Blocking Post From Users.

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
661-Pete

Re: Blocking Post From Users.

Post by 661-Pete »

I've heard 'stuff' about Mumsnet before now, but, understandably, I haven't taken much notice. Perhaps I should be more aware of what's going on in the cyberworld around me, even if it doesn't concern me directly...
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

I had disputes with a couple of people here but soon got over them, they did sit in my head for a few hours

I am as soft as anyone else, I cry occasionally (usually when musing on positive memories, mind :wink:)

If someone is nasty on the www can one just ignore them? They probably do not know where I live. They likely have serious problems themselves
Can someone explain why trolling is so nasty?
Diolch
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
pwa

Post by pwa »

This is a limitation of "social media". In the "real" world where I deal with people face to face I naturally apply a filter, as we all do, gravitating towards people who I get on with and restricting myself to a brief "hello" with people I don't find easy to be with. I have a selected social circle in which I only spend time with people I want to be with. On "social media" I have to tolerate folk I am less comfortable with to enjoy those I positively like. Blocking people just to see their comments quoted by someone else makes no sense to me. I just need a thicker skin and a sense of perspective.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Ignoring is good, fortunately my enemies do not know where I live
Besides, 'she who has many enemies, has many friends' :wink:
Lance Dopestrong

Post by Lance Dopestrong »

Cyril Haearn wrote:There are not many nasty people on these fora...

Shut it, and hand over your wallet! :lol:
MIAS L5.1 instructor - advanded road and off road skills, FAST aid and casualty care, defensive tactics, SAR skills, nav, group riding, maintenance, ride and group leader qual'd.
Cytec 2 - exponent of hammer applied brute force.
sjs

Post by sjs »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Ignoring is good, fortunately my enemies do not know where I live
Besides, 'she who has many enemies, has many friends' :wink:

Are your enemies enemy enough that you would worry if they did know where you live? That sort of enmity would go beyond the kind of bickering that seems to happen here.
pwa

Post by pwa »

Lance Dopestrong wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:There are not many nasty people on these fora...

Shut it, and hand over your wallet! :lol:

:lol:
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

There was a comment about someone's foe not being able to post with any coherence. I thought he meant me then I spotted the comment "doesn't post much" and felt relieved. :wink:
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

Tangled Metal wrote:There was a comment about someone's foe not being able to post with any coherence. I thought he meant me then I spotted the comment "doesn't post much" and felt relieved. :wink:

Well, I'll just mention that I appreciate your rambles. I feel impatience with the tweeter of one-line nothings, as well as with the incoherent blatherer. Sometimes we disagree but this is the pleasure of argument and discussion!

I'm often surprised when people go on about only having intercourse (not that sort of intercourse) with people they get on with, like-minded people, people like themselves, people who affirm their own opinions, etcetera. This is like talking to yourself. Personally I like someone to be not-like-me, as they are then automatically interesting. I don't need to hear my own opinions played back to me, really. I could just look in a mirror or buy a tape recorder!

It's also a surprise when people sugest, "You wouldn't talk to someone like that in person". I'm afraid I do. Some get a bit hot & bothered at first but they generally take two minutes before they're enjoying the interchanges. Perhaps they suddently realise just how bored they were with a lack of exciting talk? Even the steely-eyed hard lads come 'round to it. I've not been punched i' the heed yet! Of course, I don't mind be ing called a fool, idiot or even unpatriotic. AFter all, I am sometimes.

Finally, I'd just like to mention that I have had my mind changed here and elsewhere by often vigorous discussions. At skool I was often accused of arguing for something with an annoying tencity; but also of always changing my mind. These accusations were meant as criticism but I still take them as a compliment. :-)

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

There is one regular forum poster who is coherent on many topics but whose literacy skills crumble when they become provocative.
ambodach

Post by ambodach »

Never bother blocking anyone even tho’ a few seem to make unnecessary snide comments sometimes.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
A bit like sticking your fingers in your ears.

It's maybe that they are in early stages of senile dementia.

Or just autistic.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

People are so different and diverse, one realises that again and again, this is true even of cyclists
Plus One for diversity of opinion, in theory at least :wink:
vat1666firerates1

Post by vat1666firerates1 »

[XAP]Bob wrote:Had to go and check, but I still have one 'foe' listed.

The user has not been active in a while, but had no ability to type in a coherent or intelligible manner.
Additionally the content that I did manage to decode was utter tripe.

Details please
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

vat1666firerates1 wrote:
[XAP]Bob wrote:Had to go and check, but I still have one 'foe' listed.

The user has not been active in a while, but had no ability to type in a coherent or intelligible manner.
Additionally the content that I did manage to decode was utter tripe.

Details please

Why?