French attack on Vegetarian food descriptions?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
661-Pete

French attack on Vegetarian food descriptions?

Post by 661-Pete »

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyl ... meat-words
Well, some will disagree no doubt, but that's how I look at it. Is the UK going to follow suit?

As it happens, we don't go for veggie 'meat alternatives' very often, we prefer to produce dishes that taste like what they're meant to taste of, not as a substitute for something else. But some folks, I reckon, are going to be mighty upset by this ruling.

I think the main difficulty would be with the naming of 'sausages'. I'm quite ok with veggie 'steak' not being called 'steak' as it isn't; or veggie bacon not being called 'bacon' - ditto. But what other name can there be for a sausage-shaped food item - even if meat-free? We have a recipe for home-made veggie sausages which are delicious, albeit nothing like a meat sausage. We still call them 'sausages' though. 'Croquettes' might be nearest - if that's allowed.

It so happens that products like Quorn are hard to find in most French supermarkets anyway, so for most people the change won't be noticeable.

I'd however be happy to go along with this rule, provided three things:
1) All restaurants in France over and above a certain size (say, 5 couverts) to do their very best to offer a veggie main course. Doesn't have to be cordon bleu every time, but passable (and for customers to report back via Tripadvisor if it isn't).
2) Restaurant dishes described as 'vegetarian' really have to be vegetarian. Grouping fish or seafood dishes as plats vegetariens, or tossing a few lardons into a salad described as vegetarian, are not acceptable to real veggies.
3) Ban foie gras production involving gavage. No ifs no buts here: outright ban.

I'm writing this from France, as it happens. And not holding my breath...
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Ben@Forest

Re: French attack on Vegetarian food descriptions?

Post by Ben@Forest »

Reminds me of a photo of a pub sign I once saw (apologies if it was on here). They were offering 'Veggie con carne"....
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Ben@Forest wrote:Reminds me of a photo of a pub sign I once saw (apologies if it was on here). They were offering 'Veggie con carne"....

Sound's like Mrs Lovett's pies ;)
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Ben@Forest wrote:Reminds me of a photo of a pub sign I once saw (apologies if it was on here). They were offering 'Veggie con carne"....
That would be tautological - as well as highly indigestible... :D
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
tod28

Post by tod28 »

661-Pete wrote:

More of an oxymoron than tautology
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

661-Pete wrote:

What’s tautological about vegetables with meat ;)
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
broadway

Post by broadway »

Maybe the welsh should apply for protection for Glamorgan Sausage.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

If someone has no desire to eat meat why on earth would they want to eat vegetables made to imitate a meat product?
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
rjb

Post by rjb »

Do they eat Bombay Duck in France ?
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

broadway wrote:Maybe the welsh should apply for protection for Glamorgan Sausage.
As it happens, Glamorgan Sausage is one of our favourite meals - thanks to a recipe published in the Grauniad a few years back. We've modified it somewhat: twice as much leeks (200g), more breadcrumbs for coating, and more herbs (a good handful of sage or rosemary if you can't get thyme). Serves 3 or generous for 2. Instead of Caerphilly (pricey!) we tend to use Lancashire (as suggested) or Wensleydale - but not cheddar (too strong). In France we substitute a local mild brebis which seems to work well. Try em! If we can't call them 'sausages' we'll call them croquettes which is close enough.

[XAP]Bob wrote:What’s tautological about vegetables with meat ;)
I was just playing on that old (and rather over-worked) joke put about by carnies - the one about eating [a] veggie....
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

pete75 wrote:If someone has no desire to eat meat why on earth would they want to eat vegetables made to imitate a meat product?

You have a good point - but I'm not about to dictate to the entire demographic of vegetarians and vegans, what they should want their food to taste like! Many have adopted the lifestyle purely on principles and still sustain a craving after the meat they've renounced. They are the sort that will probably relapse eventually, but don't deserve to be castigated.

We have dishes like chilli-con-quorn, made with quorn mince - because I'm too fond of the chilli flavours to give it up altogether. And that's one of a few dishes that just doesn't work without a meat-substitute.
pwa

Post by pwa »

pete75 wrote:If someone has no desire to eat meat why on earth would they want to eat vegetables made to imitate a meat product?

Speaking as someone who doesn't eat meat, I had the same thought when offered Quorn "bacon rashers" that turned my stomach. But the meat resembling offerings do give you something chewy, which is a texture otherwise hard to find in vegetarian food.

My impression of the attitude of French restaurants to vegetarians is very low. I know for a fact that they can do simple things, such as omelettes, that can be veggie if done right, but they seem to object on principle to doing that, as if it is some insult to their usual offerings. Totally inflexible and I've given up on them. I rarely eat out in France. I even make my own sandwiches there, being unable to find a cheese sandwich that doesn't have bleedin jambon on it.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

I would agree. But I wonder if the problem stems from there being few words to describe some vegetarian format foods. e.g Sausage shape is convenient for certain meals but everybody knows the share as "sausage" and I'm not aware of alternative names for the same format.

Ian
softlips

Post by softlips »

A little off topic but I once in Marrakesh working. We went to a restaurant and both ordered the same thing, some kind of stew which was offered with a vegetarian option. Both arrived with meat in, my colleague said she’d requested vegetarian. The waiter took a bowl and picked the pieces of meat out of her portion, handed it back and said “Here, now it’s vegetarian!”
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Reminds me of Yes Minister and the sausage

[youtube]YpipqJNFDOQ[/youtube]