Sheffield's trees

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
reohn2

Re: Sheffield's trees

Post by reohn2 »

thirdcrank wrote:Hold the front page!

Environment Secretary Michael Gove has accused Sheffield City Council of "environmental vandalism" and promised to do "anything required" to end its controversial tree-felling programme.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-so ... e-43492887

Just when you thought it couldn't get worse. :lol:

A steadying influence on environmental issues......... ...........NOT! :?
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I was cycling past here this morning.
Old A30 between Launceston and Okehampton.
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.65677 ... 312!8i6656
These are fairly large beech trees, and even larger now as this Google view is a few years old. Today, there are only buds on the branches and they look quite odd being pollarded like that.

I think they are wonderful. They are obviously loved and cherished, and looked after. Beech trees can get to be massive vertically as well as horizontally, they would take over the whole grass verge and swamp the nearby houses ................... and then they would be cut down.

................ as for Mr Gove. I wouldn't trust him as far as I could throw him.
Mick F. Cornwall
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Mick F wrote: ... ................ as for Mr Gove. I wouldn't trust him as far as I could throw him.

They do say Bozzer the Buffoon takes a similar view, but is cautious about saying so out loud - or on facebook. :wink:
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

thirdcrank wrote:Hold the front page!

Environment Secretary Michael Gove has accused Sheffield City Council of "environmental vandalism" and promised to do "anything required" to end its controversial tree-felling programme.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-so ... e-43492887

Just when you thought it couldn't get worse. :lol:

since it is a labour council we can expect action :lol: :lol: :roll:

there are some really massive and I mean massive trees in London in a road in Stanmore, Canons Drive, where the houses are likewise massive ( I mean massive could house 30+ migrants in them ). They are truly a sight to behold and clearly loved by the rich people there. Next time I am up that way I will take some pictures as they are a wonder to behold.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

It's so easy to get hold of the wrong end of the stick. For a moment, I thought that was about houses full of rich people with 30 migrants up the trees outside.

The confusion about Gove -v- Labour Council is that AFAIK, Sheffield entered into an outsourced road maintenance contract and the company then decided that the most cost-effective (most profitable for them?) way of fulfilling their contractual obligations would be by removing the trees.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Mick F wrote:We have issues with trees in Plymouth that have been removed to clear an area near Theatre Royal to make room for a statue. By all accounts, they'll be planting others to replace them.

I have a thing about trees:
If they are deliberately planted in towns, they should be maintained - pruned/pollarded/looked after ............. not let go to take over the place.
Have you been to Paris?
All along the Champs Elises (sp?) the almond trees are pollarded, pruned, cleaned, and are delight to see.

We all like trees, and there are precious little of them nationally ............... but most of them in towns and villages are left to over-grow, block up the drains and guttering with their leaves, and be a menace to sunshine and views.

Trees, I'm happy with. Luv 'em to bits. We need more of them .................... but in the right place and looked after properly too. If they over-grow, they become too big and have to be felled.

Who will be commemorated by the statue?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

gnvqsos wrote:I will make a comment about Sheffield trees.We have loads here and the numbers being removed are in low numbers.Many protesters do not live near the trees being cut down nand none appear to consult "us locals" for our viewpoint.The broad consensus is that many trees need attention and a few removed due to instability.The polarisation which has ensued has hardened the attitude of the authorities who will make their point by cutting down even more trees,rendering the action of the green element counterproductive.This element seem to have plenty of free time tom waste on protests and have alienated people going about their business,slowing down cars
. .

Slowing down motors, I am all for that
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Guardian headline:
Woman with pink recorder arrested at tree protest

I have my antennae out looking for April-fool stories :wink:
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
Mick F wrote:We have issues with trees in Plymouth that have been removed to clear an area near Theatre Royal to make room for a statue. By all accounts, they'll be planting others to replace them.

If they are deliberately planted in towns, they should be maintained - pruned/pollarded/looked after ............. not let go to take over the place.
Have you been to Paris?
All along the Champs Elises (sp?) the almond trees are pollarded, pruned, cleaned, and are delight to see.

We all like trees, and there are precious little of them nationally ............... but most of them in towns and villages are left to over-grow, block up the drains and guttering with their leaves, and be a menace to sunshine and views.

