Hither Green 'burglar' stabbing: Man, 78, arrested

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
gnvqsos

Re: Hither Green 'burglar' stabbing: Man, 78, arrested

Post by gnvqsos »

I do not think the funeral merits a mention in the news.It actually gave certain characters an opportuniy to gain further publicity.The cevnt can be recorded without a BBC presence with asimple dignified announcement.Whatever the rights and wrongs of the death,the man in the cofin is entitled to quiet dignified funeral without the grotesque spectacle of quasi-gangsters using it to showcase their bizarre and intimidating demeanour.They are neither the IRA nor the UDA,but part of "left behind Britain".I would not want to wake up and find them in my swimming pool.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Nicely put, "left behind Britain". It reminds me of stories from people who you could say escaped that group but still share a little of their mentality. I've had conversations where criminality was treated as normal. Local shoplifters, lifting to order. Two frozen turkeys please and don't mind the hypothermia getting them out! :D

Put simply there are sectors of society who do not accept criminality is wrong. It's their culture. Unfortunately certain groups are known for it (such as travellers/gypsies) but they're not all like that. It's not just those groupings but certain neighbourhoods too. Buying a £800 bike or power tool from a guy in a pub for £10 is just a good deal rather than handling stolen goods. You might get caught riding it but you just plead ignorance, play the system and lose your £10. No big deal right?

But that all goes into insignificance compared to the deceased scumbag who with his partner in crime (still on the run) robbed, threatened, mugged and carried out confidence scams on elderly people without any conscience. Would they like their granny getting done like they did to other people's grannies? No! But it's not their's so that's ok, they're just trying to make a living right? It's disgusting lack of integrity, morals and conscience. I don't mourn this guy. His death was his occupational hazard. His choice to live like that, his choice led to his death. I don't like needless loss of life but I don't think it's a loss that his life ended earlier than a better lifestyle might have resulted in.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

AFAIK, the alleged accomplice was arrested a while ago. (I posted further up at the time.)

Meanwhile, in other news part of the deceased's family appears to have joined what's sometimes referred to as the settled community.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... -home.html

(Apologies for the DM link. It's in the dead tree Daily T but not online and The Times is behind the paywall.)
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Tangled Metal wrote:Nicely put, "left behind Britain". It reminds me of stories from people who you could say escaped that group but still share a little of their mentality. I've had conversations where criminality was treated as normal. Local shoplifters, lifting to order. Two frozen turkeys please and don't mind the hypothermia getting them out! :D

Put simply there are sectors of society who do not accept criminality is wrong. It's their culture. Unfortunately certain groups are known for it (such as travellers/gypsies) but they're not all like that. It's not just those groupings but certain neighbourhoods too. Buying a £800 bike or power tool from a guy in a pub for £10 is just a good deal rather than handling stolen goods. You might get caught riding it but you just plead ignorance, play the system and lose your £10. No big deal right?

But that all goes into insignificance compared to the deceased scumbag who with his partner in crime (still on the run) robbed, threatened, mugged and carried out confidence scams on elderly people without any conscience. Would they like their granny getting done like they did to other people's grannies? No! But it's not their's so that's ok, they're just trying to make a living right? It's disgusting lack of integrity, morals and conscience. I don't mourn this guy. His death was his occupational hazard. His choice to live like that, his choice led to his death. I don't like needless loss of life but I don't think it's a loss that his life ended earlier than a better lifestyle might have resulted in.

and think of all the oaps who now wont suffer his attentions. I call it a good death.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

thirdcrank wrote:AFAIK, the alleged accomplice was arrested a while ago. (I posted further up at the time.)

Meanwhile, in other news part of the deceased's family appears to have joined what's sometimes referred to as the settled community.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... -home.html

(Apologies for the DM link. It's in the dead tree Daily T but not online and The Times is behind the paywall.)

from the article -
"Henry Vincent Snr, 59, a career criminal who has been jailed for a building scam where his gang preyed on pensioners and doing unnecessary building work moved his caravan onto the estate with his wife Rosemary, 59, two years ago
Their vile tricks of the trade include showing rotten pieces of wood they have brought with them to convince octogenarians they need repairs done.

They also like to squirt water onto the interior walls of pensioners' homes to pretend there is a damp problem.

Vincent Snr, one of at least nine members of the Vincent family to spend time in jail, is a master of these dirty tricks. His last known prison sentence for such an offence ended only recently.

