Derogatory Words On Furum

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
661-Pete

Re: Derogatory Words On Furum

Post by 661-Pete »

thirdcrank wrote:It does produce some results which will baffle anybody who looks to resurrect old threads in years to come

661-Pete wrote: ... In two days' time Chinese people around the world will be celebrating the New Year, the Year of the Rooster. Appropriately, perhaps. There's been a lot of cock-crowing about in recent months and it's going to continue. And is not another name for 'Rooster', 'Chanticleer' - which helpfully rhymes with 'supporter of brexit'? ...
:lol:
Blimey! That must be going back a bit! Because, unless I'm totally mistaken, this year is the Year of the Dog - so I must have made that post more than a year ago...

Yes, I certainly wouldn't have written "supporter of...." anything. To get around the filter, I'd probably have written "brex**iteer" - if that still passes the censor...
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
661-Pete

Re: Derogatory Words On Fur ... um?

Post by 661-Pete »

Incidentally, re the thread title: perhaps you'd better ask one of your friendly neighbourhood cats (or any other furred creature). To my knowledge, none that I know of has anything derogatory written on their fur. Mind you, when there's an un-neutered Tom plus a few females around....
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

It shows that I have time on my hands that I looked to see if I could find the exchange which led to the banning of the R and B words. Using the forum search helpfully brings up the auto-edited replacements, including your reported bizarre sense of rhyme :wink: Are you a Cockney, me old china, by any chance?
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Debs wrote:Meanwhile, a very Derogate-Tory government brings us a very undemocratic and derogatory Brexit complete with patronising and derogatory phrase "Brexit means Brexit" :roll:

I am proud to be a remoan-er
Remoan means remoan
I always make sure to never use one word: the p******e f***y :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

thirdcrank wrote:Are you a Cockney, me old china, by any chance?
If it's me you're asking - no, afraid not ... not even a SarrffLunderner, John....

Never been quite sure how you pronounce "Chanticleer" or other obscure words... I looked up in Chaucer's Nun's Priests Tale in which the eponymous cockadoodledoo features largely, and he appears to rhyme with "peer". But that begs the question: how did Chaucer pronounce "peer"...?
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
OK, On a side note, how many keep the auto complete feature when searching the net, I don't as I do not like being lead around when I am being specific.
I am no good at english spelling so I find myself usually rereading my post several times to see whether it reads as I meant, auto complete can work or not :)

I guess the auto block works as expected.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Vorpal

Re: Derogatory Words On Fur ... um?

Post by Vorpal »

661-Pete wrote:Incidentally, re the thread title: perhaps you'd better ask one of your friendly neighbourhood cats (or any other furred creature). To my knowledge, none that I know of has anything derogatory written on their fur. Mind you, when there's an un-neutered Tom plus a few females around....

I like Furum. I'm going to start calling it that all the time ;)

Or maybe I will reserve it for the rabbit furum I belong to (Mini V has pet rabbits).
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom