Pay to pee?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Thornyone

Pay to pee?

Post by Thornyone »

I am fortunate to live in a city where the mayor is committed to providing free public loos (well, for “number 1’s” at least: I’m not sure about “number 2’s”, because I confine them to home). I am always outraged when I travel to a different area of the country where a charge is levied for taking a leak, and will find a convenient bush or, if I can get away with it, use the outside wall of the offending facility just to make a point. Never mind about free museums or libraries or public parks etc.: surely the provision of free loos is a basic human right, one of the most elementary services which a civilised society should provide? I feel especially strongly about this as a male of a certain age. :lol: 20p for a pee is simply outrageous!
Cunobelin

Re: Pay to pee?

Post by Cunobelin »

Pingvellir in Iceland has the most unusual WCs

The entire walls are glass, a bit unnerving when you are peeing with an entire Icelandic vista at your back

They used to also have the "prestige" of being the only "pay" facilities in the Country but are now free

You could even pay the £2 charge by card!!!

Thornyone

Post by Thornyone »

£2! Never mind about paying for care homes in old age, with my prostate I’d have been broke in a month. I assume that the charge was abolished because no-one used it and there was a lot of melted snow outside? :lol:
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Thornyone wrote:I am fortunate to live in a city where the mayor is committed to providing free public loos (well, for “number 1’s” at least: I’m not sure about “number 2’s”, because I confine them to home). I am always outraged when I travel to a different area of the country where a charge is levied for taking a leak, and will find a convenient bush or, if I can get away with it, use the outside wall of the offending facility just to make a point. Never mind about free museums or libraries or public parks etc.: surely the provision of free loos is a basic human right, one of the most elementary services which a civilised society should provide? I feel especially strongly about this as a male of a certain age. :lol: 20p for a pee is simply outrageous!

Chap at work is a retired copper. He said in the old days the truncheon had a leather strap on the end. When they saw someone peeing in public they'd get truncheon out, sneak up quietly and flick the end of his knob with the strap. He reckoned it as good a deterrent as any and better than most :wink:
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Thornyone

Post by Thornyone »

pete75 wrote:
Chap at work is a retired copper. He said in the old days the truncheon had a leather strap on the end. When they saw someone peeing in public they'd get truncheon out, sneak up quietly and flick the end of his knob with the strap. He reckoned it as good a deterrent as any and better than most :wink:

Certainly not something a chap would need to worry about nowadays anyhow: what's a copper? :lol:
rjb

Post by rjb »

Last time I was in Salisbury I was charged to use the underground facilities in the market Square. I can only describe the facilities as a medieval bog, and would avoid using them if you can make it to any of the watering holes which abound the square. This article in the local press described them to a pee. Anyone else been caught short and used them.
http://www.salisburyjournal.co.uk/news/ ... _business/
Last edited by rjb on 1 Apr 2018, 9:50pm, edited 1 time in total.
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Near home I know where free toilets are, sometimes one can use a train toilet without buying a ticket, some trains have long layovers between trips
My digestion is very good because I have porridge every day, Number 2s are always done at home
Someone did ask here: why are the facilities at witherspoon always upstairs?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Near home I know where free toilets are, sometimes one can use a train toilet without buying a ticket, some trains have long layovers between trips
My digestion is very good because I have porridge every day, Number 2s are always done at home

Please refrain from urination while the train is in the station.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Mike Sales wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:Near home I know where free toilets are, sometimes one can use a train toilet without buying a ticket, some trains have long layovers between trips

They have closed tanks now, when the tanks are full the toilets are locked. Many 'trains' (railbuses) over here have only one toilet and do trips of several hours
Reminds me of a favourite train story
On a Crasscountry train all the toilets were blocked and could not be used
The Guard, sorry, Customer Care Executive, decided to hand out vouchers, used for example when trains are delayed, to placate the customers
Each received a voucher. For a free drink :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Thornyone wrote:
pete75 wrote:

Certainly not something a chap would need to worry about nowadays anyhow: what's a copper? :lol:

That's a point but they're now trying to involve the community in policing. If a particular area had a load of dirty sods peeing in the street my community solution would be 12 and 13 year old lads hidden nearby with air rifles - a well aimed pellet would doubtless stop a repeat offence :lol:

There is a lot of cctv about these days and the biggest risk of public peeing will be PSPO's and local authority civil enforcement officers. There's an alley on the way from the car park to one of our offices and it's not overly pleasant to walk down on a warm day with the strong stench of stale urine left by the likes of yourself.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Cyril Haearn wrote:They have closed tanks now, when the tanks are full the toilets are locked. Many 'trains' (railbuses) over here have only one toilet and do trips of several hours

Indeed, it's an old song, to the tune Humoresque .

If you want to pass some water, go and find a railway porter.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
ScottishGeek

Post by ScottishGeek »

Thornyone wrote:I am fortunate to live in a city where the mayor is committed to providing free public loos (well, for “number 1’s” at least: I’m not sure about “number 2’s”, because I confine them to home). I am always outraged when I travel to a different area of the country where a charge is levied for taking a leak, and will find a convenient bush or, if I can get away with it, use the outside wall of the offending facility just to make a point. Never mind about free museums or libraries or public parks etc.: surely the provision of free loos is a basic human right, one of the most elementary services which a civilised society should provide? I feel especially strongly about this as a male of a certain age. :lol: 20p for a pee is simply outrageous!

These two statements don’t go together.
Vitara

Post by Vitara »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
Mike Sales wrote:

They have closed tanks now, when the tanks are full the toilets are locked. Many 'trains' (railbuses) over here have only one toilet and do trips of several hours
The Guard, sorry, Customer Care Executive, decided to hand out vouchers, used for example when trains are delayed, to placate the customers

Train toilet with door locked and chap inside is screaming in agony
Guard outside shouts "what's the matter?"
Customer replies, between screams, "its me haemorrhoids"
Guard says "well I've got piles as well but I'm not screaming like a baby"
Customer "yes but yours aren't wrapped around the axle"
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Only public loos I've used in ages were 20p. Most rides are very rural so plenty of hedges/trees/etc.

Ian
Flinders

Post by Flinders »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
Mike Sales wrote:

Not all train loos have sealed tanks, a fe lines still have the horrible old ones. And preserved railways also.