In 2003 he, his son and five of his brothers were jailed for a total of more than 28 years between them for a £450,000 building scam.
"

seems like preying on oaps seems to run inthe family

The article also claims that Vincent jnr was killed with his own screwdriver
Last edited by mercalia on 4 May 2018, 10:57am, edited 1 time in total.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

It was reported yesterday that the murder and serious crime squad were looking for the accomplice. I'm not sure which news outlet I read it in but it was via Google news and likely to be the BBC reporting it.

A lot of the travellers own houses. They buy houses and settle but move around at certain times of the year or when the fancy takes them. Round this way there's even a way of recognising which houses are owned by traveller community members. I once got told but never paid attention (too busy stashing our kit in his garage before a member of the community got to his house. We didn't want the guy to see into his garage (way too much kit on there that wouldn't be in there if the scrote got to see it. I think it's something to do with a certain style of facia board to the house or white paint above doors/windows. I think he said it was a signal so they knew there was others of their community in an area so it was probably OK area for them too.

Anyway, there's lots of them round here. Not all bad but there's enough who are. Treatment of horses and dogs is not good (local tip has their horses roaming free and there's a few horses tethered around the flats in some dodgy parts of town, or the horses kept in lockup garages without windows). And how can I forget the famous gypsy house built inside a large barn so they didn't have to deal with planning applications. They're a strange lot at times.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

thirdcrank wrote:I see that the (alleged) accomplice has (allegedly) been arrested.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-43846203

That BBC report is from 20 April - two weeks ago. I wonder if a more recent report might have said that this or that squad was investigating his activities rather than his whereabouts. :? The left hand being unaware of the existence of the right hand, never mind not knowing about its activities is not unknown, of course.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

4th May, daily telegraph wrote.

The second suspect fled the scene before police arrived and is now being hunted by the Met’s Homicide and Major Crime Command.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/05/03/residents-block-hither-green-street-ahead-henry-vincents-funeral/amp/

Not the bbc but DT. It may or may not be a reliable source depending on your political viewpoint I reckon. Personally I don't know whether he's been arrested but I doubt he has because it never got widely reported. With this case and media interest, which wanes then comes back after something happen, I'd have thought that his arrest by police would be reported widely. Even having located and interviewed him would get reported widely if have thought.

BTW I can easily understand how a member of the traveller community can disappear if they're being looked for by the authorities. Their community has its shady sections a bit more than other communities. A lot of dealings that's best described as off the books.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

yes could be holed up in Vincent snr's estate?
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I think that the explanation here is that the account in the online Daily T is partly the report of the funeral, which is why it's currently on the front page (if that's what you call it online) but then there's more under a headline in red How the victim, 78, was arrested for defending his home That's a rehash of all the earlier stuff from the time of the original incident and immediately after, but I suspect it's not been updated to include anything happening since.
====================================================================
PS

Here's a more detailed account than my earlier BBC link of the arrest of the alleged accomplice, Billy Jeeves on 20 April.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... spect.html
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I see that the inquest into the death of Henry Vincent has begun

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-48134851
Lance Dopestrong

Post by Lance Dopestrong »

Interesting. Sad that a human being died, but it was his call.
MIAS L5.1 instructor - advanded road and off road skills, FAST aid and casualty care, defensive tactics, SAR skills, nav, group riding, maintenance, ride and group leader qual'd.
Cytec 2 - exponent of hammer applied brute force.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

The coroner has ruled that the killing was lawful https://news.sky.com/story/henry-vincen ... n-11709321
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

That's good. I think I had made my decision up earlier but I never had the full facts at the time. Things like he had just taken cocaine and heroine, was coming towards the pensioner with a screwdriver threatening him and wasn't known for violence. :lol:

Sad situation no matter. Never good when someone dies.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Tangled Metal wrote:That's good. I think I had made my decision up earlier but I never had the full facts at the time. Things like he had just taken cocaine and heroine, was coming towards the pensioner with a screwdriver threatening him and wasn't known for violence. :lol:

Sad situation no matter. Never good when someone dies.

an old man against a young one? In any fight I wouldnt rate the chances of the old one in any protracted tussle, stands to reason? The old guy was lucky to get away with not being harmed. no sympathy for the one who died, the world hasnt lost any one of value. I seem to remember reading a piece long time ago about how the family had bought up and estate under dubious circumstances and were not good neighours.