Bottle deposits

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
mercalia

Bottle deposits

Post by mercalia »

what a stupid idea. In Lambeth we have got used to using recycle bins outisde our houses where we put plastic bottles/paper etc - easy way to recycle. Now I have to take back single bottles or fill my panniers with bottles to a shop maybe 2 miles away. Not sure I can be bothered :roll: talkk about turning the clock back :twisted:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-43563164
pwa

Re: Bottle deposits

Post by pwa »

It will need facilities in shopping streets or outside supermarkets. There isn't room in many shops.
AlaninWales

Post by AlaninWales »

You can't be bothered to take the empty bottle back to the shop you bought it from (or a nearer one which you'd be visiting anyway)?

Mixed recycling plastic, whilst a Good Thing in that it gives a chance for some recycling, has a low percentage success because of the contamination of the recyclable bottles by (at least) other non-recyclable plastics. This scheme eases and provides incentive for recycling that should achieve a higher rate of recycling and achieves this not by causing increased travel, but by encouraging the return of the bottles to where they were purchased (rather than as too many do, dumping them in the road).

Of course if you don't want the deposit back and don't care about increasing recycling rates, you are free to deposit them in the mixed plastics or indeed in 'non-recyclables' bag. I am sure there will be many others who also don't care and will continue to deposit them in hedgerows and verges :cry: .
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

mercalia wrote:what a stupid idea. In Lambeth we have got used to using recycle bins outisde our houses where we put plastic bottles/paper etc - easy way to recycle. Now I have to take back single bottles or fill my panniers with bottles to a shop maybe 2 miles away. Not sure I can be bothered :roll: talkk about turning the clock back :twisted:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-43563164

The almost continuous trail of plastic bottles along the sides of all our roads seems to show that the present arrangements are not working very well.
Many years ago I was dossing in Glencoe (in order to climb ice) and me and a pal gathered enough money for a pint each by walking a few miles and picking up glass bottles which carried a deposit.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
Tiberius

Post by Tiberius »

mercalia wrote: In Lambeth we have got used to using recycle bins outisde our houses where we put plastic bottles/paper etc - easy way to recycle

Yeah but....that's the whole point. YOU may well recycle responsibly, but plenty of people don't hence the need to incentivise people to recycle, by putting a returnable deposit on plastic bottles and cans.

Great idea and it can't come soon enough. Litter is a pet hate of mine and anything to minimise it gets my vote.

I remember the whole thing first time round. As kids we would scour the streets/bins etc for 'pop' bottles which we could take back to the local shop and get the deposit back.

Anyway, NO-ONE here will be throwing anything in the street if there is a refundable deposit on it....that's Yorkshire for you... :mrgreen:
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

pwa wrote:It will need facilities in shopping streets or outside supermarkets. There isn't room in many shops.

The shops find room to sell the bottles. In the days of glass deposit bottles they somehow managed. Though I do recall stories of scallies taking bottles from pub back yards to clain the deposits.
pwa

Post by pwa »

Mike Sales wrote:
pwa wrote:It will need facilities in shopping streets or outside supermarkets. There isn't room in many shops.

The shops find room to sell the bottles. In the days of glass deposit bottles they somehow managed. Though I do recall stories of scallies taking bottles from pub back yards to clain the deposits.

Next time you are in a local convenience store have a look around and see if there is room for the sort of receptacle needed. Bearing in mind the struggle many have to cover the Business Rates and their natural reluctance to reduce stock to make space. Some sort of communal receptacle / machine would make most sense.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Why have this fashion for drinks bottles anyway?
It is a fashion. We never had plastic drinks bottles before.
Mick F. Cornwall
pwa

Post by pwa »

Mick F wrote:Why have this fashion for drinks bottles anyway?

A return to glass, you think? We'll all be on Marathon Double Plus then!
rjb

Post by rjb »

pwa wrote:

A return to glass, you think? We'll all be on Marathon Double Plus then!

:( :( :( :( :(
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
mjr

Post by mjr »

pwa wrote:
Mike Sales wrote:The shops find room to sell the bottles. In the days of glass deposit bottles they somehow managed. Though I do recall stories of scallies taking bottles from pub back yards to clain the deposits.

Next time you are in a local convenience store have a look around and see if there is room for the sort of receptacle needed. Bearing in mind the struggle many have to cover the Business Rates and their natural reluctance to reduce stock to make space. Some sort of communal receptacle / machine would make most sense.

I'm sure someone will come up with a smaller bottle-crushing machine for convenience stores if the commercial incentives are right. I think some of our European neighbours already have photo-booth-size bottle-crushers for medium and large stores:
[youtube]RLKmr0uVhWo[/youtube]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLKmr0uVhWo

It's a fantastic idea, so long overdue! We should have had a deposit on plastic bottles as soon as they started to displace glass deposit bottles.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
pwa

Post by pwa »

mjr wrote:
pwa wrote:
Mike Sales wrote:The shops find room to sell the bottles. In the days of glass deposit bottles they somehow managed. Though I do recall stories of scallies taking bottles from pub back yards to clain the deposits.

I'm sure someone will come up with a smaller bottle-crushing machine for convenience stores if the commercial incentives are right. I think some of our European neighbours already have photo-booth-size bottle-crushers for medium and large stores:
[youtube]RLKmr0uVhWo[/youtube]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLKmr0uVhWo

It's a fantastic idea, so long overdue! We should have had a deposit on plastic bottles as soon as they started to displace glass deposit bottles.

Is that all that's proposed though? Recycling rather than re-use? As I understand it plastics can only be recycled a limited number of times.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

pwa wrote:Next time you are in a local convenience store have a look around and see if there is room for the sort of receptacle needed. Bearing in mind the struggle many have to cover the Business Rates and their natural reluctance to reduce stock to make space. Some sort of communal receptacle / machine would make most sense.

Whatever the size of the shop, somehow it is full of stock. Actually, it would be a poor shopkeeper who did not use all the space available to display the goods.
Shops sell the plastic to make money, and what happens to it afterwards is not their concern. They don't pay for disposal. I think that handling the returned empties is an essential part of the cycle, which should not stop the bottles being thrown into the hedgerow.
The waste will otherwise accumulate into a continuous roadside berm.
If the council actually cleaned the roads I would suggest that deposits would save money on the rates: but they don't.
Another example of externals.
mjr

Post by mjr »

pwa wrote:Is that all that's proposed though? Recycling rather than re-use? As I understand it plastics can only be recycled a limited number of times.

I'm pretty sure that understanding is incorrect, within certain limits such as low cross-contamination which should be helped with a better collection system than the council mixed-junk bins... and some of the no-longer-recyclable-to-food-use stuff can still be recycled to other uses like park benches or play equipment.

It'll probably always be better to fill your own many-many-many-reuses water bottle from a tap than buy bottled water, though, and I think drinks cans and glass bottles can be recycled indefinitely, although more expensively and the glass also needs to be type-sorted, so is better cut up by machine to save space, rather than smashed. Some plastic bottle collection machines can process glass and cans too... but why would they unless we put deposits on all such containers?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

I have some magic device in my house called "a tap" - seems to have plenty of water inside so I don't need to buy plastic bottles with my water.

Ian