Tracey Emin

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
PH

Re: Tracey Emin

Post by PH »

mercalia wrote:Here is another "work of art" Spencer Tunick
spence.JPG

Another one I like :wink:
Rather than being so negative, how about posting something you do like? I wonder what that could be? Maybe one of Van Gogh's chairs or Picasso's lop sided women? Or maybe you have to travel back centuries to find something classical? Or maybe you'll be telling the cavemen that their painting looks nothing like an antelope?
Maybe my favorite Turner - Sun setting over a lake 1840
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

PH wrote:Another one I like :wink:
Rather than being so negative, how about posting something you do like? I wonder what that could be? Maybe one of Van Gogh's chairs or Picasso's lop sided women? Or maybe you have to travel back centuries to find something classical? Or maybe you'll be telling the cavemen that their painting looks nothing like an antelope?
Maybe my favorite Turner - Sun setting over a lake

I favour The Fighting Temeraire tugged to her last berth to be broken up, 1838

I wonder if Anthony Gormley's work is found acceptable?
I like it.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

PH wrote:
mercalia wrote:Here is another "work of art" Spencer Tunick
spence.JPG

Another one I like :wink:
Maybe my favorite Turner - Sun setting over a lake 1840

Load of rubbish, nowt like art, can't see what it is, what's the point. Eh? What's that you say about one of our most famous painters? A classic? Groundbreaking? What? Some people preferred Constable's cheesy landscapes to this work? Harumph!

:wink:
Flinders

Post by Flinders »

Like most of my fellow professional artists, I get fed up (and profane) when people ask me to explain the likes of Emin's stuff.

However, the simple and polite version, suitable for a family forum is:

'By playing (not nearly as well as a competent professional actor) the role of Bad Girl, she does very nicely out of the art market, which is, at the top, set up for a few dealers with good connections to make a lot of money out of a somewhat larger number of dupes with more money than sense.'

I was working abroad when she was appointed drawing teacher at the RA. When I was greeted with the news by Mr Flinders when he met me at the airport, I thought he was having a laugh. When if found out he wasn't, I was definitely not laughing. :evil:
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Anthony Gormley' yes. He has lots of wire and composite figures that quite nice
figure.JPG

figure.JPG

no, ugly compare with the above ones which have fluid "movment"
north.JPG

I think Turner - Sun setting over a lake one step too far. thrown the baby out with the bath water.

I would have thought any piece is an experiment as you cant know what it will finally look like until its done. whether it works?

I would laugh if the angel fell over, fell flat on its face :lol: it is hideous :lol:

could always use it to scrare off the few pigeons left in Trafalgar Sqr :lol:
Last edited by mercalia on 16 Apr 2018, 2:04pm, edited 2 times in total.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

I can only contribute two things to the debate, I reckon.
1. I'm not qualified to judge modern 'art' (the apostrophes are significant :lol: ).
2. I can't stand Tracy Emin.
Having said that, I back off... :wink:
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
millimole

Post by millimole »

661-Pete wrote:I can only contribute two things to the debate, I reckon.
1. I'm not qualified to judge modern 'art' (the apostrophes are significant ).
I could contribute two things to the debate (but C B A)
1. I've got a degree in Art History (actually Art History & French) with my final year dissertation in 20th century art.
2. I've got a lot of time for Tracy Emin, having read a lot about and by her.

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my wobbly using hovercraft full of eels.
Leicester; Riding my Hetchins since 1971; Day rides on my Dawes; Going to the shops on a Decathlon Hoprider
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

millimole wrote:
1. I've got a degree in Art History (actually Art History & French) with my final year dissertation in 20th century art.

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my gormless idiot phone.

and? what have you to say about her words of love in neon on the railway station?

A qustion. should Duchamp's urinal be part of Art History since all he was doing was taking the p becuase one of his pieces was rejected? If I were to concoct some nonsense in some other discipline due to me feeling I have been treated un fairly should that be part of the history of that discipline? No it would just be part of the human story surrounding it, on the same par as any "bad" habits he might have regarding women :wink:
Flinders

Post by Flinders »

millimole wrote:

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my gormless idiot phone.

If we're trading qualifications, I have a degree in Fine Art (which is what TE's work is supposed to be) and I have no time for her third rate publicity-seeking junk at all...... :mrgreen:
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

Some years ago Emin's cat 'Docket' went missing. She made the usual cat missing posters which went up on lamp posts etc but a lot were taken down by people wanting to have an Emin original. She was very annoyed and claimed that of course the poster was not art - but it makes you think - who is she to say so?

Apparently those posters have exchanged hands for up to £500. Is it art because people other than Emin regard it as such?
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Ben@Forest wrote:Some years ago Emin's cat 'Docket' went missing. She made the usual cat missing posters which went up on lamp posts etc but a lot were taken down by people wanting to have an Emin original. She was very annoyed and claimed that of course the poster was not art - but it makes you think - who is she to say so?

Apparently those posters have exchanged hands for up to £500. Is it art because people other than Emin regard it as such?

flinders -

'By playing (not nearly as well as a competent professional actor) the role of Bad Girl, she does very nicely out of the art market, which is, at the top, set up for a few dealers with good connections to make a lot of money out of a somewhat larger number of dupes with more money than sense.

was the point of ceci n'est pas une pipe of Magritte? taking a humble object and presenting it as art makes it so ( in the eyes of the dupes) - Duchamps loo, emins un made bed, you name it. "Art" is one of the few disciplins that doesnt have a good grasp of the con v genuine?
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Ben@Forest wrote:Some years ago Emin's cat 'Docket' went missing. She made the usual cat missing posters which went up on lamp posts etc but a lot were taken down by people wanting to have an Emin original. She was very annoyed and claimed that of course the poster was not art - but it makes you think - who is she to say so?

Never mind that, was the cat found?
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

Bonefishblues wrote:

Apparently so: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/1898461.stm
PH

Post by PH »

Ben@Forest wrote:Apparently those posters have exchanged hands for up to £500. Is it art because people other than Emin regard it as such?

Yes and no. I think it's for the artist to define their art, if you take something produced by someone else and decide it's art, then that's what it is, but you've become the artist.
Even the detractors get this
Duchamps loo
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Ben@Forest wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:

Apparently so: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/1898461.stm

That's good, I'd not been following the mews on that story.