are cats more stupid than dogs?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
mercalia

are cats more stupid than dogs?

Post by mercalia »

compare the cat stuck up a pole

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-us-canada-43563114/cat-stuck-up-pole-draws-huge-audience

with the dog stuck its head thru a hole

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-england-merseyside-43586544/puppy-called-ringo-starr-trapped-in-tv-cabinet-rescued-by-rspca

well the cat was lucky there were no NRA members around to have a pot shot at it. I wonder what the cat was thinking, maybe there aint many decent trees in that part of the word? I thinbk it just wanted a cats-eye view of the world

goodness knows what the dog thought it was doing sticking its head thru the hole, stupid mutt

when we had a cat it was a clever ginger tom - it could open the fridge and help its self to the fish inside. If for some reason it got caught short and there was no kitty litter around it would head for the bathroom and do it in the bath, clever animal
cycleruk

Re: are cats more stupid than dogs?

Post by cycleruk »

mercalia wrote:goodness knows what the dog thought it was doing sticking its head thru the hole, stupid mutt

Small boys, railings, ears and butter spring to mind. :wink:
You'll never know if you don't try it.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Does the dog know she is a dog?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
bogmyrtle

Post by bogmyrtle »

Nothing to do with intelligence or lack of. The way that cats claws are angled makes it difficult to turn around or reverse after they have started climbing so they have to keep moving forwards I.e upwards.
A bike does more miles to the banana than a Porsche.
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

Need to spend more time in class, based on this one :roll: :lol:
"42"
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

squeaker wrote:Need to spend more time in class, based on this one :roll: :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

bogmyrtle wrote:Nothing to do with intelligence or lack of. The way that cats claws are angled makes it difficult to turn around or reverse after they have started climbing so they have to keep moving forwards I.e upwards.

What evolutionary advantage does that give, not being able to get back down? :?
Norman H

Post by Norman H »

Maybe a dog chased the cat up the pole.

Dogs are too stupid to climb poles and all cats are smart enough to know that.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

A few years ago we had a cat that would chase a ball if you threw it. Throwing a ball on the lawn the cat and our two dogs chased it. I did the old trick of pretending to throw and all three chased it. Threw the ball a few more times then did another pretend throw. Dogs rushed off cat remained still. Watching the cat I noticed it looked at my hand when I threw and only chased if it saw the ball leave it. Certainly shows in those circumstances at least a cat is a fair bit brighter than a dog. They seem to have a good memory as well - that cat never fell for the pretend throw trick ever again.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
bogmyrtle wrote:Nothing to do with intelligence or lack of. The way that cats claws are angled makes it difficult to turn around or reverse after they have started climbing so they have to keep moving forwards I.e upwards.

What evolutionary advantage does that give, not being able to get back down? :?

I guess claws are angled thus so that any small creature caught by the swipe of a paw does not escape easily.
Clearly, climbing back down head first is difficult and so, presumably, is backing down.

I have seen my cat sitting unperturbed six inches from a set of railings at the other side of which is a raging dog. Quite amusing.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

We have three cats.
One a re-home, and two strays that liked it here.
We've had plenty cats over the years, as well as dogs too.

Some of you may know that we have an African Grey parrot. We've had her nearly 35years, so she's seen cats come and go. She's seen it all.

Each time we've had a new cat, they've looked at the parrot cage and thought, "Hey up! Dinner time!" and made a lunge at the cage.

Each of them did that ONCE and once only.
That damned parrot is vicious, and they found that out PDQ. :lol: :lol:
Mick F. Cornwall
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

I'm not sure it's very useful to compare intelligence between species. When it is done it often seems to score highly the things humans value. Cats are very good at doing cat things, dogs at doggy things. Both have talents which we have not.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Mike Sales wrote:I'm not sure it's very useful to compare intelligence between species. When it is done it often seems to score highly the things humans value. Cats are very good at doing cat things, dogs at doggy things. Both have talents which we have not.

well I was reading on the BBC news website of a dog that can sniff out money - useful ability to have :wink: used by the authorities at airports to catch excessive money of dubious heritage leaving/entering the country
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Norman H wrote:Maybe a dog chased the cat up the pole.

Dogs are too stupid to climb poles and all cats are smart enough to know that.

You know how one perceives a dog running silently at an angle to intercept a cyclist?
Saw a cat doing that but it did not challenge me, maybe that was more stupid than a dog, or rather less stupid?

I think dogs are more useful than cats, they can perform useful tasks

And horses are even more intelligent, at a horse museum there was a display about a horse said to be as smart as a 12 year old child, it could do sums, the Prussian minister for education went to see it :wink:
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
I think dogs are more useful than cats, they can perform useful tasks

And horses are even more intelligent, at a horse museum there was a display about a horse said to be as smart as a 12 year old child, it could do sums, the Prussian minister for education went to see it :wink:

Of course, being more useful is what I meant by things humans value.
The story I heard about horses was that if you lead one into a stable with a low lintel, and have to make it duck to get in, it will not be able to work out how to get out. Whereas a donkey has no trouble.