Sheffield's trees

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
reohn2

Sheffield's trees

Post by reohn2 »

-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
JohnW

Re: Sheffield's trees

Post by JohnW »

I submit that It'd be a better world John, if 'Private Finance Initiatives' were chopped, and the nation's trees left to flourish and enhance our environment. Who know what's going on, but the term 'Private Finance..............' sickens me for the future.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

some thing similar on a much lowerscale happened in tooting bec common, there was a quite famous avenue of old trees , the coucil cut them down and decided to replace them with cheaper to maintain trees. Sheffields case is extraordinary at the scale and what surprises me is that 17,500 target that the company says if reduced would require a change of agreement and hint at compensation - are they selling the wood from the trees? other wise any sensible person would think less work for the same amount of money, lovely? seems like Sheffield have acted in a high handed way and should have consulted the people there?
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

We have issues with trees in Plymouth that have been removed to clear an area near Theatre Royal to make room for a statue. By all accounts, they'll be planting others to replace them.

I have a thing about trees:
If they are deliberately planted in towns, they should be maintained - pruned/pollarded/looked after ............. not let go to take over the place.
Have you been to Paris?
All along the Champs Elises (sp?) the almond trees are pollarded, pruned, cleaned, and are delight to see.

We all like trees, and there are precious little of them nationally ............... but most of them in towns and villages are left to over-grow, block up the drains and guttering with their leaves, and be a menace to sunshine and views.

Trees, I'm happy with. Luv 'em to bits. We need more of them .................... but in the right place and looked after properly too. If they over-grow, they become too big and have to be felled.
Mick F. Cornwall
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

mercalia wrote:some thing similar on a much lowerscale happened in tooting bec common, there was a quite famous avenue of old trees , the coucil cut them down and decided to replace them with cheaper to maintain trees. Sheffields case is extraordinary at the scale and what surprises me is that 17,500 target that the company says if reduced would require a change of agreement and hint at compensation - are they selling the wood from the trees? other wise any sensible person would think less work for the same amount of money, lovely? seems like Sheffield have acted in a high handed way and should have consulted the people there?

"Private Finance Initiative" - we need all the trees that we can get in this artificial and polluted world, but do we need "Private Finance Initiative"? I think that the way it works is that a public body. that thinks it needs something but doesn't want to raise the cash to pay for it, gets a "Private Finance Initiative" to pay for it initially, and then pays back with interest over X-number of years. Does anyone know how much interest per tree that's going to work out at

When you say : "..................what surprises me is that 17,500 target that the company says if reduced would require a change of agreement and hint at compensation.............." says is all for me - I have to say that I'm particularly surprised that it's Sheffield - South Yorkshire.

Do we think that Sheffield may have 'dropped one' here, and may be rueing the day..................?
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Soon after we bought our house in France 13 years ago, the chainsaw gang moved in along the main road that leads to our village - the D661 as it happens - the very road that I get my sobriquet here from. Down came many of the trees lining that highway. As anyone who has travelled in France will know, the country is celebrated for its rural roads lined with beautiful old trees - platanes (plane trees) mostly. But there has been widespread clearing in recent decades. Sad. Why the D661 was chosen for this savagery, I don't know - but there have been tales of too many French chauffards crashing into them, and turning themselves into ex-French chauffards.

As to avenues of trees in towns - yes they are often pollarded - and very brutally pollarded at that. OK it may help to control the fallen leaves and twigs problem, but it results in very ugly trees. Like these, for example. Talk about Day of the Triffids! I don't think I'd really love to live amongst those monstrosities. Fortunately our tiny village hasn't had the 'treatment'.

What's been going on in Sheffield - also sad. I first read about the situation some weeks ago. All I can say is - whether we like fallen leaves or not - we need trees. They are our 'lungs'.

