Smelly Locks

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
thirdcrank

Re: Smelly Locks

Post by thirdcrank »

This is from the Mail Online but it looks like a rehash of a vendor's media release:-
This formula has the ability to compromise sight, cause shortness of breath, induce vomiting and permanently sticks to the clothes worn by the bike burglar.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/ ... othes.html
In that Mail Online link, there's a link to some of the vendor's publicity, which includes some of the legal small print you might expect in the most litigious country on Earth
SKUNKLOCK is LEGAL - We have taken the necessary precautions to ensure that the SkunkLock is legal and compliant with US laws and regulations. On March 2016, we conducted a survey of state laws within the United States regarding the sale and ownership of SkunkLock products. We have identified that there are some possible limitations of shipping the SkunkLock to certain states within the US due to the fact that some versions of the SkunkLock may contain capsaicin compounds. We know that these regulations were enacted with pepper spray in mind. Although the SkunkLock is not strictly a pepper spray product, in order to ensure compliance, we may initially reserve our right to refuse directly selling and shipping our SkunkLock product to certain states or countries. However, we also reserve the right to ship SkunkLock products that contain our alternative formula that does not utilize capsaicin as a primary irritant; thus, ensuring our compliance in those states. Please visit our website for further information and our latest stance on legal compliance and check with your local and State laws as these may differ from state to state and country by country.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/skun ... hts-back#/
For anybody with deep pockets thinking of gaining a bit of fame by having their name in the title of a decided court case, the vendor's own publicity describes the chemical as "noxious." Noxious substances have been anathema to our legal system since at least Victorian times.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Well, I was bemused and beflummoxed at seeing my handle as originator of a thread titled "Smelly Locks" (was it on one of those days when I'd run out of shampoo? :oops: ) - but now all has become clear. :roll:

I think I'll stick to my padlock and hard-steel chain, thanks very much. As I understand it, chains are much harder to cut - either with a hacksaw or with bolt cutters - than a D-lock or cable. Others may have a different view on this.

Of course someone with enough skill could presumably pick any padlock, no matter how fancy...
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

I didnt know the post went back so long ago was ina recent Guardian article again
Is this bike really theft-proof?
https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2018/may/05/bike-theft-proof-van-moof-yerka
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

I read the thread title as Smelly Socks :shock:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden