Lithium I-on vs Iron?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
NATURAL ANKLING

Lithium I-on vs Iron?

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
So are lithium Iron available yet and is the tech to new to be worth it.
TBO I had no idea there were two types.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Stevek76

Re: Lithium I-on vs Iron?

Post by Stevek76 »

Presumably you mean lithium iron phosphate?

It's technically just a subtype of lithium ion batteries of which there's a whole collection of lithium based cathode compositions.

Phone and laptop batteries which I'd guess would be considered the most common use cobalt in the cathode as it has the highest energy density but also comes with environmental concerns and can catch fire etc if not managed correctly.

Other cathode compositions like the iron one have lower energy density but are more stable and have other properties such as being able to output higher amounts of current. And yes lifepo4 batteries have been around a while I thought, power tools etc.
The contents of this post, unless otherwise stated, are opinions of the author and may actually be complete codswallop
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

I use a LiFePO4 battery pack to power my telescope/mount/computer/etc. when beyond the range of a mains extension lead.

Whilst I claim no expertise, I did consider Lithium Polymer (Li-Po) packs and my (maybe flawed) research resulted in going for the LiFePO4 as I understood:
1. LiFePO4 allows dramatically more charge/discharge cycles before losing performance/capacity
2. The discharge curve of the LiFePO4 is flatter meaning it holds voltage better for longer

For my astronomy use the bulk of the battery was less important (given I previously used a sealed lead acid battery!).

Ian
barrym

Post by barrym »

A bit on next generation batteries on Inside Science, R4 last night.

Standout piece was 23,000 cycles and a performance improvement NOT deterioration!
--
Cheers
Barry