Bottle deposits

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Debs

Re: Bottle deposits

Post by Debs »

If this all goes well, perhaps they'll do the same with dog food by putting an environmental levy on dog food, and after the dog has eaten it, and it's come out the other end of the dog, the dog owner can take it back to the shop and claim a deposit refund on the deposit :D
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Debs wrote:If this all goes well, perhaps they'll do the same with dog food by putting an environmental levy on dog food, and after the dog has eaten it, and it's come out the other end of the dog, the dog owner can take it back to the shop and claim a deposit refund on the deposit :D

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Said this before on a different thread some time back ..............

We I woz a kid, we had Dad, Mum, Sister and me. Four of us in a three bedroom house. Open fire in the living room, open fire in the dining room, and a small stove with back boiler in the kitchen.

Milk was delivered six mornings a week in bottles. Empties were left on the front step so the milkman could collect as he swapped them for full ones.

Out the back door, we had one metal bin. It was collected by the bin men once a week, emptied into their cart, and returned to us.
A household of four, three coal fires, and one single galvanised metal bin.

No recycling in those days.

What went into the bin?
Could a family survive with one metal bin and no recycling?
What would they do with all the plastic and wrappings and tins and bottles?
Mick F. Cornwall
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Mick F wrote:Said this before on a different thread some time back ..............

We I woz a kid, we had Dad, Mum, Sister and me. Four of us in a three bedroom house. Open fire in the living room, open fire in the dining room, and a small stove with back boiler in the kitchen.

Milk was delivered six mornings a week in bottles. Empties were left on the front step so the milkman could collect as he swapped them for full ones.

Out the back door, we had one metal bin. It was collected by the bin men once a week, emptied into their cart, and returned to us.
A household of four, three coal fires, and one single galvanised metal bin.

No recycling in those days.

What went into the bin?
Could a family survive with one metal bin and no recycling?
What would they do with all the plastic and wrappings and tins and bottles?

Like my Mam & Dad did,everything that could burn went on the fire,ashes went in the bin,the only thing recycled was old newspapers,they went to the chippy :wink:
Different times,different world.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Debs wrote:If this all goes well, perhaps they'll do the same with dog food by putting an environmental levy on dog food, and after the dog has eaten it, and it's come out the other end of the dog, the dog owner can take it back to the shop and claim a deposit refund on the deposit :D

Just need an App to record weights of input and output, account would be credited or debited accordingly
Years ago there was no need for Apps, human night soil was valuable, it was gathered and spread on the fields
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Yes, there's a canal here in the Tamar Valley called the Manure Canal.
Rubbish and detritus was brought up from Plymouth by barge and unloaded on the canal-side and taken by cart up the slopes of the valley for fertilising the fields. In turn, barges were loaded with granite from the local quarries and sent down to Plymouth.

Tamar Vally produced soft fruits and flowers and they were taken back down to the canal and sent by barge to Plymouth for onward transit to Covent Garden etc.

We often find bottles and broken crockery in the garden and up in the wood. Plymothian rubbish. :wink:
Mick F. Cornwall
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Mick F wrote:Yes, there's a canal here in the Tamar Valley called the Manure Canal.
Rubbish and detritus was brought up from Plymouth by barge and unloaded on the canal-side and taken by cart up the slopes of the valley for fertilising the fields. In turn, barges were loaded with granite from the local quarries and sent down to Plymouth.

Tamar Vally produced soft fruits and flowers and they were taken back down to the canal and sent by barge to Plymouth for onward transit to Covent Garden etc.

We often find bottles and broken crockery in the garden and up in the wood. Plymothian rubbish. :wink:

Same story on the L&L Liverpool's horse and human manure were taken out to Burscough etc and spread on to the fields,coal from the Wigan coal fields(biggest in the world for a long time)was taken back on the same barges,similarly fruit and veg from the rich Bursough fields.
W H Auden
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

reohn2 wrote:Same story on the L&L Liverpool's horse and human manure were taken out to Burscough etc and spread on to the fields,coal from the Wigan coal fields(biggest in the world for a long time)was taken back on the same barges,similarly fruit and veg from the rich Bursough fields.

