1.April fun 2021

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Cyril Haearn

1.April fun 2021

Post by Cyril Haearn »

There are so many unlikely, fantastic, unbelievable things happening, humour is difficult too (your humour is my nasty insult and vice-versa)

Where are the April-fool jokes, on these fora or elsewhere?

I am off to San Seriffe tomorrow, anyone care to join me? The Grauniad reports from SS regularly, it is great for cycling, suits me because the rules of physics have been changed so that one may cycle uphill without having to ride down again (actually the laws have not been changed, one rides down free on a gravity-powered rack railway, cyclists going up have to pay) :)
Last edited by Cyril Haearn on 31 Mar 2021, 11:00am, edited 3 times in total.
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Cyril Haearn

Re: 1.April fun 2018

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Thought of having an electric car as a second or third vehicle? Nearly all models can do more than 100 km on a full battery so there is no chance of being stranded!

April joke? No, apparently seriously meant, by BUND German nature-friends :(
Spinners

Post by Spinners »

Back in the 1990's I did a good cycling related one.

In the days before internet, forums, club websites and Facebook pages I used to write our club's newsletter which I'd post to all our club members. On the March edition, on the last page, I created a bar code surrounded by a dotted line with a scissor indicating to 'cut out here' and told our club members who wanted to ride our first club event of the season on April 1st to cut out the bar code and sellotape it to their top tube on the left hand side. I then created a very plausible story that we were being honoured in being allowed to test a new prototype RTTC time-keeping system using fixed-post scanners at the start and finish to record riders times and remove human error. Two riders fell for it and when one was ribbed and asked what time he did, fair play, he replied, "tin of beans".

Rewind another 30 years and I was the victim of an April Fool that also involved cutting around the dotted line. My grandfather used to read the 'Daily Express' and on this particular year they ran a Guiness advert where you had to cut around the dotted line within which was an image of a pint of Guiness with a story that it was impregnated with the essenence of Guiness! It explained that if you immersed it into a glass of water and waited 20 minutes or so you'd have a glass of the black stuff to enjoy. I wouldn't imagine many adults would have fallen for it but this kid did - well, it was in the era of the space race where anything seemed possible. I carefully cut out and immersed the paper in a glass of water and patiently watched the clock thinking it quite normal that my family should keep asking me, "Well, has it worked yet"? Happy days.
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Where are the April-fool jokes, on these fora or elsewhere?

I am off to San Seriffe tomorrow, anyone care to join me...

San Seriffe - what's the point?
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Ben@Forest wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:Where are the April-fool jokes, on these fora or elsewhere?

I am off to San Seriffe tomorrow, anyone care to join me...

San Seriffe - what's the point?

Sylfaen or Cambria or Gill Sans (all Welsh), or Bookman Old Style, 14pt bold
Not sure if I love or hate Comic Sans
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I prefer Geneva.
Mick F. Cornwall
fausto copy

Post by fausto copy »

Friends or ours invited us to join them on holiday on the Isle of Wight, both of us in motorhomes.
They booked Ok but our online booking went astray and wasn't sorted until this morning.
I texted them to say we were now booked in and as we were the travel company's two millionth customer, we got the ferry package free. :wink:

I had two texts back, one asking if it was an April Fool and the second asking if we were really that lucky.
Certainly had them worried for a bit. :lol:
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

is this just a British thing? or do other countries do it?
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

mercalia wrote:is this just a British thing? or do other countries do it?

Poisson d'avril.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Had one in Germany but it was a rather complicated political one, not very funny :?
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

Mike Sales wrote:
mercalia wrote:is this just a British thing? or do other countries do it?

Poisson d'avril.

I got caught out by this when my kids were at school, it took ages for me to work out why everyone was laughing when I picked them up. Never did find out who did it.
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

Luthier's humour (and a tutorial with it):

https://youtu.be/2LOTRIKI12M

My own contribution, were I able to cartoon, would be a picture of mourners arriving at that tomb to find the stone rolled away and a large fish* awaiting them.

* poisson or icthos, take your pick.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
RickH

Post by RickH »

I thought this was a good cycling one on Jan Heine's blog. :D
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
Cyril Haearn

Re: 1.April fun 2019

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Just sneaked into the PurgaTory secret conference, made some notes..
JoJo and BoJo are sharing the post of PM, starting tomorrow :wink:

That should make both sides happy
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Thought of having an electric car as a second or third vehicle? Nearly all models can do more than 100 km on a full battery so there is no chance of being stranded!

April joke? No, apparently seriously meant, by BUND German nature-friends :(

Tomorrow I intend to buy one. Is it a bad date for doing so, think 'ee? Car salesmen are known for their waggish tricks and sometimes macabre humour. (Damaging or deadly to the wallet, anyway).

I will fill it up with free electro-juice from the solar panels. But like all cars it's made of stuffs scraped viciously from The Earth. When is dies, it will exude some poisons, like the others which dined on diesel or other oily muck. Will the foolers laugh at me being taken in with the green-talk from the wily salesman? (Why are they always men)?

On the other hand, I already know myself a fool so it won't matter that much if there are sniggers and supressed giggles as I go off with my prize.

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes