Who's is This?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
mercalia

Re: Who's is This?

Postby mercalia » 2 Apr 2018, 2:19pm

bogmyrtle wrote:Whoever put the heading on the clip doesn't know the difference between silage and slurry.

pls explain the difference - what is the guy bathing in?

Mike Sales

Postby Mike Sales » 2 Apr 2018, 3:07pm

mercalia wrote:
bogmyrtle wrote:Whoever put the heading on the clip doesn't know the difference between silage and slurry.

Silage is grass stored in airless conditions, slurry (in this case) is the animal waste washed out of the farm yard.
The diver is in slurry, horrible.

pwa

Postby pwa » 2 Apr 2018, 3:08pm

mercalia wrote:

Slurry is muck / pee / water combined to less than pleasing effect and is supposed to be collected, stored and ultimately spread on fields in a way that promotes soil fertility without the stuff washing off into streams.

Silage is grass that has been cut, baled and stored in a plastic wrapper which, as I understand it, causes it to pickle and be both nutritious and much liked by cattle overwintering indoors. Good silage doesn't smell bad.

mercalia

Postby mercalia » 2 Apr 2018, 4:38pm

by the way what is the guy doing snorkling in the slurry? getting rid of a blockage?

there used to be a programme on tv where people did disgusting things like eating live maggots. well they missed this one , especially put the "contestant" in the slurry in a bathing costume ( makes me grimace )

fausto copy

Postby fausto copy » 2 Apr 2018, 5:28pm

Slurry pits are extremely dangerous places and there have been quite a few deaths from people getting overcome by toxic fumes.
It would appear that the chap in the clip was looking to clear some sort of blockage (obviously the cattle hadn't had that problem :roll: ).
However, I thought that the tanks were sealed holding tanks and that the product was sucked/pumped out into the tractor trailers for onward disposal.
The fields at the bottom of the garden have just been covered as the farmer had been muck-spreading, which isn't too pongy.
When he just spray the liquid excreta though, that really honks.
All good organic practice though (assuming the cattle haven't been dosed with too many chemicals.

I'm still trying to get hold of some Lion poo that a local animal park says is good for spreading on the garden.
The domestic cats are supposed to then avoid the area.