Alternative uses for........

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
ferrit worrier

Alternative uses for........

Post by ferrit worrier »

I've been having trouble with carb on my old landy, I recently replaced the fuel tank and every four or five weeks a jet blocks up. The crud that is coming into it clean metal looks like fine bits from grinding. It can only be from the new tank . Fitting an inline filter would require the feed from the pump to be replaced with none standard plpework .

Then I had this flash of inspiration Ive got load of old magnets out of redundant hard drives. Cut off the protruding bits and stick them under the tank any more bits will get atracted to them, then when the fuel level is low in a few weeks take out the sender unit and suck out the crud with a big syringe.

Any one else got ideas for recycling odd bits and bobs
Percussive maintainance, if it don't fit, hit it with the hammer.
cycleruk

Re: Alternative uses for........

Post by cycleruk »

I built a kit car many years ago and I didn't realise there was a filter on the pick-up pipe in the tank.
It blocked up just as we were setting off on holiday and took me a day to clear it but that included getting some debris out of the tank.
Basically what I'm suggesting is it possible to fit a small filter on the pick-up pipe in the tank.
Obviously something not affected by petrol/diesel (?).
I think it was made out of sintered bronze but some motorcycles have a fine mesh.
Needs not to be too restrictive but fine enough to catch the particles.
Ebay might give you some ideas.
You'll never know if you don't try it.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

cycleruk wrote:I built a kit car many years ago and I didn't realise there was a filter on the pick-up pipe in the tank.
It blocked up just as we were setting off on holiday and took me a day to clear it but that included getting some debris out of the tank.
Basically what I'm suggesting is it possible to fit a small filter on the pick-up pipe in the tank.
Obviously something not affected by petrol/diesel (?).
I think it was made out of sintered bronze but some motorcycles have a fine mesh.
Needs not to be too restrictive but fine enough to catch the particles.
Ebay might give you some ideas.

Nowhere near as adventurous...

Camera batteries in luggage can come n contact with each other, cause a short and possibly a fire

An inch of old inner tube over the contact end of the battery stops this from happening
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

My best 'alternative use' was when I was 19 or 20 and living in the US. I had a VW Rabbit (Golf) that was rather the worse for wear, and some friends & I took it on a camping trip, where 400 miles from home, the clutch cable failed. The bracket & molded plastic piece that held it in place on the transmission broke off. I crafted a replacement from a plastic juice bottle, some random roadside rubbish, and lots of duct tape. It held together until I dropped my friends off, and by the time I got home I was down to just one or two gears. But then, I was able to fix it properly :)
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
ferrit worrier

Post by ferrit worrier »

Furniture polish.
Stuck for insect spray? try furniture polish..... tinkering in the workshop this afternoon I was being bugged (no pun intended) by a rather large wasp, couldn't find the fly spray but a tin of polish was handy. Give it a go!!!! one quick squirt and it did a great impression of a Stuka. Far quicker than the old fly spray loaded with all sorts of chemic, not to say furniture polish isn't, but it was rather rapid.

Malc
Percussive maintainance, if it don't fit, hit it with the hammer.
rjb

Post by rjb »

Vorpal wrote:My best 'alternative use' was when I was 19 or 20 and living in the US. I had a VW Rabbit (Golf) that was rather the worse for wear, and some friends & I took it on a camping trip, where 400 miles from home, the clutch cable failed. The bracket & molded plastic piece that held it in place on the transmission broke off. I crafted a replacement from a plastic juice bottle, some random roadside rubbish, and lots of duct tape. It held together until I dropped my friends off, and by the time I got home I was down to just one or two gears. But then, I was able to fix it properly :)

Go on tell us if they asked for your advice on Apollo 13 :lol:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

rjb wrote:
Vorpal wrote:My best 'alternative use' was when I was 19 or 20 and living in the US. I had a VW Rabbit (Golf) that was rather the worse for wear, and some friends & I took it on a camping trip, where 400 miles from home, the clutch cable failed. The bracket & molded plastic piece that held it in place on the transmission broke off. I crafted a replacement from a plastic juice bottle, some random roadside rubbish, and lots of duct tape. It held together until I dropped my friends off, and by the time I got home I was down to just one or two gears. But then, I was able to fix it properly :)

Go on tell us if they asked for your advice on Apollo 13 :lol:

:lol: :lol: Of course. The master of makeshift, me. :lol: :lol:
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

While I was driving a Renault the clutch cable broke. On two separate occasions
Was it a Renault 13?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Renault Clio, driving along and the throttle cable broke. We limped home controlling the engine with a piece of string threaded out of the bonnet and through the driver's window and controlling by hand.
Later, I fixed the cable using a length of bike brake cable!

My first car was a Minivan.
The return spring broke on the carb, and it went just after I'd floored the throttle to overtake. The engine wouldn't back off, so I had to switch off. I got going again using a lazzy band for a spring!
Mick F. Cornwall
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

INNER TUBES
The British-based charity enterprise works with 10 Malawian tailors who wash tubes and sew them into stylish wallets, purses and cases. The products are shipped back to the UK to sell internationally and everything raised goes back into the community for childcare and non-profit development in Malawi.

https://www.cycleofgood.com/

Send your inner tubes along to:

Krizevac Project
Atlas Works
Paragon Road
Longton
Stoke-on-Trent
ST3 1NR

TYRES
made into belts
http://www.instructables.com/id/trendy-belts-from-old-bicycle-tires/

CHAINS

bottle opener

http://www.instructables.com/id/Bike-Chain-Bottle-Opener/
hercule

Post by hercule »

My first car was a tiny rear engined Fiat. To start it you turned on the ignition with the key, then pulled a lever between the seats that via a cable operated the starter switch. The cable was forever coming off and a right faff to reattach so I kept a bamboo cane in the car - when the cable failed, I’d go round the back, open up the engine cover and poke the starter switch with the cane. Caused much amusement to spectators who thought I was doing a Basil Fawlty

The same car had other endearing qualities. The engine vibrated so much at high revs that it would unscrew the spark plug terminals. Suddenly going from two cylinders to one on the fast lane of a busy motorway was exciting.

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my wobbly bog brush using hovercraft full of eels