I think most farms still make good use of animal waste.

Some cities in the US convert sewage into fertilizer. Some use the sewerage gas for power. A few do both. Not enough places do that sort of thing.

Honestly if we put the effort into it, we can reuse and recycle everything. Even dryer lint, hair, and sweepings form the floor can go into the compost. It's easier if you avoid plastic and don't have little bits of plastic to pick out of the sweepings before you do it.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Vorpal wrote:
reohn2 wrote:Same story on the L&L Liverpool's horse and human manure were taken out to Burscough etc and spread on to the fields,coal from the Wigan coal fields(biggest in the world for a long time)was taken back on the same barges,similarly fruit and veg from the rich Bursough fields.

Some cities in the US convert sewage into fertilizer. Some use the sewerage gas for power. A few do both. Not enough places do that sort of thing.

Honestly if we put the effort into it, we can reuse and recycle everything. Even dryer lint, hair, and sweepings form the floor can go into the compost. It's easier if you avoid plastic and don't have little bits of plastic to pick out of the sweepings before you do it.

My compost bin gets dog hair and the contents of my vacuum cleaner (I don't have carpets so no nylon bits). They seem to compost because never noticed and dog hairs when spreading the compost on the garden.

Ian
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Vorpal wrote:

I think the problem is that too much emphasis is placed on monetary profit to the exclusion of all else,and now we seem to be learning the true cost of that.
W H Auden
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

There is an interesting article in The Guardian on the German bottle recycling scheme.
It is said to have had an overwhelmingly positive effect on littering.

Only 1%-3% of non-reusable bottles are now not returned in Germany; recycling rates for cans are around 99%. This is in part due to an entire informal sub-economy that has grown around the recycling process.

In larger German cities, hundreds of Pfandsammler or “deposit collectors” – many of them pensioners or people in precarious living conditions – roam the streets with trolleys and hand torches, searching bins for plastic bottles they can take to the next supermarket. Some cities have mounted bins with special shelves to facilitate their search.

Another problem, in the view of environmental pressure groups, is that the Pfand system has not created much of an incentive for manufacturers to go green. Drinks producers, in fact, make a sizable profit from the 1-3% of unreturned non-recyclable bottles, for which retailers have charged their customers extra but never had to pay back a deposit.

“If Britain copies the German system, I expect it will prove a great success in the fight against littering,” says Benjamin Bongardt of Germany’s Nature and Biodiversity Conservation Union.

“But it will entrench a system that isn’t very environmentally friendly in the first place. A tax on drinks packaging would have proved a lot more effective.”

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/mar/30/has-germany-hit-the-jackpot-of-recycling-the-jurys-still-out
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Win-win for Gove then. Looking green while increasing the industry's profits. He must think he's had a rush of birthdays.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

In larger German cities, hundreds of Pfandsammler or “deposit collectors” – many of them pensioners or people in precarious living conditions – roam the streets with trolleys and hand torches, searching bins for plastic bottles they can take to the next supermarket. Some cities have mounted bins with special shelves to facilitate their search.

I visited New York New York (so good they named it twice) in 1986.
One thing I really noticed, was the down-and-outs with shopping trolleys picking up coke and beer cans off the streets. Some of them I saw, were piled high to overflowing. There were dozens of these men on the streets seemingly all over Manhattan. Didn't see any women, only men.

I heard that they took them somewhere and were paid for the collection. Maybe not money, but meals, board and lodging?
Mick F. Cornwall
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Could be a win:win for Esther McVey as well, by the sound of it.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

bottled water should have a very high environment tax placed in it, to put a stop to that product. Why oh Why dont people just buy one bottle of water, drink it then take it home an refill the bottle for next day? if any one wants BOUTIQUE WATER as thats all it is let them pay theu the nose for it :?