Don't cast a clout until the May is out.

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Mick F
Spambuster

Don't cast a clout until the May is out.

Post by Mick F »

Quickthorn/Blackthorn.
(Quick means "alive")

How's your May Blossom?
Ours is finished now, and going brown. The leaves will be out in the next day or so.

I wonder how and when it blossoms up and down the country?
Any reports?
Mick F. Cornwall
jezer

Re: Don't cast a clout until the May is out.

Post by jezer »

My mother always used to say it meant the month of May, but I always maintained it referred to the blossom.
Power to the pedals
fausto copy

Post by fausto copy »

Last month, on another forum, there was a discussion about the title above.
Someone mentioned that it was "the May" rather than the month being referred to.

A reply came from someone dahn sarf saying that their "May" was already in full blossom.
I suspect that it was Blackthorn as I think any May (Hawthorn) would only just be coming into leaf around now, never mind a couple of weeks ago, given the weather we've had.

Our blackthorn has just about finished flowering now and the May leaves are just unfurling too.

Confusing isn't it!
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

I always thought the saying was "until May is out" referring to the calandar month.
For it is possible to get frost late on in May, (in some parts of the country!).

On (a little) more certain ground, May the blossom surely refers only to Hawthorn, which pretty much (in most parts of the UK) always blossoms in May.
Blackthorn can sometimes blossom as early as late March.
All IMHO.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Who May be the next Prime Minister?

May is good, next month the days will start getting shorter :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

May Blossom is the blossom of the Blackthorn as far as I'm aware, but from what I've read, some people think Quickthorn is Hawthorn because it grows "quickly".
Quick means "alive", and it is described as alive because when all other plants and trees around look dead, it comes into flower.

Not seen any Hawthorn Blossom as yet, but we do have Apple Blossom. Out riding later this morning, so I'll keep an eye out for Hawthorn.
Mick F. Cornwall
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

I always though this was a reference to clothing and a warning not to put away the Winter vestments and get the "Summer wardrobe" out
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

fausto copy wrote:Last month, on another forum, there was a discussion about the title above.
Someone mentioned that it was "the May" rather than the month being referred to.

A reply came from someone dahn sarf saying that their "May" was already in full blossom.
I suspect that it was Blackthorn as I think any May (Hawthorn) would only just be coming into leaf around now, never mind a couple of weeks ago, given the weather we've had.

Our blackthorn has just about finished flowering now and the May leaves are just unfurling too.

Confusing isn't it!

I believe you are correct in all these assertions. It's May blossom, which is hawthorn flower, going out (getting pollinated then starting towards the berry) - normally before the end of the month of May.

Blackthorn blossom comes out any time between January and May, depending on the weather but possibly other factors, since it varies so much in it's blossoming season. It was very late this year up here in NW England, as were most things, because of the tedious winter conditions. Even the cycling hordes blossomed late .... but then became prolific, like the current blooms of cherry blossom, when the weather suddenly heated up. There were many, many cyclists (and cherry blossoms) out this Mayday weekend, especially around The Dales.

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
Spinners

Post by Spinners »

Cunobelin wrote:I always though this was a reference to clothing and a warning not to put away the Winter vestments and get the "Summer wardrobe" out

My Yorkshire-born mother used to say, "Never cast a clout, until May is out" meaning exactly what you say above.
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

I’ve always believed it is the Hawthorn blossom which certainly isn’t out yet.
This morning we’ve plummeted back down to 8C and my shorts are back in the drawer.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

12degC out there this morning, with a distinct chill in the air. No sun, 100% cloud though dry.
I'm out riding shortly, and I fully intend wearing shorts, though I might chicken out and wear my longs.
Certainly not a skimpy SS top. :shock:
Mick F. Cornwall
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

May blossom = hawthorn https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crataegus_monogyna

Spring, autumn, and the danger of frost changes by approximately one week for each 100 miles north/south, so Inverness has spring roughly 5 weeks after London does.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

I always thought hawthorn blossom coming out and starting to go over.

Does it matter anyway? I mean we often get the best weather May / June and heavy rain in August. You can't completely cast a clout anytime of the year, let's face it.
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

Vorpal wrote:May blossom = hawthorn https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/

And indeed "Quickthorn" too! Same ref.

The Hawthorn is certainly a quicker hedgemaker than Blackthorn. Strikes root easily,

Blackthorn's bad reputation for puncture and scratch wounds going septic is well deserved!

"I think I must lance this now said the Doc, unwrapping a scalpel blade" :shock: :shock:

Always sterilize such a wound!!
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

IIRC Blackthorn was one of the plants or old village Bobby recommended for defending your property against burglars. He wrote a list of recommended plants and locations for home security in the neighbourhood watch newsletter (he had a regular column and was a keen gardener).

The other plant that was highly recommended was a type of euphorbia that contained a toxin released through thorn scratches apparently climbing up na drainpipe where that is planted will result in highly visible red wealds where the thorns have scratched the skin, including through the clothes. These wealds last a few weeks and allows the police to identify probable candidates by spotting one of the known neighbourhood scrotes with these scratches.

Don't you just love it when your local police officer recommends ways to legally hurt anyone who tries to b burglarise your house!