Electric Scooter Hire - The Next Big Thing?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
CREPELLO

Electric Scooter Hire - The Next Big Thing?

Post by CREPELLO »

As a slightly different take on the city bike hire and electric bike thing, we may soon have to adapt to 1000's of hired electric scooters. Coming to a city or town near you soon, do you think?

https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2018 ... -monica-uk

I wonder what the unintended consequences of these micro-transport initiatives will be? Would they be legal in the UK, for either road or pavement use? If not, what are the chances of an entrepeneur just dumping a load of them overnight in a city like they did in Santa Monica, without the council's consent. Would a council resist such a move if the benefits seemed to outweigh the problems?
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: Electric Scooter Hire - The Next Big Thing?

Post by Mick F »

Not legal in UK unless on private land.

Same as any powered vehicle, it must comply with rules and regs. Brakes, mudguards, lights, insurance etc.
Someone will be along in a minute with chapter and verse.

If you go on the continent, you'll see all sorts of electric transport used openly on the roads and pavements, so it's not a EU thing .......... just a
UK thing.
Mick F. Cornwall
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

I met a guy the other day who uses one of them to get around to students, isnt able to walk much do to a bad knee, says it has made all the difference. her said it cost him just £300 and has a 30 km range. I am tempted rather than get a Brompton to running around towns. The guy said he hasnt been stopped by any cops. he does wear a crash helmit. I hope the idea succeeds and they are made legal as they would be much better than a pedelec for running around town?
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Getting stopped by the boys in blue is a chance thing.
No doubt you could use one with impunity for months unless someone shops you.

Don't get me wrong, I think the UK law is stupid (a ass) about this.
Segways, electric skateboards, electric scooters, even fully electric bikes ............ all could alleviate the clogging of the streets.

I saw a Renault Twizzy in Plymouth on Monday. Excellent little car, but sadly the small step to electric scooters being allowed legally on our streets is a pipe dream too far.
images.jpeg
images.jpeg (11.58 KiB) Viewed 1106 times
Mick F. Cornwall
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

Well Mick F, today in Corfu town I saw a coco-mat bike, made of wood!!
It could be your next challenge, the first man to cycle from Lands End to John O'Groats on a wooden bike!!!
Last edited by philvantwo on 25 Apr 2018, 6:58pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

One earnestly hopes not
Those segway things are a curse
Have they gone out of fashion?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies