Ant McPartlin arrested over drink-driving collision

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
thirdcrank

Ant McPartlin arrested over drink-driving collision

Post by thirdcrank »

I see that this TV celebrity has been arrested after a breath test administerd after a three vehicle crash

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-43453525

A couple of things caught my eye:

The Metropolitan Police said officers were called to Lower Richmond Road in Mortlake at 15:59 GMT on Sunday.

The ambulance service and London Fire Brigade also attended and a number of people were treated for minor injuries.

Police said a 42-year-old man was arrested at the scene after failing a roadside breathalyser test.

He was taken to a south London police station for questioning before being released under investigation on Monday.
(My emphasis)

In layman's terms, somebody arrested after a breath test can generally be detained until their blood alcohol is below the legal limit.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1988/52/section/10

Even if it was 0001 this morning, that's eight hours, which is quite a time to blow negative.

As Saturday Night Takeaway is broadcast live, Mr McPartlin is scheduled to be back on air this Saturday. ITV are yet to comment on whether Sunday's events will affect the show.

Innocent till convicted, etc., but this may be something of a dilemma for ITV.
mercalia

Re: Ant McPartlin arrested over drink-driving collision

Post by mercalia »

I dont understand the attraction of ant and dec. He isnt a bbc thing are they?
Spinners

Post by Spinners »

I hope he gets himself sorted as he seems to be on the road to self-destruction.
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)
horizon

Post by horizon »

Without I hope hijacking the thread, we currently have three scenarios under discussion:

1. Driving while under the influence
2. Driving while tired (see thread)
3. Driving despite adverse conditions - snow and ice (see all news media)

To me, they all speak of motorists for whom there is no need to consider whether it is safe to drive at all - have keys, can get into car, will drive. Drink driving is no longer socially acceptable. It is illegal (but socially acceptable) to drive while unfit through tiredness. It is socially applauded, humorous (especially if on honeymoon) and rather impressive to drive in dangerously icy conditions.

Maybe the pedestrian and cyclist should be allowed a view on this.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
cyclemad

Post by cyclemad »

WHAT A BUFFOON !!

No excuse..
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Spinners wrote:I hope he gets himself sorted as he seems to be on the road to self-destruction.

I'd agree wholeheartedly, but but I woouldn't extend that to letting him destroy somebody else in the process. It's being bandied about that after his divorce, he's left with £30,000,000. Even if that's a gross exaggeration, he could afford a chauffeur or taxi fares. Or if he's important to ITV, they could provide some sort of minder.
pwa

Post by pwa »

The man is clearly struggling, but of course if guilty he must get a ban, and the shame that goes with it. I hope he finds a way through his problems though.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Apparently the show is suspended and he is back in Rehab
horizon

Post by horizon »

Who is he? :?
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

cyclemad wrote:WHAT A BUFFOON !!

No excuse..

Addiction does bad things to people, sadly.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

horizon wrote:Without I hope hijacking the thread, we currently have three scenarios under discussion:

1. Driving while under the influence
2. Driving while tired (see thread)
3. Driving despite adverse conditions - snow and ice (see all news media)

To me, they all speak of motorists for whom there is no need to consider whether it is safe to drive at all - have keys, can get into car, will drive. Drink driving is no longer socially acceptable. It is illegal (but socially acceptable) to drive while unfit through tiredness. It is socially applauded, humorous (especially if on honeymoon) and rather impressive to drive in dangerously icy conditions.

Maybe the pedestrian and cyclist should be allowed a view on this.

As for point 3 what the authorities and media here call adverse conditions in this country are not regarded as such elsewhere in Europe. If the same warning were issued and followed there, large areas of a lot of countries would just shut down for 3 months in the winter. They also manage to keep public transport running so people have an alternative to driving. A big difference of course is that people there fit winter tyres and carry snow chains. In some countries both are compulsory. Chamonix gendarme asks to see your snow chains in January and you haven't got any - on the spot fine.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

cyclemad wrote:WHAT A BUFFOON !!

No excuse..

He's ill,it's an addiction.
He shouldn't drive,but if in his deluded and drink adled mind he thought he was capable then the result is what we see before us.It's not bufoonery it's a disease.
Last edited by reohn2 on 19 Mar 2018, 7:09pm, edited 1 time in total.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

mercalia wrote:I dont understand the attraction of ant and dec. He isnt a bbc thing are they?

They don't do a thing for me either,but that has nothing to do with anything,including a belief in a flat earth!
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Spinners wrote:I hope he gets himself sorted as he seems to be on the road to self-destruction.

I don't know much about him or his private life other than he's divorcing his wife of 12 years,but I agree with you.
W H Auden
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
thirdcrank wrote:

I'd agree wholeheartedly, but but I woouldn't extend that to letting him destroy somebody else in the process. It's being bandied about that after his divorce, he's left with £30,000,000. Even if that's a gross exaggeration, he could afford a chauffeur or taxi fares. Or if he's important to ITV, they could provide some sort of minder.

NO...that's just damm sensible.................I would sack him and make sure an alcoholic out of control never drives again.

I see the pressures of broken marriage and high stress high profile job acting a fool will be his mitigating in keeping his high profile, and pay band.

Sorry, I have no sympathy with people with money to fix and plenty of mates too, coming from wrong side of the town, large abusive family, council estate, cane wielding SGT Major father..............you were simply too scared to go wrong.

Next he will be on a team building confidence boosting extreme survival Island Luv hotel :mrgreen:
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.