I really don't know what the Council there has in mind.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
gnvqsos

Post by gnvqsos »

I will make a comment about Sheffield trees.We have loads here and the numbers being removed are in low numbers.Many protesters do not live near the trees being cut down nand none appear to consult "us locals" for our viewpoint.The broad consensus is that many trees need attention and a few removed due to instability.The polarisation which has ensued has hardened the attitude of the authorities who will make their point by cutting down even more trees,rendering the action of the green element counterproductive.This element seem to have plenty of free time tom waste on protests and have alienated people going about their business,slowing down cars and precipitating a waste of resources ie police time,enhanced petrol pollution,extra rubbish etc.I am fed up as there arev fewer logs to burn as the contractors are under strict orders to remove all offcuts which once were delivered to my door for a small fee.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

661-Pete wrote:Like these, for example.
Ugly in the winter I agree, but healthier, and when the leaves come, they'll be lovely.
Mick F. Cornwall
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Mick F wrote:
Ugly in the winter I agree, but healthier, and when the leaves come, they'll be lovely.

Not what I've seen. They have precious few leaves even in summer. I'll see if I can remember to take a photo myself, later this year.

There are, of course, right ways as well as wrong ways, to pollard a tree.

But of course the Sheffield controversy isn't about pollarding, it's about wholesale felling. :(
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

gnvqsos wrote:I will make a comment about Sheffield trees.We have loads here and the numbers being removed are in low numbers.Many protesters do not live near the trees being cut down nand none appear to consult "us locals" for our viewpoint.The broad consensus is that many trees need attention and a few removed due to instability.The polarisation which has ensued has hardened the attitude of the authorities who will make their point by cutting down even more trees,rendering the action of the green element counterproductive.This element seem to have plenty of free time tom waste on protests and have alienated people going about their business,slowing down cars and precipitating a waste of resources ie police time,enhanced petrol pollution,extra rubbish etc.I am fed up as there arev fewer logs to burn as the contractors are under strict orders to remove all offcuts which once were delivered to my door for a small fee.

Thanks for that I was hoping for a response from someone involved and who lives in the area where the entrees are being removed.
The only point you make that puzzles me is that you claim the protests will make the authorities cut down more trees as a result,I don't understand why that is,as if the council would cut more tree down out of spite
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

661-Pete wrote:
Mick F wrote:

Not what I've seen. They have precious few leaves even in summer. I'll see if I can remember to take a photo myself, later this year.

There are, of course, right ways as well as wrong ways, to pollard a tree.

From what I've seen on the continent trees in public squares and other places are pollarded to increase shade cover in the hot summer months,after pollarding they do take a time to recover(a year?) but the effect is better shade.

But of course the Sheffield controversy isn't about pollarding, it's about wholesale felling. :(

That seems to be the claims in the reported link and if true why?
I can understand nuisance trees being felled ie; if the roots are causing pavement and road heave,etc,but if they're blocking sunlight from houses in the streets where they stand then pollarding and reducing height would be better.It seems logical to treat each tree's effect on the immediate environment on an individual basis but from the report that doesn't seem be what's happening,that's why I welcome first hand knowledge of the problem.
W H Auden
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

This is my personal view - but it's not about trees or about road safety.

The way I (personally) look at it is this :

If you were a private business, and in a position to get involved in a "Private Finance Initiative" with a local public body, which is underfunded and understaffed, and if you could give them a schedule of all that you said needed doing (whether it needed doing or not), and if you were then legally assured of repayment with interest for years afterwards, and if it would make you, your directors and shareholders rich without having to do anything, for years and years after leaving the site (except count your money), would a few of God's given trees stand in your way - would beauty and pleasant environment for others stand in your way?

We're not all private businesses, or entrepreneurs, or businessmen - thank goodness. That which is perfectly legal isn't necessarily right, is it?
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

JohnW wrote: .......... That which is perfectly legal isn't necessarily right, is it?

No it isn't you're right,but there are those amongst us striving to to make so,I hope they can be stopped in their tracks.
W H Auden
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

reohn2 wrote:
JohnW wrote: .......... That which is perfectly legal isn't necessarily right, is it?

No it isn't you're right,but there are those amongst us striving to to make so,I hope they can be stopped in their tracks.

+1 to that John - absolutely - but how? I know the stock answers - including "vote 'em out", but with the gutter press in charge of public opinion, I ask again - how?
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Hold the front page!

Environment Secretary Michael Gove has accused Sheffield City Council of "environmental vandalism" and promised to do "anything required" to end its controversial tree-felling programme.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-so ... e-43492887

Just when you thought it couldn't get worse. :lol: