Pay to pee?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Mike Sales

Re: Pay to pee?

Post by Mike Sales »

Mick F wrote:That is a long and involved subject!

I'll try and be short.

In the old days, ships had more sailors per ship than they have nowadays. Even in my time, we reduced the manning levels, and by the time I was serving in my last ships, the reduced manning was down to a level where the cleaning and domestics was saved up until we came into port where contract cleaners would come on.

Since the demise of steam power and coal, we didn't need stokers and engine room staff 24/7. This, as well as automated machinery, meant that you didn't need engineers below working the propulsion system.

The weapon systems require few operators. Gun crews aren't needed as everything is automated. Computers control the early warning equipment and we don't need lookouts and upperdeck crews with binoculars 24/7.

All this, means far fewer than half the crew for a given size of ship. This means there is more space for accommodation and hence they can have cabins and bunks and a central galley and dining halls and recreation rooms.

Hammocks used to be slung in the messdecks. When the hammocks were stowed, the tables were laid for the meals. Same space, same room. No other place as there was no space.

I can quite see that one advantage of hammocks as sleeping accommodation is compactness and another stowability, neither of which is needed nowadays, but you were pointing out that they can be more comfortable in some circumstances.
I was watching Hornblower and I suppose you might have regretted the end of the rum ration, but not of flogging!
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Trying to get back on topic
What does the Grey Funnel Line do with human waste? Is it treated, or just pumped into the ocean?
Are modern ships more spacious and comfortable for inmates?
We used to just drain it into the sea. Also rubbish just chucked over the side - called "gash" in the RN.

Theses days, there are sewage treatment plants, and storage. Pumped ashore when in port.
Non-burnable rubbish is put into a compactor, and burnable is incinerated. Stuff is sorted as we do nowadays domestically.

Far more spacious. You can walk the length of the main passageways and never see anyone as the crew sizes have reduced. Definitely more comfortable.
Mike Sales wrote:I was watching Hornblower and I suppose you might have regretted the end of the rum ration, but not of flogging!

The daily rum ration ceased at the end of July 1970. You were classified G, T, or UA.
G = Grog
T = Tea total
UA = Under age ......... you had to be 20 years old.

I wasn't 20 until November 1972, so I never received it as a daily ration. We did have it issued for special royal occasions though - marriages etc.
Mick F. Cornwall
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

The Inlaw Paw used to have stories about sippers and gulpers, and how the supervising officer would find something fascinating near the masthead to look at while the rum left over once the ration had been dispensed was supposedly dumped over the side. If you asked what it was like he would always say "terrible stuff - never drank it". As a medical CPO he could probably get better, though.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

Hi there, With regards to the Rum Ration I find it odd that it was always called "Nelson's Blood" yet his body was preserved in Brandy to repatriate it?
My father was on a Carrier off Iceland during WW2 when the got caught in very rough weather. It was so bad that all of the goods in the spirit store fell & shattered! The fumes where very intoxicating, many of the crew offered to go and clear it up :wink: , but as it was dissolving both the paint & the red lead primer it was considered a health hazard :shock: . Seal for the rest of the convoy, no Rum Ration for anyone for the duration :( . MM
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

merseymouth wrote:Hi there, With regards to the Rum Ration I find it odd that it was always called "Nelson's Blood"
Always????

I've never heard that saying. Maybe it's a civvy expression.
What was it called before Trafalgar?
Mick F. Cornwall
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
thirdcrank wrote:Watch "Songs of Praise." Churches are packed.

In Wales too, the people are so well dressed and groomed on Dechrau canu, Dechrau canmol
(Songs of Praise in Welsh)

Thread resurrection alert

Just read that a service in a church I used to know is being broadcast, staying at home to listen
Doubtless the faithful are required to take their places in good time, not crinkle their hymnsheets or blow their noses or whisper etc
It is in radio, mind, so there is no need to dress up :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Just read that a service in a church I used to know is being broadcast, staying at home to listen
Doubtless the faithful are required to take their places in good time, not crinkle their hymnsheets or blow their noses or whisper etc

Is there an audio feed from the worshippers at home?

Jonathan
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Jdsk wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:Just read that a service in a church I used to know is being broadcast, staying at home to listen

Is there an audio feed from the worshippers at home?

Jonathan

I believe that in the early days Zoom was used and people didn't do such things as mute their mics. As a consequence, people's comments on the quality of the sermon or someone's house or children could be heard.
John
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

One of the technological problems that hasn't been solved during the outbreak is musical practice or performance with lots of participants. Most of the choirs that I know are working with a one-way feed. I don't know if other groups have moved to something like that or to a prerecorded rhythm track. Anyone?

Jonathan