are cats more stupid than dogs?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Cunobelin

Re: are cats more stupid than dogs?

Post by Cunobelin »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
Norman H wrote:Maybe a dog chased the cat up the pole.

Dogs are too stupid to climb poles and all cats are smart enough to know that.

You know how one perceives a dog running silently at an angle to intercept a cyclist?
Saw a cat doing that but it did not challenge me, maybe that was more stupid than a dog, or rather less stupid?

I think dogs are more useful than cats, they can perform useful tasks

And horses are even more intelligent, at a horse museum there was a display about a horse said to be as smart as a 12 year old child, it could do sums, the Prussian minister for education went to see it :wink:

Cat recognises lost cause and settles down to watch dog expend unnecessary energy chasing something they won't catch
Thornyone

Post by Thornyone »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Anyone got experience with Irish Wolfhounds?
They are very big, high but not bulky
I have read conflicting opinions about their temperament

Are they more stupid than cats?

Some years ago I used to come across an Irish Wolfhound when cycling by my local river. It was massive but it used to run in terror into an adjacent field when I approached and its owner would have a job to persuade it to emerge: a real wimp. :lol:
Whippet

Post by Whippet »

I think intelligence varies a lot over different individuals. My previous Whippet was highly socially skilled and was interested in things that many other dogs didn’t notice. She took a great interest in hot air balloons and helicopters for example. My current Whippet is a moron ( I still love him though ).
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Thornyone wrote:

Some years ago I used to come across an Irish Wolfhound when cycling by my local river. It was massive but it used to run in terror into an adjacent field when I approached and its owner would have a job to persuade it to emerge: a real wimp. :lol:

I had read that they were docile too, not sure there were any wolves left in Ireland for them to hunt
Just remembered :? I have a book all about the breed, just fetched it: on the back cover: '.. legendary courage and tremendous strength..'
In some of the photos they are not so flimsy, have powerful chests

I imagine Gelert was a Welsh Irish Wolfhound

Maybe the Wolfhound you encountered was so big it thought it was a horse, if you were on a bent it would have thought you were a hunting animal, as described elsewhere on these fora
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
Thornyone wrote:

I had read that they were docile too, not sure there were any wolves left in Ireland for them to hunt
Just remembered :? I have a book all about the breed, just fetched it: on the back cover: '.. legendary courage and tremendous strength..'
In some of the photos they are not so flimsy, have powerful chests

I imagine Gelert was a Welsh Irish Wolfhound

Maybe the Wolfhound you encountered was so big it thought it was a horse, if you were on a bent it would have thought you were a hunting animal, as described elsewhere on these fora

They may well be top of the tree in the dog world but I suspect one would have a life expectancy of very few seconds if it even looked the wrong way at this little bath time kitty.

'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

well maybe maybe not

[youtube]UzlQXBk1DuQ[/youtube]

[youtube]ljVXUeSu0I4[/youtube]
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

In the book there is a photo of a Wolfhound standing on its back legs, forepaws on its keepers shoulders
Looks like the hound is about 2m tall
Could it breed with a Chihuahua?
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

says it all

cato muffs?

clever cat.JPG
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

well this dog aint ( or maybe the owner). I wouldnt be seen dead with that on a lead

techodog.JPG
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Cats are less stupid because they do not chase cyclists
But dogs are useful to round up sheep, catch criminals, sniff out drugs &c &c
What are cats for?
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Cats are less stupid because they do not chase cyclists
What are cats for?

Cats are here to tell us that we are not, after all, the centre of the universe or very important at all in the greater scheme of things .... unlike themselves.

Many humans would be unemployed if they didn't have their job of serving a demanding pussycat.

Cugel, also a slave to two dogs.
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Cugel wrote:
What are cats for?

Cats are here to tell us that we are not, after all, the centre of the universe or very important at all in the greater scheme of things .... unlike themselves.

Many humans would be unemployed if they didn't have their job of serving a demanding pussycat.

What about sheep and horses, which is more stupid? Apparently horses think bents are predators as posted elsewhere, is that stupid?
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

Cyril Haearn wrote:What about sheep and horses, which is more stupid? Apparently horses think bents are predators as posted elsewhere, is that stupid?

And half the population run screaming if they see a spider or rodent.
I'm not sure its possible to use our familiarity with man made objects as evidence of stupidity.

The basic problem is stupidity and intelligence are human constructs designed to measure human performance. The truth is we'd make awful horses (or sheep) and sheep would make dreadful horses etc etc.
Even intelligence is such a wide all encompassing thing that there are aspects of it where we're significantly worse than some animals, but to measure it the trick is convincing animals to 'perform' for us which isn't always easy, hence why only now are we beginning to see the bigger picture.
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
Cugel wrote:
What are cats for?

What about sheep and horses, which is more stupid? Apparently horses think bents are predators as posted elsewhere, is that stupid?

I've never met a stupid animal. Well, apart from the human animal, who are stupid on occasion because infested with those terrible memes - notions and beliefs that make us all do very stupid things from time to time.

What is the meaning of the term "stupid", though? Acting against your own interest despite having access to the knowledge and skills that would allow you to act otherwise. Many fine examples can be found in that queer tele dross "Jackass". Politicians and advert men are past-masters at getting all sorts of people to act stupidly, as in voting for Boris or buying a Pinarello like that of Geraint the Helmet despite having an FTP of only 87 and smoking 40 fags a day.

We must differentiate stupidity from mere ignorance. Many (including animals) fail to perform optimally as they lack sufficient knowledge to do so. If we survive a bit of stupid-act, we can acquire this knowledge and become less ignorant. Stupid people know stuff but ignore it in favour of some mad belief that soothes their angst. prejudice or other unpleasant emotion. They prefer to be artificially ignorant, for reasons that aren't reasons.

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Mick F. Cornwall