Trees, I'm happy with. Luv 'em to bits. We need more of them .................... but in the right place and looked after properly too. If they over-grow, they become too big and have to be felled.

I read about the hoo-ha in the Western Morning News last week about the trees. First I'd heard about it.
A quick Google brings this up and for what it's worth, I think it's an awfully ugly monstrosity.
https://www.theatreroyal.com/news-and-b ... sculpture/
Mick F. Cornwall
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Saw a pic of a line of cops in hi-vis

Reminds me of the battle of Orgreave 1984
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

We have stretch of the A3 near Bramshott

There were a series of Canadian Maple trees along the road that were set up as a memorial by the Canadian Government to recognise the large presence in the area in WW1 and WW2 and in memory of all those who went on to lose their lives and are buried locally.

However despite being 6 feet back from the road, they were deemed a danger to motorists and cut down and replanted further back.

All that is left is a stump!

Which reads:

IN REMEMBRANCE

THIS PLAQUE IS MOUNTED ON THE BUTT OF A SYCAMORE WHICH
FORMED PART OF AN AVENUE OF TREES
ALONG THE A3, PLANTED TO COMMEMORATE CANADIAN
SERVICEMEN WHO WERE TRAINED LOCALLY AND DIED AT
BRAMSHOTT DURING THE FIRST AND SECOND WORLD WARS,
THE 418 MEN WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES IN THE FIRST WORLD WAR
ARE BURIED IN CHURCHYARDS AT BRAMSHOTT AND GRAYSHOTT,
THOSE WHO DIED IN THE SECOND WORLD WAR WERE LAID TO
REST AT BROOKWOOD MILITARY CEMETERY, SURREY.

THE ORIGINAL AVENUE WAS REMOVED AS IT WAS BECOMING A
DANGER TO THE TRAVELLING PUBLIC AND WAS REPLACED BY THE
DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTS HIGHWAYS AGENCY WITH AN
AVENUE OF MAPLES IMPORTED DIRECTLY FROM CANADA
AS A CONTINUED MEMORIAL TO THOSE WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES
IN DEFENCE OF FREEDOM

THE LAST OF THE CANADIAN MAPLES WERE PLANTED BY
THE RIGHT HONORABLE MR. ROYCE FRITH Q.C.
HIGH COMMISSIONER FOR CANADA
MR JOHN WATTS M.P.
MINISTER OF STATE FOR RAILWAYS AND ROADS
AND VISITING REPRESENTATIVES OF THE CANADIAN VETERANS
ASSOCIATION AND ROYAL BRITISH LEGION
ON "CANADA SUNDAY" 25TH JUNE 1995

Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Mick F wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:

Have you been to Paris?

I read about the hoo-ha in the Western Morning News last week about the trees. First I'd heard about it.
A quick Google brings this up and for what it's worth, I think it's an awfully ugly monstrosity.
https://www.theatreroyal.com/news-and-b ... sculpture/

Should have been a statue of Gus!

You have to listen to the comments

[youtube]CSx_CoTuFtw[/youtube]
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Good Gus! :lol:

Good old Judi too. She's a scream!
I last heard her on Radio Devon.
Mick F. Cornwall
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
gnvqsos wrote:I will make a comment about Sheffield trees.We have loads here and the numbers being removed are in low numbers. Many protesters do not live near the trees being cut down and none appear to consult "us locals" for our viewpoint. The broad consensus is that many trees need attention and a few removed due to instability. The polarisation which has ensued has hardened the attitude of the authorities who will make their point by cutting down even more trees,rendering the action of the green element counterproductive.This element seem to have plenty of free time to waste on protests and have alienated people going about their business, slowing down cars

Slowing down motors, I am all for that

Hey - steady on lad - you can be burned at the stake for heresy for saying things like that in current-day British society!
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

Mick F wrote:
661-Pete wrote:Like these, for example.
Ugly in the winter I agree, but healthier, and when the leaves come, they'll be lovely.

Absolutely right. My Mother in Law lives in Finchley London and has large Plane trees in the street. Due to economies they haven't been pollarded for years. The trees have become huge, overhanging front gardens. A road nearby had the tree gang in and because so much had to be cut off the trees look really awful. Yearly pollarding kept them small and very shapely in the summer.