trueman was stopped for speeding on Woodhouse Lane in Leeds.
The officer said Mr. Trueman you're driving as fast as you bowl.
Fred - if I'd been going that fast you wouldn't have caught me.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

bigjim wrote:Giving to charity is a form of tax avoidance. I remember Osborne being shocked when he took office at the amount of tax avoidance amongst the rich and the use of donations to charity as part of that. I think he changed the rules shortly afterwards.

yes I cant remember the details now but there were so called charities that were that only in name and in fact benefited the donors as their sole purpose, there was a bbc radio programme one of those investigatory programmes.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Ant McPartlin fined £86,000 for drink driving

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-43786771
horizon

Post by horizon »

I would rather he kept the cash and got disqualified for a much longer time. Ten years would seem reasonable not for what he has done (though that was bad enough) but for what he might do. He isn't a fit person to drive a motor vehicle - why do they let him? This our chance to identify dangerous drivers - yet they slip through our fingers.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

How do you stop dangerous drivers from driving?
You can't stop uninsured drivers from driving, or untaxed cars from being driven, or vehicles without an MOT being driven.

Unless you have a police presence, you can enforce nothing.
Mick F. Cornwall
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

out of curiosity where can I buy shares in the body that gets the £86,000 and other simular fines :wink:
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Would 2/3rds of your Weekly income be a punishment.

I agree with Horizon ten years would send a message and a suspended jail term.

6.75 million annual income ........... :shock:

No wonder they behave like they do and must think themselves Gods.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
Would 2/3rds of your Weekly income be a punishment.

I agree with Horizon ten years would send a message and a suspended jail term.

6.75 million annual income ........... :shock:

No wonder they behave like they do and must think themselves Gods.

Who? Specifically Ant and Dec? If so, I understand that's far from accurate.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
They, I mean in general overpaid people.

Money makes you complacent, you move in circles with other equally overpaid, you then become like them.
It seems that many celebrities even those with Honours escape real punishment.
I wonder what would happen in the US, they seem very hard on this stuff?

It would be a different story if someone was hurt or worse.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Would 2/3rds of your Weekly income be a punishment.
Yes, most definitely.
It's a week down the pub!
Mick F. Cornwall
horizon

Post by horizon »

Mick F wrote:How do you stop dangerous drivers from driving?

By disqualification. How you enforce that is another matter.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

The question was, "How do you stop dangerous drivers from driving?".

You can ban them, take their licence away, fine them, confiscate their car .............. but you cannot stop them unless you lock them up.
Mick F. Cornwall