Product Pushers

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Cugel

Product Pushers

Post by Cugel »

Perhaps I have slid from sceptic to cynic but every cycling-related website and magazine I come across seems to be composed of little else except the PR puffs of various cycling goods manufacturers. There are articles masquerading as "reviews" which are far from critical; or emit a weak criticism amongst a long list of "isn't this lovely" breathless gasps of wonder & delight.

The PR-blurb style is everywhere. Even the CTC articles can become infected with it when promoting their own views or doings. Does no one publish in a style that treats the intended reader as anything other than an infantile consumer? Surely we are no longer children watching Blue Peter, becoming enamoured of summick made of an old toilet roll innard and a plastic washing up bottle but made to look pretty with a ribbon?

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
Tangled Metal

Re: Product Pushers

Post by Tangled Metal »

There was a guy called petesy (ptc*) who reviewed outdoors stuff online. He was a private individual who started reviewing stuff he bought then got a following and kind of went full time (with writing articles for magazines). He used to be honest and fair IMHO. Kind of like DC rainmaker is. They're out there but take some finding I reckon. Usually you get directed to them by friends.
buryman

Re: Product Pushers

Post by buryman »

http://www.petesy.co.uk/

Just back on the web after a lengthy absence.